Danny Cole On Penn And Teller

Here you can post information about anything that you think your fellow members will be interested in.
Richard W
Global Moderator

Danny Cole On Penn And Teller

Post by Richard W » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:08 am

This is something different didn't see this ending coming.

Danny Cole

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7F8D2IM_fU
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

ØyvindK

Re: Danny Cole On Penn And Teller

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 am

That was quite clever, but the editors probably had to do quite a bit of work in post-processing before allowing it to air. It is slightly mysterious that P&T was fooled, I think.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:35 am

Well they said the use of the desk lamps and string lights being there for no real lighting reason is suspicious if he didn't use some kind of reel device they have to say they are fooled. All it takes is one aspect they are not sure about to allow them to say they were fooled. They have made that statement many times before how they decide fooled or not.

Magnets holding the staggered blocks seemed obvious as the way he removed them appeared to be stuck in place. Or the blocks have a slight lip on the edges that allow him to slide them to the left or right to interlock them which would make them very steady.

The floating blocks were rock steady even knocking out the 2 under them and he did kind of move the pencil 360 around them, then pushed the floating blocks off and they separated when falling and not any movement from the lamps I believe have to watch it again I watched it only once.

It was very clear after placing the first 2 blocks he tried to misdirect the viewers by reaching up to turn on the left lamp while he set something behind those 2 bottom blocks with his right hand he then sat the 3 floating block on. ;)

The use of the lamps may have been to light it is such a way to help hide the gimmick. ;)

Very different from anything I seen before.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 am

I saw this and liked it as well. I think it uses magnetic fields to hold the blocks in place. When he uses the pencil to 'knock' the block free, it sticks a little like being held in place by magnets, and I don't think a thread would provide this type of resistance. Also, they seem to lock in place, and I would expect some movement from a thread system.

However it works, it is really cool.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:49 pm

No magnets involved, when you think about it the answer becomes perfectly clear! :D
Last edited by PeterW on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes, and it really needs to be perfectly clear. :D

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Method is very simple and extremely clever…he has an old video from 2011 doing the same trick at home...no magnets or threads are needed….check:

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 am

Yeah, I remember watching this when it was first out and pondering how it could have been done. It's funny now that I've seen the Penn and Teller performance the only tell in his original video may have been the audio that slightly gives it away. It's a great idea but not really practical for everyday performances.