Greetings from Boston

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
RobKinslow

Greetings from Boston

Post by RobKinslow » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Hello,fellow Tenyophiles. I fell in love with Tenyo magic around 1971 in the basement magic shop of Jack Miller in Syracuse, New York. I can still see Jack demonstrating Time Capsule for me. I loved that the tricks were well made and artfully packaged. I loved the lines: An amazing trick! Anyone can do! I recall Tenyo seeming pricey compared to other magic, but even at a young age, I sensed the greater value.

I made about $10-$12 a week delivering newspapers, would save my money for weeks, then blow it all at the magic shop, always taking some Tenyo home. My first Tenyo were Time Capsule, Crazy Spots, Chameleon Silk, Crystal Tube, Su Te Ki Na, Penetro-Coin, Fantastic, What's Next? and Silk Serenade. I performed all of these at my magic shows for family, neighborhood friends, and occasional kids' birthday parties for the princely fee of $5.

Foolishly, I sold all of my magic equipment after college, believing I must move on from childish things and pursue a career in journalism as I prepared to move to Boston. Plus, I needed the money to pay Boston rent. I stopped performing magic in my early twenties, but after having two kids in my late twenties-early thirties, the magic bug returned. I hunted down many of the books and tricks I'd had as a kid, and started collecting Tenyo with a vengeance. Today I own around 250 effects, including some rarities, but not some of the ones I had as a kid -- I'm still looking for some of those.

The most I've paid for a trick was very recent, $295 for Against Gravity, T-34, mint condition.

I'm a professional medical writer/brand strategist but am on track to become an ordained Unitarian Universalist minister this fall. I always use magic when I preach -- last Easter, for instance, I had Tenyo's Clyde (The Magic Rabbit) perform a Crystal Cylinder effect to magically produce Easter eggs.

You can learn more about me at www.robkinslow.com.

I'm delighted to join you all here. It is a wonderful passion to have, even better to share.

VictorS

Re: Greetings from Boston

Post by VictorS » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:40 pm

Welcome Rob :) Thanks for the great story and I hope you enjoy the forum. There are so many information here you can explore here. Have fun :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:55 am

What a wonderfull introduction. Welcome Rob!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Welcome Rob! Greetings from another Rob :)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Welcome Rob.

It's good to have another new member.
Have fun.

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Another Massachusetts resident! Welcome!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:19 am

Welcome Rob, I really enjoyed reading your intro.

Ralf R

Post by Ralf R » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:21 am

Welcome to the forum, Rob :smile: