Amazring by Viking Magic

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Amazring by Viking Magic

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:25 am

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Amazring by Viking Magic

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:50 pm

David. I ordered this trick, but on the Magic Cafe they say about it:
Its a very old principle, I had something similar put out by the sUPREME mAGIC cO. WAY BACK IN THE 70S, NOT A BAD EFFECT.
teevtee

Special user

791 Posts Posted: Oct 4, 2013 1:02pm Reply with quote View Profile of teevtee
This is similar in many ways to a smaller and less impressive version of Dean's Box and works in the same way only without as many phases or nearly as strong.
It's not a bad effect but if you can afford it I would consider Dean Dill's Dean's Box for sure WAY over this.
I saw the video, a certain handling on one side looked a bit suspicious. It is a gaffed box. Nevertheless I ordered it.

By the way, they refer to Dean's Box, and I found out that that routine is based on a very simple principle, childishly easy to do, to be found in Karl Fulves' Self Working Table Magic. I ordered this book, now I can make my own Dean's Box or a varation on that!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:15 am

I'll wait for your review Rob :)

By the way I once saw how the ropes get tided up on an instructional video on Youtube. It is on Julian's Magicians School channel. Julian used a piece of napkin to hide what is happening, but it was indeed extremely simple! Dean Dill confirmed it was a very old principle, he added a m***** in the box for the I believe the second or third phase of the routine.

I've been thinking about buying Dean's Box several times but when you know how it works it is very easy to build your own version out of cardboard for example. Deans Box is a wonderfull constructed box to own nonetheless :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 pm

David, although I already sent you an email about Amazring, maybe this information is useful for the forum members:

Amazring does NOT work with magnets.
You MUST do something suspicious at the other end of the prop, the rope is shorter there, and that has a reason.
There is no way to overcome this. The mechanism (yes, it has a mechanism inside, hidden and examinable for a moment, elaborate inspection is not really possible) is perhaps clever, but the handling is not very impressive.

Yes, you can do this handling way better with Dean's Box, without any gimmick, just your fingers inside the box. Part 1 and 2 of the routine of Dean's Box are very easy to do yet very deceptive for the audience.
Part 3 with the ring requires a magnet inside the box. Only for the ring this magnet is necessary.

I made Dean's Box from a cardboard box, and performed it for my wife, and she was absolutely surprised.
I bought self-adhesive stuff meant to stick on kitchen drawers (marble look) and it looks beautiful. Total costs 10 euro :-)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 am

Always wondered how the ropes go together in Dean's Box? Well this fellow explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Yrj7xpbWc
It is a very old principle Dean Dill used, so there's nothing wrong revealing the secret Julian must have thought.
I would LOVE to see a micro-version of this trick - a nice small wooden cabinet and two nice golden strings. Rob? Simon? I don't know if it's possible of course because you do need to use your hands out of site to 'tie' the ropes together ... . But there's a solution for everything 8-)

Julian has some other good tricks very well explained on his channel and is very nice fellow to speak with.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm

YES David! I was already thinking about making a mini-version of Dean's Box! MUST be possible for sure! But actually everybody could make it :) I found the solution in Karl Fulves SW Table magic (the 1st rope session), the 2nd rope trick I figured out myself by closely looking the video, but all credits go to Dean Dill for transforming such a simple rope trick into a impossible looking miracle!!

The biggest miracle is for me that the audience is stunned and has no clue! Therefore I acutally like simple principles (like the Ribbon Cabinet has too... but vey difficult to figure out...). But I have the impression that you David has figured Ribbon Cabinet out already, maybe after an endless search on the internet. :)