Hello from Canada

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
PeterW

Hello from Canada

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi I am new to the Tenyo forum and wanted to say hello. My name is Peter and I am 47 years old. I have been interested in magic since the age of 5 and have been casually reading the forum for over a year now and thought I would join. I am particularly interested in this forum because I enjoy the ingenuity and design brilliance that goes into Tenyo effects and magic in general. I also enjoy wood working in my spare time and design and build custom made puzzle boxes. I put the same type of ingenuity and lateral thinking that goes into magic into the puzzle boxes that I create, and hope that I can bring some of that lateral thinking to this forum. Again many thanks for having me here and I look forward to chatting on the forum!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Cool! I'd love to see some of your work Peter, I'm a big fan of puzzle boxes and wood work.
Welcome to the forum and happy new year!
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Simon, If your interested in puzzle boxes I would highly recommend you have a look at this site,

http://www.puzzleworld.org/DesignCompet ... efault.htm

It's a puzzle design competition that I have entered several times. There's a ton of great puzzles and puzzle box designs on the site and if you dig around the included PDF's allow you to see how they are solved. Here's a few pictures of some of the puzzle boxes I've designed and built.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:31 pm

beautiful work Peter! the third one is particularly intreguing, bravo!
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Many thanks! The third one is named Ferris' Box, and I was happy to win a jury first prize in the competition with that design in 2012.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Fantastic Peter! They look great, like pieces of art, and you must use your brain to solve them!

Mechanical puzzels were my first love. I absolutely love and collect, well collected I must say, puzzle boxes and other brainteasers since the age of 16. I have a lot of books from our own Dutch puzzle lover Jack Botermans with descriptions of how to make several kinds of puzzles. I also like the site from mrpuzzle.com.au, where I ordered some sequential puzzles.
I have also some things from Wil Strijbos, and loads of wooden puzzles.

But the most satifying thing of course is what you do, designing and making puzzles!

Very late, when I was about 35, I began to get interested in magic. Since a few years I am busy making tricks myself, so I stopped buying mechanical puzzles. I'm 61 now, and happily retired :)

Great that you develop puzzles Peter, if you don't mind I have here some links concerning the Ferris box:

http://mechanical-puzzles.blogspot.nl/2 ... art-2.html
http://allardspuzzlingtimes.blogspot.nl ... s-box.html

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Many thanks Rob for the kind words. Thanks also for the extra links on my puzzle box! I am familiar with all of the sites and people you mentioned in your post. I also have been hooked on mechanical puzzles and have been collecting for several years. My collection keeps growing and I now fear I need to build my own display cabinet to house my collection : ) and yes the cabinet will have a secret way to open to get to the puzzles : )

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Welcome Peter.

You work is both beautiful and interesting.

I am glad that you found us and joined us.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello Peter and welcome.
Nice to have you here and your wood works are totally awesome. I wish I could become a wood worker like you or Simon one day. Hope it will be not to late for me. Seems that most of the magician love not only magic but also puzzles incl. myself. Well magic is actually also a puzzle wrapped with miracle effects ;) Great to have you here !!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:38 am

Do you sell any of your puzzle boxes Peter?
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi Simon, I do sell them but there are many collectors that request them so to make it fair to all collectors I normally sell them via auctions. I currently don't have any for sale, but if your interested in puzzles and puzzle boxes there's a good site for craftsman puzzles here http://www.puzzleparadise.net/index.php?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 am

Welcome Peter!

Shan

Post by Shan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Welcome!!! good to see another tenyo fan from Canada, whereabouts are you located, if you dont mind me asking? you will love it here, i have learned so much about tenyo here!

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Shan, I'm located about an hour outside Toronto, Ontario! Enjoying the forum so far, lots of reading to do!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:43 am

All those wooden puzzles intrigue me ... but I must refrain myself of buying those and start a whole new collection of items .. collecting magic has become too expensive for me already!
Your woodwork is amazing, and if you can build such clever wooden puzzles you must be able to build nice wooden magic tricks too I suppose :)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 am

Welcome Peter,

Love your work. Will check your links. thanks ...

Question: Do you have a source for The Winston Freer puzzle?

Once again, welcome!
:lol:
and now, on with the show ...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:33 am

The Winston Freer puzzle is a great puzzle, I don't know of a good source for one. A while ago I did see a cheap knock off version on EBay, but I believe it wasn't a true Winston Freer design as the performer needed to pawn off a piece for it to work. The Winston freer version does not require you to remove any pieces.

Actually I did a quick Google and did find this http://www.woodencigars.com/wftp.html I'm not sure about the quality of the version he's selling but at least it's a starting point.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Beautiful work Peter- welcome!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:26 am

Hi Peter, this is a bit off-topic but I was in Amsterdam yesterday and visited Het Paard at Haarlemmerdijk and saw a maze-puzzle that intrigued me, purchased it. Discovered it is invented by Robrecht Louage, a Belgian puzzle maker.
IMG_20150320_121327~2.jpg
No magic trick but a cool looking puzzle!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi Rob, yes I know Robrecht, his puzzle designs are very interesting. I don't own that puzzle but it looks like you will have some good fun with it! You can see some other puzzles here in this blog review of Larva http://mypuzzlecollection.blogspot.ca/2 ... larva.html

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Pierre Meyer of Paris sells a version of the Winston Freer puzzle.