Chain thru (Kreis)

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Pete1805

Chain thru (Kreis)

Post by Pete1805 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:00 am

Snapshot_20150217.JPG
Chain thru (Kreis)
A small chain, a nut, and bolt are given to a spectator. The nut and bolt have hole drilled through them for the chain to pass through. The spectator is asked to thread the bolt through the nut and then place the chain through the hole. The spectator is then asked to turn the bolt and thread it further through the nut. The chain won't allow it! The spectator can not make it turn. The magician then takes the chain, nut, and bolt back from the spectator and threads the bolt on thru!! This effect happens right in front of the spectator's eyes!.Thanks to Roberto for the video :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm004rq ... detailpage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KirkW

Re: Chain thru (Kreis)

Post by KirkW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:55 pm

I have a version of this effect from Johnson Products which uses a different method. I also had a version made from wood which I believe I sold that used the same method as Kreis.
the video is a bit deceiving as I don't believe the bolt can be unscrewed an left for immediate examination. You will notice that the bolt is only shown from the side once it is removed. Turning it around so that the center is in view would reveal the secret.
This YouTube video is most likely how Kreis instructs the trick to be performed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FO7Jg6VdzuQ
I would also be hesitant to allow all the pieces to be examined at the same time...or too closely as the method would be discovered.
My comments are based off the wooden version I once owned.
If someone owns the Kreis piece, I would be interested in hearing their review of the trick.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:07 pm

The video by Roberto was the reason for me to buy it. It's a great litle trick.

The bolt CAN be examined, as can the chain and nut. But people could figure it out if they try to do it themselves, although not very likely!

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:23 pm

In my last post I kept saying "bolt" when I meant to say "nut."
David, can the nut be unscrewed and shown with the chain still running through the center?
It is a great trick for those who may be interested.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:49 pm

KirkW wrote: David, can the nut be unscrewed and shown with the chain still running through the center?
It is a great trick for those who may be interested.
Aha, I understand now, and no it can not ;)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:11 pm

The trick made by Johnson is called "Lightning Bolt." I checked their website but no longer see it listed.
Here is the discription from Themagicwarehouse website (still for sale on their site for $27):

" Here is a beautifully conceived illusion made from a solid bar of brass.A large nut and bolt are shown to have a hole drilled right through themiddle of each. Threading a cord through the hole effectively locks themtogether. However, when covered by a handkerchief, and with a spectator holding each end of the cord, the bolt easily makes its escape leaving the nut still securely threaded on the cord. Everything is fully examinable."

Everything can be fully examined at the end with nothing to find. The spectator is left with an ordinary bot, nut, and cord.