Collecting before Tenyo

Here you can post information about anything that you think your fellow members will be interested in.
MarkSoCal

Collecting before Tenyo

Post by MarkSoCal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 am

So......what was everyone collecting before Tenyo? I imagine many of us might have started collections
of other magic producers like the master craftsman Alan Warner or Magic Wagon. Any collections in fields other than magic?
In my case, after college, I started collecting first editions of my favorite author Joseph Conrad (Heart of Darkness, Lord Jim, the Secret Sharer). At the time, Coppola's Apocolypse Now was released and Conrad was in the news because this masterpiece was based on his epic short story Heart of Darkness. The same obsessions I'm experiencing now with my new love of Tenyo magic surfaced years ago when adding to my Conrad Collection.
......I think the Tenyo magic will at least have greater interest and entertainment value when presented to my friends than showcasing an inscribed Conrad 1st edition......and a bit cheaper! :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Collecting before Tenyo

Post by SimonC » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am

Transformers!
And various trading cards (x-files, x-men, Mars attacks, Monty Python!)
When I was really young there was this thing called POGs, little cardboard discs with cartoons on.
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Magic sets, then James Bond movie posters, then Disney theme park stuff.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:31 pm

I had a Transformers collection as a kid. Unfortunately I played with them so although I still have most of them, they are missing various body parts. :(

More recently I have a Tyco Remote control car collection.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm

I repainted a lot of my transformers a few years ago. Mostly picking out the detail and dirtying down the body work/joints. There's so much detail on them which gets lost as the parts are moulded in single colour plastic.
I did the same with nerf guns whilst I was waiting for the birth of my first son, I took them apart, removed the air restrictors to soup them up then sprayed them up and dirtied them down to look more authentic.
Now you see me...