Problema Deluxe by Viking

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Problema Deluxe by Viking

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:47 am

See here: http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/pro ... ts_id/1349

While this is a fun trick to perform and very easy to do/self working (it was invented in Germany decades ago) the advertisement bothers me for two reasons ... .
  • At the end it sais 'please examine all items' but this is just not possible ... . You can NOT let everything be examined, unless you dump the gimmick (which isn't THAT hard if you sit down while performing).
  • Also, it needs a reset (as shown in the video, so not a big problem here) and a, as Ned Flanders would say, switcheredoodidely when you want another number to appear on top (which also isn't hard to do).
Just wanted to let you guys who are interested know ;)

PS: there are cheaper versions available which work equally well (I own one) but do not come with the nice looking wooden box.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Problema Deluxe by Viking

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:11 am

Hey what a coincidence, I just ordered Problema deLuxe at marchanddetrucs.com (along with an other beautiful dice-trick), it is the Viking one! I actually don't know how this trick exactly works, although I have some theories...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:15 am

It's a very nifty secret Rob, you'll like it :P

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:19 am

Glad to hear! I like nifty secrets! :-) By the way, the other trick I ordered was the Hua Hin Dice Box... Do you know that one, David?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 am

I have a nice version of the dice trick that uses magicians choice and 6 cards with images of the open box and dice arranged to show all one number. It's a great trick and one that I use a lot, good purchase rob :)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

OK, good to hear the Problema is not a dumb trick, I'll receive it next week, you make me curious about your handling with 6 cards with images of the open box, did I read that good? Sounds pretty weird (that means GREAT!) Simon... Maybe you can let me know more about that? You can PM me if you want.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:05 pm

The Hua Hin Dice Box is by Magic Wagon but I don't own it. I did read some reviews and people have mixed feelings about it. In any case let us know what you think :) By the way it is sought after by some Magic Wagon collectors so if you don't like it you can be pretty sure you could sell it for the same or more ;)

Perhaps Simon is refering to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1jXwEkc1I ? I believe it works in a similar way (more or less) as Problema.

By the way Rob let us know what the quality of the gimmick is in Viking's Problema. I've heard it is a bit 'thick' ... I can't go into much more detail for now :geek:

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks David. I will let you know about the Problema next week. By the way, there is an other Hua Hin Dice Box for sale somewhere, for someone interested. (It is BTW in a webshop from Belgium :-) )

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:27 pm

The cards I was talking about just show the open box with either all ones, all twos etc...
You remember your force numbers position in the pack false shuffle them and lay them out face down. You then perform magicians choice until they are left with the one you wanted them to choose then.. Well you know the rest. :)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:31 pm

SimonC wrote:The cards I was talking about just show the open box with either all ones, all twos etc...
You remember your force numbers position in the pack false shuffle them and lay them out face down. You then perform magicians choice until they are left with the one you wanted them to choose then.. Well you know the rest. :)
OK Simon thanks! I know enough...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Rob Rand wrote:Glad to hear! I like nifty secrets! :-) By the way, the other trick I ordered was the Hua Hin Dice Box... Do you know that one, David?
Hi Rob,

I have Hua Hin dice box by MW. It is a great trick, but is actually very old. I have a magic book from the early 1900s and remembered reading about this trick in there. It does not use a cool mechanical gimmick- very simple and old school. Hope you like it!

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 am

PS: there are cheaper versions available which work equally well (I own one) but do not come with the nice looking wooden box.

I've got mine from Maxello. A very easy to perform with GREAT effect! You will get a big-rolling eyes :roll: impact from the spectators, proven at the restaurant.
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 am

John B. wrote:
Rob Rand wrote:Glad to hear! I like nifty secrets! :-) By the way, the other trick I ordered was the Hua Hin Dice Box... Do you know that one, David?
Hi Rob,

I have Hua Hin dice box by MW. It is a great trick, but is actually very old. I have a magic book from the early 1900s and remembered reading about this trick in there. It does not use a cool mechanical gimmick- very simple and old school. Hope you like it!
OK John thanks for the information .... well actually I ordered this Hua Hin Dice box as an alternative for an other trick who wasn't available anymore, some kind of a second choice... But I was planning to combine the Problema deLuxe with the Hua Hin Dice box in 1 routine...
By the way, was that book from Professor Hoffmann? I own his books as ebooks (thanks to Lybrary.com), but did not read all the items...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:The Hua Hin Dice Box is by Magic Wagon but I don't own it. I did read some reviews and people have mixed feelings about it. In any case let us know what you think :) By the way it is sought after by some Magic Wagon collectors so if you don't like it you can be pretty sure you could sell it for the same or more ;)

Perhaps Simon is refering to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1jXwEkc1I ? I believe it works in a similar way (more or less) as Problema.

By the way Rob let us know what the quality of the gimmick is in Viking's Problema. I've heard it is a bit 'thick' ... I can't go into much more detail for now :geek:
David, the link of the video is referring to Tommy Wonder's Rubik's Card. Well, I own that one too (it's also described in one of his books by the way, you could make it yourself).That really boggles my mind concerning the working of the Problema!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 am

Well I don't own Rubik's Card, I only assume it works in a similar way, not sure though!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 am

David, the working of Rubik's Card differs totally from that of the Problema! Rubik's Card is really brilliant. The nice thing is, you could make it yourself, if you like to glue pieces of cards onto little blocks. By the way, the manufacturer of Rubik's Card is Indomagicland.

Today I received Problema! The one made of Asian Rosewood. I already had an idea how it worked, and that seemed to be the case! No, the gimmick is in my opinion not thick! It really is a great effect!

I also received the Hua Hin Dice box. I only read the instructions, and indeed it is based upon an old principle. It is also absolutely overprized! But the coming time I will play with it, and eventually let you know what's the spectator's reaction.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am

PS Are there any lurkers around? The Problema-trick was sold out very quick at Seomagic!