RonP from Switzerland

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
RonP

RonP from Switzerland

Post by RonP » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Hello from Switzerland! My name is Ron and next week I am going to be 51 years old. I have been working for the past 18 years as a (history) teacher. Now I am "on sabbatical" enjoying my small family. I have been married for 5 years now and I became a father rather late, at age 50 in 2014. I am about to move back to my native Basel after spending the last 16 years in Zürich. While I am looking for a new teaching job I also want to get my magic life more active again (and get my self a new magic homepage, my old one I deactivated about a year ago). I have been into magic since age 10, back in 1974. I started performing magic shows by the age of 15 or 16, although there are some (funny) pictures in my albums of me "performing" some magic tricks as early as age 12 or 13. I lived nearly 12 years abroad. From 1990-98 I lived in the US, in St. Louis and Boston, where I joined the SAM and the IBM. Back in 1992 I joined the Psychic Entertainers Association (PEA) where I am still a member. This year I joined the Swiss Society of Magicians (MRS). My magic has focused from 1992 up to the present completely on my mindreading/mental magic program (as well as hypnosis to some extent). For years my friends and family asked me to perform some "normal" (close-up) magic again for them. I always had to say "I don`t do that anymore"... Early in January, being so relaxed on my sabbatical and freed from grading papers all the time... I saw a performance of Tenyo`s Magic Butterfly on youtube, as well as an early version of John Mazza`s Houdini (black hole) escape. My mother loves butterflies and I decided to buy the trick (twice, for a good reason to be explained later...), as well as writing to John and ordering the Houdini Black Box... Since then 2 months have past and I am not only the proud owner of a set of Houdini`s Black Box and two Magic Butterflies from Tenyo... but around another 30-35 Tenyo Tricks, both old and new!! I bought myself a close-up pad fixed onto a piece of wood including drawer (Mikame, used)... and now whenever my one year old son is asleep in the evening, I can play and practice for a few minutes with my new Tenyo tricks and experience what I am sure many other Tenyophiles feel when playing with these tricks: Wow, this is so neat! How is this possible? Ups, just fooled myself again... Cool! To be continued...
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: RonP from Switzerland

Post by JohnM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:18 pm

Welcome Ron, great intro.

You have a lot in common with many members on the forum. The two forum moderators, Simon and David, are both working teachers. I taught for a few years as well.

Ironically you almost never made it here. Yesterday I got an email from someone who registered about three weeks ago but never got approved. I looked and never got the normal email I get when someone registers. When I went into the administration area to see what I could find, the registration was there waiting for approval as well as yours and two others. Thanks for being patient, sorry for the delay to you and the others.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:41 pm

What a great introduction, thanks for that Ron! Nice to have you aboard :)

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:17 pm

welcome along Ron!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 pm

hi Ron! so a discerning magic collector, congratulations on your black box, it's a classic! hope being a teacher in Switzerland is fun, let me know if it is, I might come and join you!
Now you see me...

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Ron :!: I have visited Basel once that was two years ago, i work and live in Geneva for almost 8 years now. Hope we cross our paths someday :)
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Welcome Ron, great story, discovering the smart Tenyo tricks and rediscovering close up magic and not only doing mentalism...

Happy journey here!

Ps I am also the proud owner of John's Black Box and it already gave me ideas for new routines...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Welcome Ron, great to have you here and enjoy all the fun ! ;) One item from my and my wife wish list is to visit Switzerland. People said that it is the heaven on earth. Well maybe someday we will get opportunity to meet. ;) Thanks for sharing a great story.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:23 am

Greetings Ron,

Welcome Ron. This is a great place to be!

I too, am fortunate to have John's cool Black Box effect.

All the best,
Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

RonP

Post by RonP » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:44 am

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome!

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone (but I thought it just might be...), but a few days ago I looked over the list of all Tenyo tricks on this website and came to the conclusion that in my past magic days, when my cupboard was filled with magic props, the following Tenyo items were mine (all sold a long time ago):

Glass Board
Water Suspension
Card Case
Occult Board
See Through Guillotine
Zig Zag Cig
Wonder Window
Side Track
Match Sticks
Vault Vision
Bolted!
The Devil`s Disk
Hyper Vision
Mindscanner.

Of those 14 tricks I have bought Zig Zag Cig & the card case again these days.

OK, so what are my favorite (top 10) Tenyo now (besides the Houdini Black Box of course)?

Magic Butterfly, 4D Surprise (with John`s US flag), Prison Box, Mystery China Box, Magical Door, Illusionarium, Trisector, Mobile Illusion, Lucky Rabbit and Crystal Cleaver.

My least favorite (and for sale or trade - oops, sorry to mention that here...) is: Diabolicus. I have a used version - no original packing/German instructions... Why? I cannot see what I am supposed to see...
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 pm

RonP wrote:My least favorite (and for sale or trade - oops, sorry to mention that here...) is: Diabolicus. I have a used version - no original packing/German instructions... Why? I cannot see what I am supposed to see...
Don't give up on Diabolicus. It is a good one.

If you can, take a picture and post it here to see if we can read it.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:18 am

JohnM wrote:
RonP wrote:My least favorite (and for sale or trade - oops, sorry to mention that here...) is: Diabolicus. I have a used version - no original packing/German instructions... Why? I cannot see what I am supposed to see...
Don't give up on Diabolicus. It is a good one.

If you can, take a picture and post it here to see if we can read it.
Yep...John was correct, don`t give up on it.
Diabolicus is still on my wishlist and I hope to own it someday. I know some of people have the same problem like you do but It is one of the best "hands off revelation" trick ever invented and it was beautifully made. I would also suggest you to keep it ;)

Shan

Post by Shan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Welcome!! Love your intro!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:31 am

About Diabolicus: I see no problem showing the box all around at the beginning of the effect and giving it to your spectators, saying nothing can be seen through the lid or bottom. When you do the peek you can also do this, and while looking hold it close to your eyes. I don't know if that helps?
Of course it's better not to touch the box but the trick is that good you indeed should give it one more try. And hey, if someone figures it out they will still be in awe of the extremely clever principle Tenyo used, and they'll be just as happy that they found out the secret (not that it's the best thing that can happen of course :)) And doing magic that makes people happy is what it's all about isn't it :)

BillD

Post by BillD » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:19 am

Hi Ron, welcome...great intro!