Thomas Pohle is a thief

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
CollinW

Thomas Pohle is a thief

Post by CollinW » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:09 pm

Scumbag Thomas Pohle and is side kick scumbag Joe Long decided to copy AND SELL one of my Mr Danger stage illusions without so much as asking me or even giving me credit. These two are the lowest of low as far as I'm concerned.

I have no respect for anyone openly coping and selling someone else's designs. They are the definition of SCUMBAGS!
Last edited by CollinW on Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ØyvindK

Re: Thomas Pohle is the thief

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:25 am

What? I haven't seen that, but I guess that Pohle made his version using other techniques than 3D-printing?

Since you did not release the files (AFAIK), this version must be a conceptual/visual copy of your work/idea, and not an exact copy, right?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do about it, but I think in the very least he/they should have credited you for the idea.

lnlver

Post by lnlver » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:06 am

danger2.jpg
danger1.jpg
Pohle's version is made of wood and metal. I think Tenyo would also object to the sale of one of their tricks like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:29 am

Ah, so Pohle actually made the full trick (with CollinWs concept idea), not just an addon to the Tenyo version. In that case, it is even worse in my opinion. Tenyo might see it as different enough to not care, though.

Is there a video as well?

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:48 am

Where do these pictures and this information come from ?

Is it certain that this version will be sold to the public ?

If so, then I find this a very audacious behavior ...

lnlver

Post by lnlver » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm

If Tenyo is aware of this, they probably wouldn't care too much.

It's exhausting and time consuming to make these by hand, and Thomas Pohle can't make enough of them to pose a serious threat to their bottom line. (I know that I will never become rich by inventing a trick. Lol)

The least Pohle could have done is to credit CollinW for the concept.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 pm

Not surprised by this. TP has done this before, also with one of my creations…

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:17 pm

Rob Rand wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 pm
Not surprised by this. TP has done this before, also with one of my creations…
I remember that. "No honour amongst magicans".

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:35 am

Sorry to see this Collin- your original pieces are brilliant works of art.

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:58 pm

Well, I’ve been working on three more mini stage illusions for Mr Danger and had planned on showing them online but have now decided to keep all future designs private.

I’ve designed copies of past tricks for my personal collection and would never stoop so low to reproduce them to sell..…ever.

This behavior just rubs me the wrong way, so much so that I’ve decided to stop publicly posting my designs as well as my participation in this magic forum.

I’ve met some good people over the years here and wish you all the best. My magic friends know how to get in touch with me.

Bye,
Collin

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:55 pm

Losing Collin from this forum is a real loss.
His creations are truly inspiring and re-energized my interest and enthusiasm in magic.

I had a similar experience a number of years ago.
One of my other passions is arranging and composing on classical guitar. (Collin has heard some of my work)
I had shared several of my arrangements of popular Christmas tunes on a guitar forum. Shortly after, someone had taken one of my arrangements, note for note, and claimed it as their own. Shortly after that, someone else recorded one of arrangements on a Christmas CD they were selling, claiming the arrangement to be his own work.

I can’t begin to describe how negatively I was impacted by this.
I too stopped participating in that forum and have never shared my work online since.
I will never understand the selfish mindset behind individuals that do this!

Collin, if you see this post, know that you will be missed!!! ☹️

lnlver

Post by lnlver » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:28 am

I hope Collin decides to hang around but not post images of his creations. His input on several topics is welcomed.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:49 pm

So there is a video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYrBxIK-tg

The video was uploaded in May, while Collin showed his version half a year earlier. TPs version is almost identical to Collins original, but he did of course use different materials, and he also didn't use the original Tenyo prop. The video shows that his version isn't operating very smoothly, and the secret is also much more visible, I think.

Creating copies of tricks for personal use is never a problem, but when copies are made for sale, then the original creator should be asked permission. TP clearly doesn't care, which I have no respect for.

Ralf R

Post by Ralf R » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:45 am

I am almost shocked to see that Thomas Pohle so obviously stole the design idea of Collin's Mr. Danger version for commercial purposes. And according to Rob, this hasn't been for the first time. Very sad that Collin decided to leave this forum because of this shameless theft of his ideas. On the other hand, I can undestand his decision.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:42 pm

I really find that TP has gone too far.

I can fully understand that Collin doesn’t want to make his creations public anymore.

TP steals more creations than we know.

I asked him concerning stealing an idea from Wisdom of magic (who actually also steals ideas without giving credit to the original creator) and he admitted that he did. (I have his email).

I asked him

“I saw your latest creation via Joe Long, see your video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evLZ1hZcEX8

But I was surprised to see the same effect on The Wisdom of Magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r525v4afbcQ

He answered me this:

“Hi Rob,

I was inspired by this trick - I hope it's nothing negative.

I think that my version definitely has some finesse.

I just found the trick super visual.

but strange that you ask me HA.

Happy new Year

Thomas Pohle”

So he finds it OK to do that…

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:24 am

Rob Rand wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:42 pm

I was inspired by this trick - I hope it's nothing negative
I think that my version definitely has some finesse
I just found the trick super visual

So he finds it OK to do that ...

But don't let anyone copy one of his tricks !

I remember one of his outcries !

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Re: Thomas Pohle is a thief

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:56 pm

Too bad to copy result of other people hard work and creativity without asking for permission ....why to do that?: I think his original ideas are really good.....this makes you wonder if those original ideas were really original or not.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 pm

So sorry to hear this Collin. There were hot discussion in Tenyo Magic Collector Facebook group today but the post was removed. I have posted your works last year in the group and maybe some member just missed it and led to misunderstanding for some people.

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:04 am

CollinW wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:09 pm
Scumbag Thomas Pohle and is side kick scumbag Joe Long decided to copy AND SELL one of my Mr Danger stage illusions without so much as asking me or even giving me credit. These two are the lowest of low as far as I'm concerned.

I have no respect for anyone openly coping and selling someone else's designs. They are the definition of SCUMBAGS!
Sorry to hear that, Collin. I saw your Mr Danger add-ons on Youtube and your creations are exquisite!

I experienced similar situations recently, with Anthony Yap's RetroRoketeers (3D printed props) who copied some Magic Wagon items and my exact routines / handlings (which he saw on Youtube) without asking any permission.
Not once, but twice.
Not for himself, but to make money.
Even if we were friends on Facebook...
Ha! :roll:
;)

TiTAN

Post by TiTAN » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:02 pm

Colin, I am really sorry to hear about this. I wasn't too active on this forum, so I missed this thread altogether.

I first came across Pohle's reproduction of Mr Danger with your add-on accessory in wood back on Nov 2023 when a magician-friend in Taiwan showcased it in a video performance. As he got it via a middle-man, information was sketchy. I didn't know who manufactured it in wood, and initially thought perhaps you had released a limited run in collaboration with someone else. However, I was thrown off when I heard that the source came from Europe - as I knew you are residing in Florida.

Fast forward to a few days ago, as Victor mentioned, a member of the Tenyo Collectors Facebook group enthusiastically showcased the exact wood model and claimed that it was a "Thomas Pohle effect" (Screen capture below)

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 11.09.52.jpeg

The OP got into a tussle of words with one other member in UK who was direct and pointed out that it was a reproduction and ought not to be promoted.

I wrote back a reply in the thread, to this effect:

"Nice construction, but this is certainly not an original creation, by any stretch of the imagination. Tenyo Magic Official had publicly praised Collin's add-on creations via an official tweet last year (link provided). I would be very surprised if Thomas Pohle had offered any form of mention or credit to So Sato or Collin W, let alone the possibility of a royalty pay-out."

Apparently, there was a prolonged argument between the OP and that member who called out the reproduction in their PMs. From what I could gather because things happened really fast, when the OP started a new post name-calling the other member and revealing the contents of their argument in the open, another admin stepped in and deleted both threads immediately to avoid further drama.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.