My Profile About Tenyo

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
Mike Ihrig

My Profile About Tenyo

Post by Mike Ihrig » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Hopefully I am doing this correctly. Not too good on posting.

My first recollection of Tenyo was in the 1970's at Walt Disney World. I purchased many products there and felt that Tenyo was useable magic to perform with.

Only magicians act like it is a toy or plastic. When I was performing, I was going for the entertainment factor and not the "Wow" factor. But that usually came with the entertainment.

I opened my first magic shop in 1985 in Rochester, NY: Mike's Magic & Merriment and carried all of the latest Tenyo. Even though I carried the products, I was a user, not a collector and like all magic, if it didn't fit my act I didn't keep it. But, none the less, I became an unknown expert on Tenyo.

In 1986, I submitted my routine for Zig Zag Cigarette and Ultraslice to Tenyo Japan for a contest they were running and on November 10, 1986, was notified that I had won.

I received the latest Tenyo products for that year, but never got validation in any of their publications. (Please see the below attachment.)

I sold my shop in 1991 and in 1999 went into a partnership with the magic shop The Magic Island in Fairport, NY. I became co-owner and started putting Tenyo on the shelves.

That shop closed about a year after 911 and I bought Tenyo for myself from dealers at conventions.

I have about 100 Tenyo tricks, but am still selective when I purchase them. My most prized possession is my Tenyoism books, which I inherited. I have left specific written instructions to save all of my Tenyo magic and it is stored in separate bins (except the ones I am using currently).

In closing, Tenyo will always remain a big part of my life and I still can't wait to see what the newest releases will be either in the USA or Japan!
Tenyo Contest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Re: My Profile About Tenyo

Post by VictorS » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:44 am

Welcome to the forum Mike, what an interesting story. Actually I`m curious on your submitted routine for Zig Zag Cigarette and Ultraslice to Tenyo Japan, it must be cool. I submitted once idea to Tenyo but they rejected it but Hiroshi Kondo sent my prototype back and give me a new Tenyo animation card as compliment. What a nice experience too. Look forward to hear more from you :) Enjoy the group, there are so many things to explore here.

Cheers,
Victor (from Indonesia)

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: My Profile About Tenyo

Post by JohnM » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Great introduction to us Mike. Is there an example of that Routine that won the contest?