YES/NO coin

Here you can post information about anything that you think your fellow members will be interested in.
BluBob

Re: YES/NO coin

Post by BluBob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:15 am

The words on the coin can be circled in a magazine, (different positions/pages) then when the spectator chooses one, and announces it, you just simply turn to page where the word is circled and reveal it.
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:48 am

loving the creative thinking :) As I said I think these would make a great utility device and as I found out yesterday as I was playing around with them, they're the perfect size for palming :)
I'm just working out a nice way to present these coins then I'll post pic of the finished product. Hopefully this evening :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:12 pm

good evening all. after a very intensive day in the workshop (and a little teaching thrown in for good measure ;)) I have come up with my finished set for my yes/no coins :)
in this clip you will see the box, which includes the rectangular wooden switch case, the smaller 'stealth' version, and hidden storage for the coins in case anyone sneaks a peek. I've also kept the cut-out discs from the trays as they can be used as blanks for the magician to write their own megssage/ prediction on.
enjoy! it's been an intense week on this!
I will be happy to make these sets to order and can also customise to an extent. I will sleep on it in case I have any ideas for final tweaks then post a final pic tomorrow :)
Si
http://youtu.be/RQ_Yp2ReJqE
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:20 pm

It looks very classical Simon, I really believe your ancestors were alchemistical woodworkers :-)

This is really a nice set that is suitable for all kinds of mental or just magic effects!

Sun and moon, Tarot has them, alchemy, hermetics as very strong symbols of the dark and the bright sides of life...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Rob Rand wrote:It looks very classical Simon, I really believe your ancestors were alchemistical woodworkers :-)
I believe that too Rob ;) Super awesome work Simon...I didn`t expect that you put all the coins under the secret compartment. Love the idea ;)

Yesterday I mentioned you about Super spike and magic butterfly principals too be adapted here for the coin case. And here is the very quick and dirty drawing of mine :D Sorry Simon in advance if you are confuse but a picture represents already a thousand words.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:28 am

VictorS wrote:
Rob Rand wrote:It looks very classical Simon, I really believe your ancestors were alchemistical woodworkers :-)
I believe that too Rob ;) Super awesome work Simon...I didn`t expect that you put all the coins under the secret compartment. Love the idea ;)

Yesterday I mentioned you about Super spike and magic butterfly principals too be adapted here for the coin case. And here is the very quick and dirty drawing of mine :D Sorry Simon in advance if you are confuse but a picture represents already a thousand words.
Nice Victor!

There is a "ton" of wisdom,and feedback here.

Bob~

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:01 am

Simon,

Please do not feel rushed, or hurried, on this project. This effect has a "Tenyoish" feel/slant, but is so much more elegant, and unique. I understand the drawing which Victor posted. It might serve as a "twist" motivator for the project. You have deliciously twisted POV's which may push you to develop this effect in a slightly different direction.

On the other hand if it's done, it's done. It's cool as is.

All the best ... whatever!

Bob~

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:47 am

hi guys. I get the pic vic, I considered doing that, with a cavity in the top and possibly bottom to stach/switch out. however I figured as I release the drawer anything in the top cavity will drop and I'd also have to expose the other side of the tray if I turn it so it can be loaded from the bottom cavity. I do like the idea however one of my aims with this one was to keep it simple. you can hand out the cover to be examined by columbo and the tray looks too thin to house two coins so reduces suspicion there. i will make a prototype today anyway of what I think you mean as I already have drawn up the components for the 'cavity cover'. watch this space
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 am

Sure Simon, I love also simplicity. Maybe mine is to complicated :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

it's not too complicated, it's a good idea vic ;) my other concern tho was that the overall thickness would be affected. if I use the same material all the way through it would add 6mm overall each lid would be two parts, one with the secret hole and the other with the Yes/no design. the other option is to use the same material for the hole and a 1mm veneer for the top. the only problem with this being the etching would go right through (remember my failed sandwich platter in wood?) and also the veneer has the overwhelming urge to curl up at the edge over time. i will make one still and see, I'll keep you posted vic ;)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:30 am

Yes Simon, thickness will be the problem for my idea. Let`s take a look for another options what we can make for the next ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 am

here is my attempt.. presenting the YES/NO Switch!
it has the hole positioned centrally so you can hold the stored coin in place with the slide. not sure how the routine would work yet and the top is pretty thin over the hole.
it looks pretty nice tho. again not sure on how the routine would work but I guess you have the option of loading more coins.
I'll film it tonight :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:15 am

VictorS wrote: Yesterday I mentioned you about Super spike and magic butterfly principals too be adapted here for the coin case. And here is the very quick and dirty drawing of mine :D Sorry Simon in advance if you are confuse but a picture represents already a thousand words.
What a brilliant idea Victor! Makes the handling much easier, you can open it from the same side!

Simon, already anxious waiting for you video!

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:35 am

looking forward to the video Simon :D

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Some REALLY good ideas here ... .

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

I've not made my YES/NO switch video yet as it is the mystic Ruby's 2nd birthday tomorrow and I've spent all afternoon baking a pocoyo cake! I will obviously be busy with the little man tomorrow but will be back on the case Monday with a new video, it's looking very promising tho, the prototype I made on Friday works great and can be used to stash, switch, multiply or vanish :)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Adorable Cake!

Happy Birthday Ruby!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:32 pm

cheers john :) it's his favourite colours, white and gold ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Congratulations for your son Simon, have a nice day tommorow :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm

That's cool Simon. He will love the cake :) Happy birthday little Ruben (Ruby)...!!!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Cute cake Simon, Wishing Ruben and his parents a great day tomorrow ! 2 years what a milestone ! ;-)

BillD

Post by BillD » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:07 am

Hi Simon, a great cake and I am sure Ruby will have a great birthday.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 am

cheers guys :) he's having a lovely day already.
here's a time-lapse of a test NO coin being etched, it actually takes about 11mins per side. (in lieu of the 'switch' clip ;))
http://youtu.be/-78xkP19aCM
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Good evening all!
So I have finally got round to a video of the yes/no switch.
It can store up to four chips so I have made a new design to go with the Y/N, Y/Y & N/N..
a 'maybe'! seeing as the yes has a sun and the no has a moon I drew up an earth to go inbetween.
the unit is a utility device for switching, multiplying and loading chips.
routine ideas are only limited by your imaginations, I thought of one where it is a fortune telling machine where you control the outcome, you can have fun messing with people ;)
I will be making the 'maybe' stand out a lot more on future chips.
if anyone would like a set I will make them to order. each set will come with a yes/no switch unit, four laser etched chips and four blanks for you to get creative with. I'll also throw in a yes/no stealth which is great for swapping a gaffed chip for a real one, which is where all this began!
sets will be £55 gbp which as always includes postage anywhere in the galaxy (except the scutum-centaurus arm which is in the middle of a postal strike)
here's the clip
http://youtu.be/uN7Aa_nL5nA

thanks to vic for the input and everyone else too for the encouraging comments :)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 pm

I can only say: WTF! What an ingenious device! 4 coins can be produced, never expected sich a clever device!

OK Simon, my order is in! There's no hurry with it by the way,! This also looks so .... cute! :-) and innocent! ;), but the devil is inside! :lol: