My Ball Vase Act

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
kellebotond
Charter Member

My Ball Vase Act

Post by kellebotond » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 pm

This is absolultely not Tenyo related, but might be fun to watch.

Some people say that there are too simple props which are only for kids to play with. This is my answer to them.

My first magic trick was the Ball Vase. I bought it 20 years ago in the Figaro Magic Shop in Hungary.
About 1,5 year ago the founder of the shop died. To commemorate him I created an act using the Ball Vase. I actually performed with the exact same one I bought back then. I presented the act at the gala show of the 25th Annual National Magic Convention in Budapest.

I showed how a mentalist, a manipulator and a stage illusionist would use the simplest prop of all. (If you do not speak Hungarian just skip the mentalist part part and go directly to 7:20 for the manipulator):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hln79IGiIVI

The guy appearing at the end is my friend FISM grand prix winner Soma.

Botond
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: My Ball Vase Act

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:14 pm

That was magnificent! It is obvious that you are a top magician. I would love to see you do a presentation like that with a Tenyo and maybe in English if possible.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks John. I'm glad that you liked it.

I was thinking about that when I was preparing for the show to do the whole act with a common Tenyo item. But the problem is that Tenyo items (at least in Hungary) are not that well known even among magicians. But practically every magician in Hungary owns a Ball Vase (it included in almost every magic set I know, and also is sold separately for decades at toy stores and magic shops).

I partly made that act to show to magicians that there is so much more in every single magic prop than we usually use it for. The same is true to Tenyo effects as far as I'm concerned. Most magicians say that they are just clever toys, but I think that with proper presentations they are as good as any other professional magic props - and much better quality and clever solutions.

Maybe I will make an act like that with a Tenyo prop as well (but it took me 6 months to develop this act, so I do not know when it is going to happen).

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 am

I'm not allowed to watch it! it must be a UK thing, I'll try on another computer at work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 am

The ballon thought transmitter is awesome!!!......great act!!

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 am

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 am

You are a very skilfull magician my friend, very nice! Would love to do the 'billiard balls' act but my hands are too small and above all, I don't like practicing a lot ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:33 am

Performers are usually also collectors, but collectors are not often (good) performers. :-)
And at the same time practicing /performing and collecting is a golden combination only within reach for the real talented ones... Collecting tricks is a way to postpone practicing...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Regarding practicing: I do not like to practice as well. After a while it gets boring, it is very hard to motivate myself to do the same trick over and over again just for the mirror or the camera. So what I do is I practice during presenting a trick to a real audience. The learning curve is much better, because I get instant feedback. (So whenever I like to practice a new trick I just practice is until it is more or less OK, then I take it with me to a table hoping gig. And after I present it 20-25 times in a row the same night for different tables: I have a quite polished script for it, feedback of where it needs more work. Or I just take it with me to the magic shop and show it to costumers.)

Of course this does not work for something like the billiard balls. You need to practice that a lot before presenting. What I do there is: I do not practice, I rehearse. So after leaning the routine, I decide that I will do the full routine dressed up in my performance clothes 5 times every day. It takes about 40-45 minutes to do that. But I strictly keep myself to this. When I have to skip a day for some reason I do it 10 times the next day. At the beginning there are many mistakes, drops etc. But after 2-3 weeks it starts to get better. And there is beauty in practicing. After a while you can do the whole thing without paying attention to it. Your hands just seem to do what they should without you controlling them. And then I can play with the audience: watch them, do gags, silly faces or whatever I like during the presentation.

This video shows my first actual performance of this act. I have never done these tricks (except for the billiard balls) in front of an audience before. And I never used those gags before. But it went well, because I have rehearsed the full act from beginning to end for 2 months 5 times a day.

And the part I'm the most proud of is the mind-reading sequence. So far only a handful of people could figure out how it is done. The randomly selected spectator names a color. There is no prearrangement, and he really can say any color in the world. And inside the ball vase there is a ball of that color. It is quite a unique solution, and as far as I know it is original.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:20 am

Good advice Kellebotond, thank you 8-) .

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 am

Thanks very much for this inside information Botond. Although I am not a professional performer, I know by experience that only real performing learns what's the best way to perform the trick. And a funny storyline helps a lot!

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36 pm

But I really am too lazy to practice sometimes. That is one of teh reasons I love Tenyo effects. Most of them do not require a lot of practice... :)

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Presenting ordinary toy magic in extra ordinary way... Awesome :!: :!: :!:
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...