Is this trick available?

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Jason

Re: Is this trick available?

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 am

John B. wrote:

There are plenty of ways to find a spectator's card- I would start by thinking of a unique presentation/method to do this that is reflective of your presentation style and personality. Anything less, is just going to be a poor imitation of a well-accomplished and world famous magician's performance.
Actually, I'm not finding a spectator's card if I'm doing a pick a card trick because I use my deck; and I'm finding my card. In the case of the scorpion trick, I'm just wanting to know how it was done. My favorite way of finding chosen cards is the five card touch that I talked about earlier. My favorite way to force a card is the Henry Christ force.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:09 pm

There is no "New Stars of Magic" book. The tricks were sold individually. I believe Paul Harris teaches it on a video (DVD), but can't remember which one. You'd be better off learning it from the video.

But it's also on Google docs for free!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... E0MmIzZjBj

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:26 pm

That's neat that it's on an online video for free. If only the scorpion trick was taught online. As far as being a copycat goes, a lot of magicians do tricks that other magicians do. There are lots of magicians that float.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm no big fan of scorpions. The only way I would get one is if I knew the secret to that scorpion trick and it didn't seem too difficult.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Well I tried the link and was disappointed because it linked to the book itself that teaches it instead of a video, and I was confused by the directions. Is there anyone here who feels confident enough to make a YouTube video of themselves showing how to do it? I realized I don't have to ruin perfectly good playing cards. I could use slips of paper instead.
God bless, Jason Irelan

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There is no "New Stars of Magic" book. The tricks were sold individually. I believe Paul Harris teaches it on a video (DVD), but can't remember which one. You'd be better off learning it from the video.

But it's also on Google docs for free!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... E0MmIzZjBj
Thanks for clarification Richard. I thought this part was taken from a book.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Wow ... thanks for sharing this Richard!! Never seen this trick untill the link of David Copperfield in this thread popped up thanks to Victor :)

I definately have to try this one out :)

But I hear you Jason ... a video, preferably in Dutch (for me at least), would be a lot better. Shame on you Richard for not giving us a link to an explanation video (in Dutch) ...
I'm very disappointed in Richard and actually .. in Victor too. He also should have given a direct link to a clear explanation (in Dutch).

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Jason wrote:I'm no big fan of scorpions. The only way I would get one is if I knew the secret to that scorpion trick and it didn't seem too difficult.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Even if the scorpion trick is easy, point still stands, you have to take care of a scorpion before and afterwards. To me, that seems to be more daunting than practicing the rest of the trick sans scorpion.

I'm also going to wager that very few people, Copperfield being one of them, could get away using a live scorpion in a set.
Last edited by Brett H on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:10 pm

I thought I made a post about my problem with a video; but apparently, it didn't make. My system I use to record shows on DVR is hooked up to an analog TV; and if I try to unhook it and plug in the DVD player, I have problems trying to hook up the system I use to watch TV digitally. Therefore, if someone knows how to do the trick, it would be nice if they demonstrated on a YouTube video.
God bless, Jason Irelan

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Jason wrote:Well I tried the link and was disappointed because it linked to the book itself that teaches it instead of a video, and I was confused by the directions. Is there anyone here who feels confident enough to make a YouTube video of themselves showing how to do it? I realized I don't have to ruin perfectly good playing cards. I could use slips of paper instead.
God bless, Jason Irelan
I would say, the illustrations in that document are crystal clear captured in detail, even we don`t need to read the text to follow all the steps.

This guy in the tube made a video to reveal the trick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nIqXyajGeU&t=611s
You have a nice trick to learn and enjoy for free.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Thank you kindly.
God bless, Jason Irelan

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:12 am

[quote="David DeTenyo]
But I hear you Jason ... a video, preferably in Dutch (for me at least), would be a lot better. Shame on you Richard for not giving us a link to an explanation video (in Dutch) ...
I'm very disappointed in Richard and actually .. in Victor too. He also should have given a direct link to a clear explanation (in Dutch).

Image[/quote]

I would have preferred a video explaining the method using interpretative dance.
Now you see me...

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:28 am

I thought about getting another Squeeze Play, but the price was way too high, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to make the parts I need. All I need is the two discs, which could be coasters and a cup. If someone could put masking tape around the mouth of the cup so that nobody could see what's going on, that'd be nice. Would anyone like to do that and sell me the cups along with the coasters?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 pm

If Card Surgery is a hassle to set up, how does it compare to invisible thread tricks and the Bat?
God bless, Jason Irelan

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 am

Here: https://tricksupply.com/product/squeeze-play-tenyo/
is a complete Squeeze Play for 19,99 USD. You won't find one cheaper. I would be surprised if someone would sell you only the stuff you need, they're trick would become useless.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:42 am

I was actually hoping someone would make what I needed with my suggestions. I don't have good eye hand coordination and would have a hard time putting masking tape around the mouth of a plastic cup. When I bought Squeeze Play years ago from a magic store, it was between 10 and 15 dollars. They didn't discontinue it, did they? That would be really stupid because it's the only Tenyo trick that I know of that was performed on national television. Mark Wilson did it years ago in like the 70's or something when he used to have his weekly magic shows.
God bless, Jason Irelan

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:53 am

It has been discontinued for years.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:26 am

Well as I said before, the parts are possible to make. I'll get my own coasters. I just need help with the cup. The magic store I bought it from is one that a lot of people here are probably familiar with if they live anywhere near Janesville. It's Conjuror's Corner run by Terry Brown.
God bless, Jason Irelan

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:34 am

Seriously Jason, if you need help with just the cup, as in put tape around the top, why don't you just ask someone you know where you live?

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:52 am

Because everyone I know that lives around me wouldn't know how the trick is done, and I don't want to make them suspicious by asking for help.
God bless, Jason Irelan

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:58 am

I have a solution for you Jason, use a plastic cup that isn't see through, just a solid colour. You can practice performing the trick with it. The effect should work the same. You'll need some hand/eye coordination to perform it though
Now you see me...

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 am

I don't have a problem with eye/hand coordination when it comes to Squeeze Play. I've done it for several people and fooled them.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:50 am

Has anyone here besides me heard of Conjuror's Corner?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 pm

What's the shipping cost for that Squeeze Play that's for sale? I may have to break down and get another set because I found some wooden coasters at Walmart for only 63 cents; and when I tried to do it, the squeeze effect was very weak. I wish Tenyo wouldn't discontinue perfectly good tricks. Squeeze Play is no only good for close-up magic, but you can do it from far away and hand the props out for examination. I tried it with a Styrofoam cup when I did it.
God bless, Jason Irelan

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Jason wrote:What's the shipping cost for that Squeeze Play that's for sale? I may have to break down and get another set because I found some wooden coasters at Walmart for only 63 cents; and when I tried to do it, the squeeze effect was very weak. I wish Tenyo wouldn't discontinue perfectly good tricks. Squeeze Play is no only good for close-up magic, but you can do it from far away and hand the props out for examination. I tried it with a Styrofoam cup when I did it.
God bless, Jason Irelan
Jason,

If you place the item in your shopping cart, it will allow you to calculate shipping cost based on where you live.