Hello from Richard Kaufman

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
Richard Kaufman

Hello from Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:03 pm

I have a confession to make: I am not "Jimmy Z," but actually Richard Kaufman. Jimmy Z is an alias I used with the permission of a good friend of mine (and who registered on my behalf)--he is a magic collector and was the best man at my wedding.

Not feeling that I would be able to join under my real name at the time, I elected to use this roundabout path.

I've been feeling extremely guilty about this charade I've been engaging in since I joined, but with items by Simon C. and John M. (and several other members here including Eliot Warman and Roberto Breyer) in the Tenyo book, I feel the need to "out" myself.

I wanted to be part of this community in an inconspicuous but helpful way, and hope I've succeeded in that. I also hope to continue, and will shortly change my onscreen name from "Jimmy Z." to Richard Kaufman.

Posting about myself in the third person in the thread on the Tenyo book has made me extremely uncomfortable.

I have never used an alias on any forum before--as a person with Asperger's Syndrome, any kind of falsehood is anathema to me. And the charade of posting as "Jimmy Z" has been bothering me quite a bit.

So, hopefully we'll be off to a fresh start. If you have questions about Tenyoism, ask away. I will be able to reply to comments and questions much more directly now.

Thanks for your time and understanding,
Richard Kaufman

Brett H

Re: Hello from Richard Kaufman

Post by Brett H » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Agh! I knew it! I kept thinking, 'this guy knows a helluva lot of crazy not-known details'. I couldn't say for sure, but I was suspicious.

In any case. Welcome to the forums!
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Ha! Was thinking the same thing. You had way too much inside info especially for someone with only 120 newer tricks (including 70 Disney items!?).
Anyway happy to have you here under your own name.

Now what are the chances of getting some of the others like Davy to join as well?

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 am

This can only be a good thing.
Welcome Richard
Simon from Aus (but English)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:34 am

I just found out Jimmy Z was Richard today only hours before his post here. David, Simon and I had discussions in the Moderator Section regarding Jimmy Z being Richard and also that Jimmy Z was a bit contentious for this forum. I agreed to let Richard stay because he is a big fan and customer of Simon's. Simon asked me to consider it. Also,Richard reached out to me via email over a month ago and asked if one of my alt Tenyo handlings could be published (quite prominently) in his book. I felt that was an olive branch that he offered.
Elliot W. wrote:Now what are the chances of getting some of the others like Davy to join as well?
Wait a second. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

As far as "some of the others" coming here, I will have to see about that. I am the only one who can approve members and I want to be careful and maintain the serenity of this forum. It is very rare for any aspect of social media on the internet today to be drama free and we have been drama free since the get go, two years and counting. The main reason for creating this forum was to get away from the negativity in the Tenyo section of the Magic Cafe. If many of those same people come here, then I am afraid this forum will never be the same and be ruined. Over time we can see about letting a person or two come every now and then if they ask in a respectful way to join.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are already here.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:09 am

what john said at the end there is very important, this is a positive and friendly forum. you'd be hard-pushed to find a similar forum online that is as consistently amicable and constructive as this one. this hasn't happened by accident and it is a fundamental part of this community.
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:38 am

Of course John. You have built something special here and we all want it to stay that way.
I apologize for getting ahead of myself.
It's just that the animosity between Tenyo collectors is something that had always bothered me. I assumed that if richard was here you guys had buried the hatchet and thought maybe some of the others would want to hop on as well and contribute to the positive vibe that this forum has.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:32 am

I too wondered if it was Richard lol .

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:22 am

Elliot W. wrote:Of course John. You have built something special here and we all want it to stay that way.
I apologize for getting ahead of myself.
It's just that the animosity between Tenyo collectors is something that had always bothered me. I assumed that if richard was here you guys had buried the hatchet and thought maybe some of the others would want to hop on as well and contribute to the positive vibe that this forum has.
Yeah, I thought that the collaborative work on Tenyoism was a sign if the hatchet being buried. Am I wrong in this line of thinking?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 pm

hopefully not Brett :)
Now you see me...

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 pm

The friendliness of this forum is why I joined. It simply feels like we are all chatting amongst good friends.
I am a member of some other forums (music & magic) where a lot of drama takes place. This forum is a refreshing escape from all that.

Welcome aboard Richard. I can't wait to get my deluxe copy of the Tenyo book!!!

Kirk

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:06 am

I thought JimmyZ sprang up rather quickly, and seemed so very very knowledgeable.
It's always good to know the truth. Thank you for that.

I don't belong to any other Tenyo form, and I am thankful for the members here.
I DO have a keen interest in Tenyo, and Tenyoism.

Just for the record, I AM REALLY an International touring Blues musician/Guitarist/Bandleader/Songwritter who was introduced to Magic by Syl Reily, & Robert Nelson at age 10. I was in Al Mann's "think tank" and created the effect which fooled Al Mann entitled "The Kolophon." I was introduced to Tenyo in the mid 80's by a magician friend who showed me "SideTrack" and a few others.

For anyone who thought I might have been Frank Sinatra, I'm not ...

POINT: I am who I say I am ...

A big "thank you" to the powers that be for John, Simon, Rob, Victor, David, Brett, Elliott, and all you other FSO members who have been so kind!
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:19 am

I can verify Bob's Blues credentials, I've enjoyed many videos on the youtubes of his band. So where can we see the Kolophon, it sounds interesting :)
Now you see me...

Shan

Post by Shan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Well... Hello and welcome!
If John is ok I'm sure we will all be fine here
And yes, and I like it here too cause it's so drama free..(believe me girls are dramatic enough already in my life) another reason why I don't post on the magic Cafe
I hope we all get along here!
Again welcome Richard!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 am

Yes Shan, the drama free nature of this forum has and always will be top priority, I'm sure Richard knows that and we'll get along well.
Welcome Richard, great to have someone with so much knowledge aboard :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:17 am

Call me naive but I had no presumption that Jimmy Z was someone else. I did notice Jimmy Z had a more than average knowledge about magic, and that at times he had an explicit opinion about tricks/effects.
It is to his credit that he confesses he has an autism disorder. I happen to have a diagnosed autism spectre disorder too and know by experience that lying just hurts, so I fully understand his concern about being here as an other person.
Anyway, welcome Richard!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Rob Rand wrote: It is to his credit that he confesses he has an autism disorder. I happen to have a diagnosed autism spectre disorder too
My son is on the spectrum as well. I don't think of the spectrum as a 'disorder'. But more of a different way of seeing things.
Where's my colon?!

Nitrous_doug

Post by Nitrous_doug » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:19 pm

That spectrum harbours a lot of awfully creative people!
I have to say that in searching through the posts on here, the common theme has been one of warmth and friendliness.

In response to this thread, I've seen far less elegant ways to deal with posts under a pseudonym. Both on the part of the member and the forum admin. There are valuable lessons to be learned here.

Oh, and for the record, I am really Canadian!
Doug