Sugawara's Ring and Ribbon Back in Stock

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.

Steve S.

Re: Sugawara's Ring and Ribbon Back in Stock

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:27 pm

I have always liked Tenyo's Miracle Ring and the Mickey version for kids. Then, I discovered the Fantasma version and found that one to be much better for several reasons. It's unusual for me to prefer a non Tenyo version of an effect but in this case, it's the way to go IMHO.

I am wondering what is so great about the Sugawara version which makes it worthwhile to spend $60 for it when the other versions cost 25% of that. I know it's a larger ring which is more suitable for parlor/stage but what other +'s does it have?
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:46 pm

It's f*cking amazing. Real magic. It pounds all other versions into the dirt.

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's f*cking amazing. Real magic. It pounds all other versions into the dirt.
Well that made my mind on which one to get :lol:
Simon from Aus (but English)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:08 am

Hmmm ... with all do respect, but as a CLOSE UP (!) trick to me the effect on spectators is less than the 'other' versions like Miracle Ring or the Fantasma Ring On Shoelace.
I'm confident this ring can not be shown up close because there's clearly some kind of s*** in it ... .

But, as a parlor effect I agree this looks pretty darn awesome :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:57 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Hmmm ... with all do respect, but as a CLOSE UP (!) trick to me the effect on spectators is less than the 'other' versions like Miracle Ring or the Fantasma Ring On Shoelace.
I'm confident this ring can not be shown up close because there's clearly some kind of s*** in it ... .

But, as a parlor effect I agree this looks pretty darn awesome :)
I must agree with you David.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm

I have the Sugawara Ring and Ribbon. All I can say is that it's f*cking amazing. Real magic. It pounds all other versions into the dirt.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Rob Rand wrote:I have the Sugawara Ring and Ribbon. All I can say is that it's f*cking amazing. Real magic. It pounds all other versions into the dirt.

You too huh?

Well, if it's going to start a fight with my other three versions, then I certainly don't want it! Who needs that aggravation? :lol:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
Now there's no need to be crude David ;)
Now you see me...

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:26 am

I agree there is some kinda s*** in it. :D

So everyone here that got this Fantasma's Ring Escape is able to easily do all that is seen on this video and more? Looks really good to me yet it will need lots of practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMM1ha4nrDs
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 am

To do a complete routine with the Fantasma Ring Escape, you will need to put some serious practice into it.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 pm

The Fantasma ring on rope is similar to Tenyos ring on rope. I have a few versions of this trick and consider Tenyos as the best.

Sugawara ring on ribbon is from a totally different universe. The ribbon makes this effect possible and really penetrates the ring, which is baffling.

But the Fantasma/Tenyo version is easier to perform AND examinable.

No, Sugawara's ring is not examinable. You can't have everything.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:32 pm

I just returned home and found that my Sugawara Ring & Ribbon had been delivered. I'm hosting a lecture tomorrow, so I'll either start playing with this later this evening or sometime on Sunday. From what I can see at first glance I would agree with the "not for close-up" statement, but we'll see...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:06 am

Steve S. wrote:To do a complete routine with the Fantasma Ring Escape, you will need to put some serious practice into it.
Agreed. While it's not difficult, you need to get the handling and different phases of the routine right, and that takes practice, and you need to remember everything, pfew! ;)
I use my own 'simple', 'quick' routine. Ring on rope, take of rope. Ring on rope, spectator has ring in hand, you pull the rope of. That's basically it :lol: .

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:01 am

Both versions look great, but personally the way Sugawara's version slow releases from the ribbon leads my eye to only one conclusion, there has to be a s*** in the ring and I wonder if the audience would be thinking that too. This would only be confirmed when upon asking I would have to refuse to hand them the ring. Don't get me wrong the release is wonderful to see and does look magical, but I think would play best in parlour or stage where the audience doesn't really have the chance to ask to see the ring.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:31 am

Completely agree with you PeterW. Excellent and very magical to see ... from a distance and without the 'grabbing hands' afterwards ;)
I know, when people ask to see the ring it also has to do with how you presented it and the routine you came up with, but for me as a hobbyist for sure they would want to see the ring! Blame it on me ;)
A professional magician or even a hobbyist who puts time and effort in this little gem probably won't have spectators asking for the ring (or ribbon for that matter), simply because the way he performed it deals with that: spectators will believe there is nothing unusual with the ring and won't ask for it.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:23 am

I have a stupid question that you don`t need to answer :)
For all ring and ribbon or rope effects, does the ribbon/rope penetrates the ring or the ring penetrates the ribbon/rope ? :) Sounds stupid enough right ?

Same thing I heard from a "zookeeper : How do you differentiate male and female zebra ? Male Zebra is actually a black zebra with a white stripes and female zebra is a white one with black stripes :) :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 am

Not a stupid question at all Victor! Actually, I think that the ring penetrates the ribbon. In essence, ring on ribbon, not ribbon on ring.

Perhaps the patter would best determine which is taking place. What you tell the audience is what they are led to believe. No?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am

Steve S. wrote: I am wondering what is so great about the Sugawara version which makes it worthwhile to spend $60 for it when the other versions cost 25% of that. I know it's a larger ring which is more suitable for parlor/stage but what other +'s does it have?
Steve, regardless the price of this prop, in my opinion the direct and visual penetration makes this trick so special. I never see other ring and rope/ribbon effect that does a direct penetration that looks fair and without doing any " secret move" with the ribbon. The way Mr. Sugawara came up with the method (how the s*** should be cut in the ring and how exact the position should be) is already an "expensive" idea in my opinion.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 am

Steve S. wrote: I think that the ring penetrates the ribbon. In essence, ring on ribbon, not ribbon on ring.
But somehow I see it differently in Sugawara`s version :) Well at the end we see a same effect actually. Sometimes I think too complicated Steve. :lol:

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 am

I just watched Sugawara's demo again and do agree with you Victor that at one point, I do indeed see it as a ribbon on ring effect. So, I guess it's the handling which determines what seems to be taking place.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Sugawara's trick is not an -under-the-spectator's-nose close-up effect, but it's certainly the most beautiful of any penetration of a ring off a ribbon or rope I've seen.

You need to be at least two to three feet away.

The Tenyo and Fantasma effects are both copies of UF Grant's "Swing a Ring." It's an old trick.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:14 am

This is a very interesting conversation ...

Regarding the psychology of this effect, I believe that the reason that people want to examine the Ring (SEO Sugawara $60.00 version) is to confirm what they believe that they already know ... how it was done. Furthermore, watching this version leads most to correctly determine the solution to the trick. The spectator just wants confirmation.

This is a very different premise than a spectator who wants to examine a trick to DISCOVER how a trick was done!

For me, the $20.00 Tenyo Miracle Ring which is not near as physically elegant as the $60.00 version, is a far superior visual effect! It is "RAW" looking, but oh so visibly compelling. Here is the link to a beautiful demonstration of that version ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEfN5vnwfs
and now, on with the show ...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:06 am

They thanked Bob Little on the video. That's funny! I have known Bob for many years and see him every month at our SAM assembly meetings and don't recall knowing that he had anything to do with that effect. I'll have to mention it to him the next time I see him.

After watching that video and thinking about it some more, I suspect that maybe it is better than the Fantasma version because it is stripped down and naked if you know what I mean. Just a ring and ribbon. No fancy design, etc. to complicate the appearance of the effect in any way.

I also agree with Bob concerning why the spectator wants to examine the ring with the Sugawara version.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:12 am

Steve, as an owner of both versions, and I don't really know why, I prefer the shoelace version ... perhaps the gimmick is better hidden with the black/white colors. But Tenyo's version looks more classy.

By the way, here's an extremely simple presentation of the trick; learning time: under 1 minute :D His first 'move' when he threads the ring on the lace is quite convincing by the way.

PS: it is quite easy to make your own version with a real shoelace. You can even have the shoelace in your ... shoe :lol: , and take it 'out' to perform this. How's that for 'organic' magic :D