Help on vintage magic props

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
BobD
Charter Member

Help on vintage magic props

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:36 am

Can anybody identify these vintage magic props?
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
I found these items but do not know what they are or if they are complete. I hope somebody can tell something about these props.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Help on vintage magic props

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:29 am

The first one looks like Samurai Sword by Collectors Workshop: http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/samura ... -workshop/
But your version seems to use a spoon or fork? It could be something completely different however.

The second trick looks like a predicition of time. A bit like the Time Machine effect but with a nice looking clock. See here: http://www.magicsale.com/magic_watches.htm - but also this time it could be completely different.

What do they exactly do?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:18 am

Hi BobD

David were right. The first one is the Samurai Sword. Try to find the missing samurai sword, 2 brass rods and the metalic cloth and you are ready to perform it. There was no special gimmick on the sword and messing rods. As long you can find the right size for this trick, you are ready.

Please find the demo here in youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjtdHJP_10

The fork and spoon look like telescopic fork and spoon. But I`m not sure about it.

The clock is time machine. You can know the hour set by spectator without looking at the hand. There was few principals on this version, but I`m not sure which one you got.

I`m not familiar for the last one. Sorry I cannot help you on this.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 am

Thank you David and vsuperanto!

I don't have the items yet. The pictures were just sent to me. You both right, it is the Samurai Sword. The spoon and fork confused me. I thought they was part of the trick.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:20 am

just had a look at the vid, I may be able to make you some brass rods for samurai sword if you can't find any
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:08 am

Samurai sword is such a wonderful effect. And how amazingly simple is the 'secret', it just lets you smile!
This is a true story-telling effect. And, you can use any ring from any spectator! But it lacks the sword, like David said. And the rods of course. But you DO have the essential thing obtained!

I obtained a Vienna Magic version of this trick, although must admit that the Viking version looks much better! So I only have German instructions. Not a problem for me, but probably a problem for you BobD!

And Simon, didn't know you can also make things out of brass! Maybe you can start your own tricksupplyshop for all of us! :-) And the rest of the world! A full time craftsman!

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:12 am

Thank you Simon but I know where to get sword and rods; however, here is a video of another Samurai that I would like to have.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:27 am

Rob Rand wrote:Samurai sword is such a wonderful effect. And how amazingly simple is the 'secret', it just lets you smile!
This is a true story-telling effect. And, you can use any ring from any spectator! But it lacks the sword, like David said. And the rods of course. But you DO have the essential thing obtained!

I obtained a Vienna Magic version of this trick, although must admit that the Viking version looks much better! So I only have German instructions. Not a problem for me, but probably a problem for you BobD!

And Simon, didn't know you can also make things out of brass! Maybe you can start your own tricksupplyshop for all of us! :-) And the rest of the world! A full time craftsman!
A good friend of mine here in Manila showed me the secret of this trick several years ago. The secret is so simple that he was disappointed of the method because he was expecting a complicated mechanical trick for its price. I have forgotten the method but I am sure that I can reconstruct it once I have the props. If I recall it right, the method is simply to put the ring on the sword.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

Wow Bob, what an amazing effect on the video you posted! This is real clever! And I didn't know about this effect, which is strange, because I watch the SeoMagic website very often! It's an effect brought out in 2011... Must be sold out definitely...

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 am

Yes Rob, it's out of stock. I have been looking for this prop for over a year. I ordered one from Harry Allen during the 2013 SAM National Convention in Washington DC. I made an advance payment during our meeting. He was supposed to bring it at the 2013 IBM Convention in Phoenix. But when we met again he told me it is not available. I don't know why it is still in the Daytona website.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:34 am

Daytona has a LOT of items who are not in stock, I discovered. Always first ask them if the item you want is really available. They're a bit scoundrels, because they answer you.. no not in stock, but we have a similar item that is even better! Buy from us, buybuybuy!

Well scoundrels is a bit rude to say, they just think very commercial as salesmen, which they are of course :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 am

I believe the Samurai Sword trick works the same as Excalibur (no not the Tenyo trick):

http://www.martinsmagic.com/?nd=full&ke ... myaf=af_mm

Then it would be possible to remake this trick with the aid of the sword from Excalibur. I own this trick and it's beautifully made.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:06 am

I do not know the method in Excalibur Block and Sword but if it is the same as Anverdi's Enchanted Ring then I think the Samurai Sword Penetration method is different. Watch the tassel and the point of the sword and you will have an idea on how it works.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 am

No Excalibur is totally different from Anverdi's Enchanted Ring! With the emphasis on totally! Maybe it helps when I say that at Excalibur you get 2 swords.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Rob is right, the Samuria Sword is like Excalibur :)