JimD (Tenyo Man)

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
JimD
Charter Member

JimD (Tenyo Man)

Post by JimD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Hello, everyone. I live in the Houston area and have been a magic enthusiast for over 50 years. I perform stand up and close up, have won several awards (including the TAOM Best Act of Convention), and have an extensive magic collection -- P&L, Owen, Okito, Thayer, Merv Taylor, Abbotts, Grant, Milson Worth, Taytelbaum, Warner, Babcock, Himber, books, yadda, yadda. I never really intended to be a collector, BUT it happened over time as I accumulated magic over a half a century. Fortunately, my wife tolerates me well.

Magic has been a major part of my life. It started with watching Mark Wilson when he performed locally on a Dallas TV station. When my father took me on my first visit to Douglas Magicland and I recieved my first catalog, I was hooked. I thumbed through that catalog and marveled at all the tricks and focused on how to allocate my money and pinpointed the few tricks I could afford. I checked out books from the library and read them cover to cover. Sound familiar? Eventually, I came to own just about everything in the catalog, but it took five decades or so to get to that point. The group skills I developed performing magic over my life have served me well in my business career. I have mixed magic into the building of business relationships. Magic is a wonderful dimension to share with others when presented correctly.

Which brings me to Tenyo. I never heard the word "completist" before until I saw it used from time to time by folks referring to a category of Tenyo collectors. I guess that is what I am. I have 95 percent of the "T numbered" items. I bought most of my collection in magic shops. I don't know exactly what attracted me most to Tenyo -- the great effects, the unique packaging, the cleverness of the methods, whatever. Suffice it to say that I have always admired Japanese magicians as their magic and magic offerings are different. They seem to think and approach things a little differently, and that was always a plus for me as many of the items in the Tenyo line were invented by Japanese magicians.

I am pleased to see John set up this forum for Tenyo collectors. I have found Tento collectors to be very nice people. I plan to check in as often as my schedule permits. I have a full load of a day job, so I may not respond to inquiries as quickly as some would like.

Warm regards to my fellow Tenyo collectors and performers!

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Member Profile -- Tenyo Man

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Great profile. Welcome Jim.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:14 am

Thanks for all that info and welcome!

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 am

Welcome aboard Jim!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Welcome Jim glad to see another new member. Nice profile!

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 pm

welcome jim hope you have a great time here! warm regards gaz p.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Ahoy hoy jim, nice to meet you :)
Now you see me...

Per-Aage
Charter Member

Re: Member Profile -- JimD (Tenyo Man)

Post by Per-Aage » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:11 am

Welcome to the Best Tenyo Forum Jim :)

Its great to have you here !
- Its nice to be important, but its more important to be Nice !