New Houdini show

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
SimonC
Global Moderator

New Houdini show

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Just saw this trailer, not sure when Labor Day is (I think that's how you mutters spell it).
Looks pretty good, probably as historically accurate as Disney's Pocahontas but it should be a good watch

http://youtu.be/zaOPX2m9tTA
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: New Houdini show

Post by JohnM » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Labor Day is Sept 1st this year. It is the first Monday of September and it marks the end of summer and a day off from work.

There is an abundance of Magic on TV in the US right now.

I am enjoying:
Wizard Wars (Magic Competition Show)
Masters of Illusion (Nice Variety of Stage Acts)
Penn and Teller Fool Us (Rebroadcast of UK show)
Carbonaro Effect (Candid Camera with a Magician)
America's Got Talent (3 magicians in the semi final rounds)
Houdini Mini Series (coming soon)

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:56 pm

I am very much looking forward to the Houdini Mini Series.

The Houdini Mini Series was shot in Hungary. The magic / escape artist consultant of the show was a good friend of mine (David Merlini). And a lot of the magic props used in the film was provided by the magic shop I work at. I haven't seen it yet, but as far as I know it contains a lot of fiction, but I think it will be great.

My current favorite is Wizard Wars. I especially liked Eric Buss and Matthias. I think they should form a magic duo! :) It is very nice to see the creativity of these excellent magicians in action.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:23 pm

kellebotond wrote:I am very much looking forward to the Houdini Mini Series.

The Houdini Mini Series was shot in Hungary. The magic / escape artist consultant of the show was a good friend of mine (David Merlini). And a lot of the magic props used in the film was provided by the magic shop I work at. I haven't seen it yet, but as far as I know it contains a lot of fiction, but I think it will be great.

My current favorite is Wizard Wars. I especially liked Eric Buss and Matthias. I think they should form a magic duo! :) It is very nice to see the creativity of these excellent magicians in action.
Cool insight, that must have been exciting to be somewhat involved.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Too right, I bet it's a good show too. There's a British film called magicians, it's pretty funny, it's on netflix uk. There's a little scene in davenports. I liked now you see me too, it got panned and yes some bits are ridiculous but it was a good watch. My favourite magic film is the prestige, it's brilliant.
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:36 pm

I am excited to watch this. The trailer was cool.

BUT

I am having a hard time getting past Adrien Brody's nose. It is so large and he looks nothing like Houdini. What an odd choice to pick an actor that looks so dis-similar even thought he is a noted actor.

Teller would have looked the part and do the performance perfectly but since they are not making a silent film I guess they ruled him out.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Jason Clarke would may have been a better casting choice on looks alone, although Adrien Brody is an excellent actor. Looking forward to seeing this!

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:46 am

I'm really looking forward to this series...unfortunately, we'll probably have to wait 6 months before it arrivés in Belgium.
I do think an actor does not have to look identical, or even similar, to the character. If he's a good actor, you'll forget the looks immediately and be sucked into the story.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:16 am

I'm scared I'll get sucked into his nose...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...