Is it me or won't this fool ANYONE?

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Is it me or won't this fool ANYONE?

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:30 am

This seems so incredibly obvious to me ... almost an insult for the person you perform it for. Or am I missing something?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Is it me or won't this fool ANYONE?

Post by SimonC » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:43 am

it might work for the spectator but it's not a good trick to put on you tube.
plus, if your spectator is truly believing their card is in the envelope they'd be a f*****g idiot to rub a magnet all over it. it's a nice idea and as I said I'm sure to the spectators eyes and with misdirection I'm sure is absolutely fine. I'll always have a soft spot for small brown envelopes though.
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:11 pm

The switch of the card is ridiculous. If that can be done in a more elegant way, I would say the trick is OK and interesting, but the way it is performed in the video I would say it is bad.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:28 am

This envelope switch can be found in the Tarbell Course of Magic. It can be used to vanish or change objects. It is usually used for Bank Night type of effects.The switch is more deceptive close-up than on video. The performance could have been improved if he started with one stack of envelopes and placed the two plastic in the envelopes first. This will condition the audience that the actual switch is a natural action. The simple addition of wrapping the stack of envelopes with rubber band will also enhance the effect.

If you carefully watch the switch it is not so bad at all but the presentation where he places the credit card on top of a stack of envelopes and the plastic cards in another set of envelopes is bad magic.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:40 am

I think it is much better to use money and paper for this kind of effect. Because you can burn the envelope and it is not obvious that the spectator's money was not inside.

If you are interested you can check out my burned banknote routine here (I developed a special way to steal the bill out of the envelope where there is no need to fold the bill too small):

The part with the envelopes begins at 4 minutes (sorry it is all in hungarian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vbqMyf8FzY
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:37 am

that's a great performance! was it a competition or a variety show? great twist on the trick and very funny.
Now you see me...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks. It was a magic gala show last year for the public in Budapest.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu