What tricks would a medieval magician perform?

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
FredA

What tricks would a medieval magician perform?

Post by FredA » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 am

So it seems I will appear in a Swedish reality game show (with an awesome history concept) as an actor, and they want me to play a medieval magician. I can probably find a lot of info on the net, if I Google it, but I'm gonna be honest: that's boring. I prefer asking people with knowledge. The thing is of course that I can't perform Tenyo tricks, so what would you expect a medieval magician to do? I need some inspiration :) Thanks!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: What tricks would a medieval magician perform?

Post by SimonC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:35 am

heres a treasure hunt for you fred...Check the tenyo art gallery by john, theres a pic in there of a medieval magician who may give you a clue :) also youll see some of johns masterpieces
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:08 am

SimonC wrote:heres a treasure hunt for you fred...Check the tenyo art gallery by john, theres a pic in there of a medieval magician who may give you a clue :) also youll see some of johns masterpieces
FredA wrote:The thing is of course that I can't perform Tenyo tricks, so what would you expect a medieval magician to do?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:12 am

Something to do with Alchemy.

Also Professor's Nightmare in reverse, done with golden rope with tassels on the ends.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:04 pm

First of: congratulations Fred!
Cups and Balls was already performed back then, but you probably knew that ... . There are routines that are pretty easy to do. Or use a set which has a chop cup (it didn't exist but no one will know what you're doing anyway). A bit of practice to do fluently though.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:28 pm

JohnM wrote:
SimonC wrote:heres a treasure hunt for you fred...Check the tenyo art gallery by john, theres a pic in there of a medieval magician who may give you a clue :) also youll see some of johns masterpieces
FredA wrote:The thing is of course that I can't perform Tenyo tricks, so what would you expect a medieval magician to do?
this where I was headed.. cups and balls!
you can't go wrong, it's a classic, nail the routine and its a winner :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:35 pm

if you have any flash paper that will add a touch of medieval Magic, from the days before health and safety regulations :) I guess just look at your props and ask yourself, which of these could have been made a few hundred years ago? If they could have been youre into a winner. as john said, ropes are a good start
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:58 am

A full act of Sand of the dessert could be a good option.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:07 am

First off. Awesome gig!

One question. What magician character are you intending to go with? Do you want to go in the direction of a trickster magician or more along the lines of a wizard/sorcerer?

I love limitations...so no card tricks...no dice...nothing modern. Simple and neutral.

I feel like if you do more of a 'wizard' you would work/get away more with levitation and flash paper. Trickster, I think would be more mental magic and sucker tricks.

Now WHAT tricks to do? I might be able to hep from a trickster standpoint. Off the top of my head:

multiplying balls
miracle ring
You COULD do card tricks with Tarot cards. Not sure what you could do or how that would go down.
Nana's Necklace
Coin tricks like Bite Coin, Dynamic Coins, Misers Dream
Sponge balls (instead of sponge bunnies. End it with a big sponge ball)

I'll try and think of some more

And I know you said no Tenyo, but a trickster could do Trap Box and put on the spectators rings or take their coins.
Where's my colon?!

FredA

Post by FredA » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:51 am

Thanks guys! Lots of great tips! Cups and balls is a must! Of course, didn't think of it! Flash paper would be cool and I'm already looking for good coins which can work in the setting! Dices is also

I'm in the hands of the production, but after analyzing the information I got I think they want to go more to the Jester-direction, which is fine by me - it will allow me to stand out more;)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:32 am

FredA wrote:Thanks guys! Lots of great tips! Cups and balls is a must! Of course, didn't think of it! Flash paper would be cool and I'm already looking for good coins which can work in the setting! Dices is also

I'm in the hands of the production, but after analyzing the information I got I think they want to go more to the Jester-direction, which is fine by me - it will allow me to stand out more;)
All right! Get to have some fun messing with people.

I'm not too privy on sucker tricks out there, but Prayer Vase, maybe?

And jump a dancing handkerchief/Glorpy at your spectator.
Where's my colon?!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 am

Cups and balls was the first effect I bought as a kid and never failed to amaze all that seen it done. I still amuse myself doing it the effect looks so good. I never used a chop cup and think if they had them back in medieval times the practitioner would have been deemed a witch and been given a fatal blood letting.

I would think a dismembered finger or other body part was a big hit back then. Things floating or burst into flames had to be popular too. Any number of rope type tricks had to be done often too as it was easy to obtain. Animals included in the act surely was in common use. Crystal gazing to reveal a chosen card or object had to be also been one being done. 8-)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 am

Here's an easy to do cups and balls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9b5TTRBS4s :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 am

And here is one of the most difficult cups and balls routine ever created : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJb75kSrTHU :) Watch it once...not more....I bet you will be completely misdirected from start until the end of the routine :)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 am

VictorS wrote:And here is one of the most difficult cups and balls routine ever created : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJb75kSrTHU :) Watch it once...not more....I bet you will be completely misdirected from start until the end of the routine :)
That was really good had me right from the beginning with the balls going up through the top of the cups excellent routine. :)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

FredA

Post by FredA » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:56 am

I shot the scenes today, I ended up doing some classic sleight of hand, a disappearing coin and billiard balls! It went well, I hope it looks good in TV also ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:09 pm

cool!! what's it going to be on? you look cool :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:05 pm

You look like a monk who played in The Name Of The Rose - the MAGIC MONK :) Congrats in any case, I hope you can share the tv fragment with us!

FredA

Post by FredA » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:33 am

SimonC: It's a kids show for Swedish television, it's set in museums overnight - and everything comes alive. Yes, a lot like the Ben Stiller film A Night at the Museum :)

David DeTenyo: I will share it, but I think the episode isn't on the air until february sometime :) And The Name of the Rose is one of my favorite films!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:33 am

FredA wrote:David DeTenyo: I will share it, but I think the episode isn't on the air until february sometime :) And The Name of the Rose is one of my favorite films!
Same here. It's one of those movies I tend to watch every year or two when I'm in the right mood.

RandyMagic

Post by RandyMagic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:54 am

I've read a blog some time back and found some medieval magic tricks. Regret today that I saved just one of them in my notepad. Sharing it.

The notebook of Thomas Betson, a fifteenth-century monk at Syon Abbey in Middlesex, records his joke of hiding a beetle inside a hollowed-out apple. When the apple began to mysteriously rock back and forth people believed it to be possessed. Other manuscripts include instructions for more mischievous tricks, such as how to make beds itchy and meat appear wormy.

FredA

Post by FredA » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 am

Those monks sure had a sense of humor ;)