What Color is this Dress

Here you can post information about anything that you think your fellow members will be interested in.
JohnM
Site Admin

What Color is this Dress

Post by JohnM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:15 pm

What color is this dress. Some see white and gold/brown and some see blue and black/dark grey.

What do you see?

I first saw white and gold but now I see blue and dark grey.

This has gone viral on the internet today.

The difference has to do with how our eyes and brain make adjustment to seeing colors under different lighting situations.

I was listen to different radio talk shows today and people were out right arguing about this.

Pretty interesting.

VictorS

Re: What Color is this Dress

Post by VictorS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:03 am

I see gold /brown BUT my wife beside me see blue/ black and we are still arguing about it. :evil: :oops: :shock: :o :) :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:54 am

I see a white and gold dress in shadow but I can see how it could be the other. this is very much like the illusion in mark setteductis Magic pop up book...
I love this kind of thing thanks john :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:58 am

WHAT THE F@*K?! I just logged back in to add the picture slow and the dress looks blue and black now!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:00 am

I think the difference is I saw just the bottom the second time (screen grab below)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:03 am

whereas if the first thing you see is the top the gold stands out more..
I still think it's white and gold tho
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 am

This is gold/white!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:20 am

Exactly what I found Simon. When looking at it on the Ipad I could only see part of it at a time. If I scrolled from the top down it looks white and gold and if you scroll from the bottom up it looks blue and dark grey.

I listened to 4 of my favorite talk shows on Sirius today and they all talked about "the dress."

No one brought up what Simon found. I tried to call in to one show to share that point but I could not get through. "The Dress" was a big deal here today.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 am

I find this interesting, but in a different way.

A light source which is the ONLY source, will be measured in a specific Kelvin degree. A Kelvin measurement will fall somewhere on a scale which is the scientific temperature scale used to measure the exact temperature of objects.

The Kelvin scale runs from approximately 2,800K to over 12,000K. The Kelvin numbers yield different colors/results depending on where it lays on the Kelvin scale.

Incandescent light bulbs which you are likely to find in our house will emit low-color temperatures of 2,800 to 3,400 degrees Kelvin. This light has a yellow to orange cast. If you heat a carbon rod, it will glow orange at approximately 3,200 degrees Kelvin. At 4,800 degrees Kelvin it will glow a greenish color and at 5,600 degrees Kelvin it will begin to emit a blue color. The color of light is measured using these Kelvin temperature readings.

If the Camera is properly white balanced by the Photographer, most everything will appear very close to it's natural/realistic color. Most people will allow the Camera to make *color-balance* decisions. This is not good. In today's world of iPhone Photography, almost no one takes the time, or has the knowledge to properly color balance their pictures.

SO BOB, PLEASE GET TO THE POINT ...

What you see in the picture is an image which is improperly color balanced. It does have a reference of WHITE in the upper right-hand corner, but remember that the burnt-out white in the picture is completely void of any detail. It would be called "white without detail" or 255 in the 8-bit world. This may also be referred to as "BLANK WHITE."

Given the area of blank white, one makes an assumption that the dress is not white, and needs to assign a luminescent, and color value. ("K" value) In the case of this dress, what the viewer sees is not a natural, or real-world value. Any object which is misrepresented in a picture, will be falsely identified by the viewer!

TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, this picture was created under a MIXED-LIGHT condition. This situation presents very complex problems For example; when Photographing, one might be forced to deal with a scene which has light shining through a window mixed with the light from a desk lamp, or fluorescent light mixed with track light sources. This presents an almost impossible situation, and can create the type of picture which is the topic of this image.

TO MAKE MATTERS EVEN WORSER
Every one of us has a Monitor, Smartphone, iPad, etc., which will not have a color management system built in. In other words, there is no true color device STANDARD! Almost everyone who observes an image, looks at it with their own unbalanced viewing device. These devices are all different. (Ever go into a TV store and observe how every one of those TV's has a different color cast?) If so, you know what I mean!

WHEW ... I am way long.

This whole deal while fascinating, is entirely understandable.

It's all Trompe-l'œil !

Best,
Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Interesting Bob.

I sort of know what you are talking about but I am not as technical as I should be when it comes to photography and lighting. I have only ever used point and shoot cameras.

Here is an explanation of "the dress" from wired.com.

From the article
your brain figures out what color light is bouncing off the thing your eyes are looking at, and essentially subtracts that color from the “real” color of the object. “Our visual system is supposed to throw away information about the illuminant and extract information about the actual reflectance,” says Jay Neitz, a neuroscientist at the University of Washington. “But I’ve studied individual differences in color vision for 30 years, and this is one of the biggest individual differences I’ve ever seen.” (Neitz sees white-and-gold.)
When I read this, I thought of the Color Balance sliders in Photoshop. Is it a coincidence that blue and yellow are across from each other and you have to add yellow to get rid of a blue cast and add blue to get rid of a yellow cast?
colorbalance.png
Complicated but interesting none the less.

The original thing started innocently when a mother email a picture of a dress she would be wearing to her daughter's wedding. When the bride-to-be looked at the dress she saw one thing and the groom-to be saw the other.

So one thing is for sure, this has more to do with the human eye and brain then the setting of the monitor because people looking at the same image on the same device see it differently like me and my wife and Victor and his wife.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:53 pm

this is so interesting, and thanks john and Bob for the in depth analysis. I see gold and white but I did get one flash this morning of a very blue and black dress. my wife saw blue and black this morning and spent the rest of the day swearing blind I was messing with her as all she has been able to see since is gold and white.
crazy stuff
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:04 pm

I used to use this exact image when I was teaching Photoshop.

When I was introducing the Eye Dropper/Color Picker tool I would have the students open the file and then use the tool to get the value of the gray in the "A" box. We would then look at the color values of the color (RGB, CMYK, etc) and write them down. Then they would click on the gray in the "B" box and when they checked, the color values were exactly the same. This was a great way to prove the colors are the same while teaching them about the tool and color values.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm

that's a cool idea :) I use it with the kids too to show them a colour only really becomes a colour when it is next to another one. I bet you were a very inspirational teacher john
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:19 pm

JohnM wrote:Image

I used to use this exact image when I was teaching Photoshop.

When I was introducing the Eye Dropper/Color Picker tool I would have the students open the file and then use the tool to get the value of the gray in the "A" box. We would then look at the color values of the color (RGB, CMYK, etc) and write them down. Then they would click on the gray in the "B" box and when they checked, the color values were exactly the same. This was a great way to prove the colors are the same while teaching them about the tool and color values.
Right on John,

I have been heavily involved with PhotoShop since 1992. I always rely on the "Eyedropper" and "Info Palette." Download the image, and check the RGB values with the eyedropper tool. The true RGB values will be observed in the INFO Palette.

My system is Color Managed and I have "profiles" for all devices.

If anyone is still interested, here is a link to the International Color Consortium. http://color.org/index.xalter -

The ICC specification is widely used and is referred to in many International and other de-facto standards. It was first approved as an International Standard, ISO 15076-1, in 2005 and revised in 2010.

Profile creation software that will produce profiles that conform to v4 are listed in the Profiling Tools page, and applications that will utilize them are widely available.

The site contains "all you need to know" information about the ICC specification, and about color management in general.

Best,
Bob~

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm

those guys must be having such a great day today :)
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:43 pm

SimonC wrote:this is so interesting, and thanks john and Bob for the in depth analysis. I see gold and white but I did get one flash this morning of a very blue and black dress. my wife saw blue and black this morning and spent the rest of the day swearing blind I was messing with her as all she has been able to see since is gold and white.
crazy stuff
As it should be ...

Simon,

What we see and how it is interpreted is complex beyond words. It depends on so many factors, it is almost redundant to discuss it. There is the question of ambient room light, the windows, the time of day, what you had to eat, drink, the monitor, profiles, etc.

If you look at an image, then finish a coffee, with 15 minutes your natural vision will be about 5 points of Magenta off. Add these types of issues, to the ever-changing daylight, and time-of-day color "shifts" and it's all enough to drive one craze, er, crazy.

It's enough to drive one CraZY
It's enuff to drive one KraZee
-enough 2 drive 1 CrayZe
derive ONe daisy
drive miss daisy
drive 1
GoNE~

enuff~

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:49 pm

don't know about magenta mate but I think you've had a little too much green ;)
I feel like that today don't worry, my brain is fried and I'm supposed to be relaxing in my weekend. there's always too much to think about. I'd rather think to much than too little, That's why we all get along here, lots of busy brains :)
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:56 pm

THINKING ABOUT THOUGHT ~(for Simon)~

It was a thought, I thought.
BUT what if the thought I thought
wasn't a thought at all ... I thought.

If the thought I thought
wasn't a thought,
THEN
The thought I thought
wasn't a thought at all ...I thought.

It was a thought I fought!

And THAT was the thought I bought.

Bob~

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:11 am

don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 am

So it was blue and black ... my mind plays games with me! In any case I'll be able to sleep again tonighyt :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 am

Here's a new one :)

Ok I admit, I'm bored. :ugeek: