Fun day out for me :)

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Fun day out for me :)

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm taking a class of graphics students to the design museum in London tomorrow.
We'll be stopping at cogent garden for a few hours which means I'll be able to have a quick look at the magic stall which many of us have seen before. Even better is I get two hours to myself while the students go off and explore so DAVENPORTS HERE I COME! I'll not be buying anything but it's a great place to go and hide in for a bit. I've exhausted it of all tenyo, they stopped stocking the new ranges a few years back and there's just a few dusty offerings left but I have them all now I think. My budget does, however stretch to smoking monkeys :) I'm quite attached to them, I always get one when I go as they're only 50p. I'll grab a bunch, perhaps I could start including them in random Jenzo trick deliveries.
So yes I'll technically be getting paid to go and visit my favourite magic shop tomorrow, which I'm a little smug about. If anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything give me a shout.
Si
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Fun day out for me :)

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:58 am

Keep a few good tricks for me at Covent Garden and Davenports Simon, I'll be there too in a few weeks probably with my school - and I get payed + 3 nights at a hostile too ;) I'll keep you posted! What great it is to be a teacher :D
Have fun!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:14 am

3 nights in a hostile? sounds scary! ;)
give me a shout when you're over, I may be able to 'bump into you' while you're in covent garden and say hi :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 am

in davenports the tenyo they have left are

funnel vision £15
money shredder £17
animation frame £25
enchanted strings £not shown
pillars of Thor £not shown
x-Ray file £17

they stopped sticking them a while ago so it's just what they have left. there are three magic stalls in covent garden now (magic is more popular on British tv now so that's probably why)
slim pickings tho, nothing new but definitely some good value tenyo-esque offerings, and davenports has some amazing literature and cards.
I got a universal levitation device for £3.99.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Great Simon! Sometimes part of the job is part of the fun, these are the gifts of life!
Did you buy all these Tenyos? Great prices indeed! I have them all, except Funnel vision, I believe I've never been that excited about that trick!

Yes hostile or hostel makes a big difference David! I like these misspellings, and always am surprised that even native UK/US speakers make spelling mistakes. For me, they are the icing on the cake :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:04 am

Woopsiedaisy! I meant youth hostel of course :lol:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:13 am

I didn't buy any rob no, it's just a quick run down of what they have left.
funnel vision is fun, it's a sneaky mech that's well hidden with a good finale, when it works it's great but it does take practice. oh and you can really 'hear the magic' with this one so either do it with some loud music on or when you have a bad cough ;)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:06 am

OK Simon... So maybe now I have another item on my wish list... Not very difficult to obtain btw...

Thanks for tthe wonderful birthday card! Today I'm just at the office, collecting kisses from beautifully young women :P

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 am

Happy Birthday Rob!!!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Keep a few good tricks for me at Covent Garden and Davenports Simon, I'll be there too in a few weeks probably with my school - and I get payed + 3 nights at a hostile too ;) I'll keep you posted! What great it is to be a teacher :D
Have fun!
Hi David, if you're about this week give me shout if you want to grab a quick pint if you get an evening off in London :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 am

I'll be in London 26th to 28th march, not sure yet when I will have free time ... . When I have free time I can probably be found at Covent Garden as I mentioned before (depending on the free time I have). Will let you know :)

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:47 am

I meant to ask you David, how was your trip to London? did you have a nice time!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 pm

It was good Gaz, but unfortunately I had almost no spare time for myself. Due to budget restrictions our trip to London is now a full-packed 3 day (two night) trip and we're actually doing the same as we did previous years, so you can imagine time is a luxury I didn't have.

I was able to make a quick trip to Davenports but it was nothing special ... . The magician behind the counter clearly didn't have a lot of joy in performing tricks :(

Next time I'll visit will surely be with my wife and I will have time enough to look around and hopefully meet some of you guys :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 am

I forgot to mention I did buy one effect from Davenports: Mental Photography Deck, a very cool illusion and easy to do.