Shot In The Dark

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Richard W
Global Moderator

Shot In The Dark

Post by Richard W » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am

Anyone own this?
What is your opinion of it if so.
Any Tips on handling.

SHOT IN THE DARK
Camirand Academy NLM
A diabolical self-working Russian Roulette trick with cards, an original concept from the mind of Tenyo genius Hiroshi Kondo!

Seven cards are shown, six with a picture of a gun, the 7th with a shooting gun.
The magician and spectator then engage in a deadly game of Russian Roulette, wherein, despite impossibly fair conditions, the magician keeps on winning!
Finally, he holds the shooting gun card up to his face and "fires"? it. Upon turning it over, the bullet is seen to have vanished, as the magician smiles and pops a solid brass bullet out from between his teeth!

This great effect is accomplish without sleight of hand.

Cards printed on credit card stock to last a lifetime.!

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Shot In The Dark

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm

I've only ever seen a blurb about it online but it looks cool. Any chance of a scan or run brief description of method? Haven't made myself a card trick in a while
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:12 pm

I have this effect and it is quite good. The basic routine is very easy, when you want to make it a bit more convincing you have to do a move (not hard at all).
It is an old magic principle that is used in this trick. I don't have it with me here so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I did like it :)
You receive a vinyl wallet, the very high quality cards and the bullet.

Greg C
Charter Member

Post by Greg C » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I believe there are seven cards in the stack. The spectator can pick any number under seven (maybe eliminating one and six just to make the effect more mysterious).

Because the chosen number and seven are relatively prime, each time the chosen number of cards is moved from top to bottom (the same chosen number is used throughout the routine) the next card will always be one that has not yet been on top. The performer turns it face up but leaves it in place.

As the cards become face up one-by-one it is more and more surprising the next card reached is always a face-down one. At the beginning of the effect the climax card starts at the top of the stack so it becomes the last one revealed.

This is pretty much the principle.