Powerball 60

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Richard W
Global Moderator

Powerball 60

Post by Richard W » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 am

Anyone have Powerball 60?
Old method of Mystery Calculator cards I guess on more up to date lottery tickets.
Easy to carry looks to be everyday item that someone might have on them.
Comes in USA or Euro style tickets.

If you have this what do you think about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB95_mXwZhc

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11806#reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Powerball-Gimmick ... B008Z27RJW

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Peter G
Charter Member

Re: Powerball 60

Post by Peter G » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:10 am

Hi Richard,

I Have this and it's great!
I've met no one who was able to figure it out.

Well taught DVD also.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:33 am

Nice routine but this is one that is included in every magic set I ever purchased. I have older variations with playing cards printed on the cards, cards with numbers (basic principle) and there even is an effect where the cards are transparant and the chosen number reveals itself in a special way. It was sold in the Magic Works line under the name 'Ghost Deck' but there are other variations of it.

Not a big fan of it, but the lottery ticket-style does improve the whole effects.

I'm surprised no one has figured it out Peter, perhaps, as in many cases, I ASSUME people know about a trick because it is sold in different sets but in reality few people are interested in magic and even if they once were they were very young and probably forgot about the effects.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm

I have had Mystery Calculator 50+ years not one person I have showed it to figured it out. But I don't leave the cards sitting separated for them to look too long.

I like the pro version of this simple effect.
In this version, the numbers are printed on the back of laminated business cards belonging to a Psychic researcher. Because the cards are cleverly gimmicked, (with a Larry Becker idea, I believe), the magician never even sees the number side of any card as the spectator separates the cards into those with their chosen number and those without.

This means there is really no way for you to know anything about the chosen number…but you do! And so you name the number that they are just thinking of.

Do it as an age divination, asking someone to think of their favorite age, either in the past or future, and that is the number they look for on the cards. They separate the cards, and put the ones without their number aside, then hold the other cards between their palms to strengthen their thoughts. Then name the age they have in mind. Can be repeated if desired.

I like this version as it has the business card of a psychic researcher printed on the back that makes them wonder if it might be used in a real testing.

So I figured the Powerball 60 version using the lottery ticket style cards that someone might really be carrying in their wallet seem even more amazing as it is so common to see them. Carrying other cards makes it suspicious you even have them on you.

I am going to get it to see if anyone catches on to it I don't think many will.

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm

I love the Magic Geek guy and the dumb blonde lived up to her s tereo type.

By the way Bird Watcher Too uses the same method as these tricks.

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 am

This kind of trick is what i need...thanks for posting Richard.
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...