May I introduce myself?

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
Steffen from Germany

May I introduce myself?

Post by Steffen from Germany » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a 46-year-old author from Berlin, Germany, and I've been intrigued with magic ever since my childhood. When in my early teens, I was poring over magic catalogues and the vivid descriptions of Tenyo effects. Those were the early 1980's, the days of "Eclipse", "Ribbon Forever" and "Quicksilver". Unfortunately, I never had the money to buy any of those effects back then.

As an adult, I've had an on-off relationship with magic. When the magic bug bit me again in my mid-thirties, I focused mainly on sleight-of-hand magic and seldom bought anything but books, tapes and a few accessories. Yet for some reason I could rarely muster the courage to perform for real audiences, even though I'm used to public appearances as a part of my regular job.

Just a few months ago, more or less out of the blue, I became infected with Tenyoitis. I started out with their recent output, but things got worse, and now I'm the proud owner of 74 Tenyo effects, including some discontinued and not-so-common items such as "Diabolicus", "Eye of the Idol" and "Lucky Rabbit". Ah, and "Eclipse" and "Ribbon Forever" as well. I'm also quite broke.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here. Perhaps with a "focus on Tenyo" I will finally become courageous enough to perform more often. This forum has been an inspiration over the last months, and I'm sure it will remain that way.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: May I introduce myself?

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Pleasure to meet you steffen, sounds like you'll enjoy it here :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Here's something fun to get you started..
Now you see me...

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:25 pm

SimonC wrote:Here's something fun to get you started..
Thanks, SimonC, I can't think of a better way to get started. Those film poster spoofs are clearly a labour of love and really, really, REALLY funny. Such clever wordplay and fabulous graphics. I laughed especially hard about "The Third Eye" and "Alfred Hitchcock's Rope to Silk". Great!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Thank you kindly steffan glad you enjoyed it. My favourite is rope to silk actually. There are higher res versions on the forum in the Tenyo eye candy section. Also you should check out John's Awesome Tenyo art gallery here..
http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/more/tenyo-art-gallery/
Now you see me...

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Yes, SimonC, John's art gallery is awesome indeed. My favourite is the Dali painting with Future Clock, Nostradamus Clock, Moonspinner and Mystery Triangle in it. So clever. Ah, and Funnel Vision. I probably missed something.

By the way, I'm not sure if a question like this belongs here, but I'm trying to find John's advice on how to carefully open Tenyo packages. Perhaps someone can help me? It must be someplace around here, but where ...?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:01 am

Hi steffen ( I spelt it right this time) there was a whole thread about exactly this but I can't find it right now, all I found was johns tip on opening mystery triangle here..
http://funstuffonly.com/tenyoforum/view ... ning#p5248
But victor did a whole thing about it I'm sure. Seek and ye shall find :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:02 am

Hello Steffen, and welcome!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 am

Hallo und Herzlich Willkommen Steffen :)

Nice to see you here and sure you will have fun here. I wish we can meet each other earlier Steffen. I studied in Berlin starting from 1999 and 2006 and spent lot of time in the magic shop in Berlin including collected some of Tenyos that I really love to have. If you are familiar with Freerszauberladen, I really had a good relationship with the owner Mr. and Mrs Freer at that time. Unfortunately after the late Mr. Freer passed away, the shop was closed in the next few years. Another magic shops which are still exist at the moment in Berlin are Zauberkoening (Neukoelln) and Theo Boehm`s Magic Factory I believe.

Great to know you as another magic collector from Berlin. Having 74 Tenyo collection is already great achievement and hope you can complete it step by step.

About your question on how to carefully open Tenyo packages, we got this discussion already under this thread (as Simon said) on the best way to open blister packaging :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=85

There was also another thread discussing about best way to open cardboard box, but I could not find it. I believe it was mixed with another thread and I`m not be able to trace it. Fortunately I still have the pics which probably could help you ;)

Cheers,
Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VictorS on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, VictorS. What a nice surprise, your German is perfect. :P

Yes, Zauberkönig still does exist, but it's got new owners, two young ladies, one of whom is the granddaughter of the old "Zauberkönig" ("magic king", of all things). I used to go to Freer's as well, but I wasn't a regular. Back in the late nineties, there was a nice little shop at Warschauer Straße, which I have fond memories of. The owner was very kind, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. I have to admit, though, that during my long hiatus from magic (almost 15 years) I've lost touch with the magic scene here. If you'll ever come to Berlin, be sure to give me a note so you can show me around. :D

Seriously, I always envy people who had a chance to live, work, study in a foreign country for some time, because I hadn't. Seven years, as in your case, are a long time, and I'm glad you have fond memories of Berlin.

The advice on opening boxes is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, VictorS! You guys are great!

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Thank you, David. You probably recognised me. Still happy with the things you sent me, by the way.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Welcome Steffen,this really is the place to be,there are some awesome people here! hope you have lots of fun here, Regards Gaz.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Hello Steffen, nice to have another European member, welcome! I am from The Netherlands, and the only Dutch member here, and probably the only "Holländer" who doesn't give a damn about football :-)

Ich spreche und schreibe auch ein bischen Deutsch, also wenn Du mit mir mailen sollte, dann kannst Du das ins Deutsch tun :-)
I did that with our other German member Martin, although not so very often.

Like you, I didn't dare to perform for years, but stimulated by this forum I managed to overcome my shyness and performed now and then at the office and at family meetings. But mainly I perform for Youtube :-)

Anyway, welcome here and enjoy the posts and dpn't hesitate to ask things!
Last edited by Rob Rand on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:51 am

Rob Rand wrote:Hello Steffen, nice to have another European member, welcome! I am from The Netherlands, and the only Dutch member here, and probably the only "Holländer"
"There can be only one"

Oh wait, that's highlander
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:33 am

Steffen,

Welcome to the Forum.

I am glad that you found us.

John

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 am

Hello Rob Rand, your German is excellent, if I may say so, as is so often the case with the Dutch. I have some Dutch friends, and I sometimes feel ashamed that they speak German so well while so few Germans speak any Dutch at all. Ik spreek en betje Nederlands maar ook niet goed. I will happily email with you in German, though.

As for "performance shyness", I find it very encouraging to hear that you were able to overcome it. Hopefully, I'll manage to do that, too. It's good to know that there are some like-minded people out there that I can ask about these things.

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:06 am

Thanks very much, John, for the welcome. I look forward to participating here. It's a great forum and a great sister website as well, that much I know from lurking around these parts for several months. It's good to be a part of it now.

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:10 am

Thanks Gaz, I'm sure I will! I'm very fond of British culture, by the way, so it's always nice to meet a Briton.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:18 am

Steffen from Germany wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, VictorS. What a nice surprise, your German is perfect. :P

Yes, Zauberkönig still does exist, but it's got new owners, two young ladies, one of whom is the granddaughter of the old "Zauberkönig" ("magic king", of all things). I used to go to Freer's as well, but I wasn't a regular. Back in the late nineties, there was a nice little shop at Warschauer Straße, which I have fond memories of. The owner was very kind, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. I have to admit, though, that during my long hiatus from magic (almost 15 years) I've lost touch with the magic scene here. If you'll ever come to Berlin, be sure to give me a note so you can show me around. :D

Seriously, I always envy people who had a chance to live, work, study in a foreign country for some time, because I hadn't. Seven years, as in your case, are a long time, and I'm glad you have fond memories of Berlin.

The advice on opening boxes is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, VictorS! You guys are great!
Steffen,

You refreshed my memories again about Berlin :). Thanks a lot. Yes, I visited several times also the Magic Shop at Warschauer Strasse, The name of the shop was Magic and More Berlin. The owner was Frank Schulz. He was a nice guy and I was quite happy to find that "Laden" ;) I bought my first invisible deck there and also Tenyo Antigravity Rock, Future Clock and The Eye Of The Idol there. Unfortunately the shop was closed also. Seems that it is not so easy nowadays to run Magic Shop business.

Yes Steffen, I love Berlin very much. Someday I will fly back there to visit you and also to refresh back my memories again. My uncle lives in Berlin and he opens a small asian restaurant (Imbiss) in Wedding area in Berlin. He usually flies back home to Indonesia once in a year or 2. Sure we will have great opportunity to share more magic. Wow...how small is the world nowadays. I think I should again thank John M who has built the network here. Thanks again John M...thanks Steffen for refreshing me back again ;)

Vic. (by the way, as Simon always says, you can call me Victor or just Vic ;))

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:34 am

Hello Victor,

Yes, it's great and a tiny bit crazy, us talking about Frank Schulz and his long-gone magic shop on this forum, and I enjoy it very much. (By the way, Frank Schulz is the name of a well-known German writer too.) No wonder you remember Magic and More so well - Antigravity Rock, Future Clock and Eye of the Idol are among Tenyo's best, don't you think?

I live nowhere near Wedding, I'm afraid, but if you email the address of your uncle's restaurant to me, I'll surely drop by sometime soon. I love Asian food (well, who doesn't?).

So don't forget to let me know when you come to Berlin. In the meantime, let's get to know each other on this forum. I look forward to it. :D

Regards, Steffen

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello Steffen,

It is good to see you here as well.

Botond
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 am

Hello Botond,

thank you for your welcome, and thanks again for those instructions. They were very helpful!

Steffen

Shan

Post by Shan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:14 pm

hello welcome!!! i hope you get more and more tenyo along the way!

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:21 am

Thanks Shan! I'm afraid I have to slow down my collecting activities a bit - 74 Tenyos in three months was quite a hefty investment. But a rewarding one. :-) And I'm going on, of course, just at a slower pace.