Newton`s Nightmare

Here you can come when you just want to have some FUN!
VictorS

Newton`s Nightmare

Post by VictorS » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:52 am

Just got this weeks ago, but it`s actually old stuff based on the Lenz law.
Great props, kids love it so much, even I`m enjoying it every time I drop the "cylinder" :) :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLdYqeskqlg

Richard W
Global Moderator

Re: Newton`s Nightmare

Post by Richard W » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I have had this since it came out it's so cool. The blue anodized tube looks great. If you find an aluminum or copper tube that is thicker and longer it will fall even slower. Thicker wall on the tube is the key to falling slower. I got a tube that is very thick and 36" long takes a real long time for it to fall out you think it is stuck in there.

Best part is everyone knows a magnet won't stick to aluminum or copper so they don't even think it is a magnet especially with Newtons Nightmare the magnet and brass barrel is coated it with gold color plating so they match exactly. Switch them out let them try the brass one it fall out normal but when you do it is floats slowly down the tube drives them crazy as you do it over and over but they can't. Get Newton's Nightmare you will love it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/841

The eddy currents that is created making a braking action when the magnet falls is amazing. Even if you show them eventually it is a magnet that won't stick to the tube it is more intriguing to most. It has to be a Neodymium magnet to work. If you drop a barrel one that is smaller diameter or stick a few flat ones together down the tube it will spin end to end really fast you can watch it from the top but suggest you use safety glasses if you do as those neo magnets shatter really easy into pieces if it hits the tube just right.

This appears to be real magic if you don't know about Lenz Law and eddy currents. Many other experiments with flat aluminum or copper disks spinning on center axis with neo magnets on the perimeter display these currents really cool science. :geek:
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Just in case you'd like to see what is happening inside the tube, here are a couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=8zioZrrHIkE

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=TvhZHf72Z7o

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:03 pm

There is a pro version that is crazy...enhances the effect to another level...cool item for the desk and stress maybe?...check:

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 am

Roberto

Thanks for that video very cool.
So looks like the company isn't up and running looking for backers?
Too bad I was ready to buy one.

I have something very similar made from a larger copper refrigeration fitting not as thick but close.
I like the idea of having 2 of them as seen on demo.

I hope they get it to market but won't be one backing them to get it there. :mrgreen:

Richard

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:11 am

Wow..that pro version looks awesome ! The neo magnet ball is cooler than a cylinder.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:55 am

Love this trick ... cheap and great for a funny routine! I would use it all the time in my physics classes if it weren't I don't discuss Lenz's Law in my courses.

By the way, after (a lot of) time the gimmicked and non gimmicked golden 'thing' get discoloured a bit, but spectators won't notice the difference after the switcheroo takes place :) Could be my version, or could explain why it is so cheap(ly made) ;)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:39 am

It happened to me also and I believe to all props made out of brass. I used the brass polish liquid to clean up and it looked like new afterwards. Both cylinders looked similar.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks Victor, will try that.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:36 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Love this trick ... cheap and great for a funny routine! I would use it all the time in my physics classes if it weren't I don't discuss Lenz's Law in my courses.

By the way, after (a lot of) time the gimmicked and non gimmicked golden 'thing' get discoloured a bit, but spectators won't notice the difference after the switcheroo takes place :) Could be my version, or could explain why it is so cheap(ly made) ;)
One thing I've learnt David's is that if you've got something cool to show your class that YOURE excited about, they will feed off of your excitemen. There's always a way to make something you want to share relevant.
Even if, at the start of the lesson drop the brass block and say "hey if we have a good lesson I'll show you something really cool with this at the end" then you can give them the homework to work out how you did it ;)
Now you see me...

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Well appears I was wrong the Feel Flux is available now. I am going to order the brown leather original with copper tube. Warning about the Flux aluminum one they show doing the tossing back up to catch it over and over if the ball hits the edge of the tube when you don't get it exactly in the center to catch it you will get a big dent every time that happens. Plus the aluminum tube the ball falls faster which doesn't impress me much although you can stack those to make the tube longer so that would make it more exciting and more expensive. So with that thought I have to think about that option later as well but I like the coopoper one for now. :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feel-Flux-Scie ... 28Brown%29

You can see the package it comes box stand pouch on their store but amazon is cheaper.

http://feelflux.com/shop/index.php?rout ... duct_id=51

They have a few colors to choose from so you have to go look what one you like best.

Richard

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:01 am

You're 100% right Simon!

Thanks for the link Richard, I might order one :)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:46 am

Done Deal it is on it's way wahoo.

Comes with Brown Leather Copper Cylinder, Strongest Neo Magnet Ball,, Desk Stand, Velvet Pouch, Instructions in a Gift Box.
Feel Flux Copper Brown Box.jpg
Feel Flux Copper Desk Stand.jpg
Feel Flux Copper Brown Contents.jpg
Feel Flux Copper.jpg
:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:56 am

Wow this looks so beautiful !

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:03 am

Just ordered one, the cupper Flux Original as suggested by Richard :) I love the GBP being so 'cheap' thesedays, it was even cheaper than ordering from Germany in EURO!
Victor, thanks for bringing this awesome trick back to my attention and Richard thanks for the suggestions and Amazone link! 8-)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:46 pm

David

What color leather did you choose. I got the dark brown for reasons I like the dark look and won't show stains like absorbing oil from finger prints over time. I didn't like the gray much but did like the light color leather against the copper color but could just see it getting stained from handling it. If I like this enough I might get another one. :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:48 am

Dark brown for the same reasons :)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:13 am

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but I find it interesting.

Richard: wouldn't this tend to dent the tube?

https://images.vat19.com/feel-flux/feel ... gnets.webm
and now, on with the show ...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:19 am

Only the sphere is a magnet. This machined magnetic orb is made from the highest quality neodymium, and can lift an object up to 33 pounds. If it gets magnetically attracted to something, you have to fight to pull it off. In fact, it’s so strong that even on a solid table, it will automatically orient itself toward magnetic north just when you set it down.

I wonder size the magnetic orb is?

It might be interesting to obtain a steel ball bearing the same size (non-magnetic) switch it out, and then offer tube and ball to the spectator for further fun!

OR

Do it the other way around ...

First offer the spectator the tube and non-magnetic ball bearing to a spectator to prove that the ball drops through the tube (quickly) as would be expected. Retrieve the Tube, then the ball bearing (switch for the magnetic one) and proceed with demonstration of a magnetic personality.

Bob~

NOTE: If using this idea, do not allow the two balls to come near one another other. I imagine two balls stuck together with a 33 pound magnetic attraction could be rough to deal with ... and tough to explain.

BluBob

Re: Newton`s Nightmare - FOREVER SPINNING TOP

Post by BluBob » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:57 am

This is a FOREVER SPINNING TOP video of how it is made which is fascinating!
It strikes me as a great holiday gift idea for people who like Fun Stuff Only!

https://foreverspin.com/?c=fsbroad&gcli ... aQodHOQDeA
FOREVER SPINNNG TOP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:07 am

The top looks sexy Bob ;) It looks like a spinning ballerina.
Would be cool if it floats like Levitron.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:54 am

I just received my Flux Original - what a thing of beauty this is! Extremely well made and HEAVY, boy, not something to carry in your pocket but all the more something to have on your desk and play with :)

The price is pretty high but when you see the attention to detail (the tube itself is marvelous), the very nice and sturdy stand and even the box, you realize why this costs that much.

A must buy for everyone who like thise gadgetery stuff!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:44 am

BluBob wrote:Don't know if anyone has seen this, but I find it interesting.

Richard: wouldn't this tend to dent the tube?

https://images.vat19.com/feel-flux/feel ... gnets.webm
Absolutely the tube gets dented every time the ball hits that aluminum tube. That is why I said warning about that version. Also if that magnet ball hits a hard floor it may also chip or worst those neo magnets shatter pretty easy.
Last edited by Richard W on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 pm

You guys do my head in! All these cool things, I want one!
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:25 pm

No, I don't want one ... Although I would like it. My budget is spent on the latest Magic Wagon. I will probably grab the cheap Newtons nightmare :)