Allan from the Great White North

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
Arctic Allan

Allan from the Great White North

Post by Arctic Allan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello forum,
I first got started in Tenyo around 1998 when I bought some tricks for my wife’s 8yr old nephew for Christmas, but after learning how to do the tricks for him and when Christmas was over, I had no more magic to play with ….. I was bitten. So I went to buy some for myself, and one of the first tricks I bought was Prison Box! Looking back, I see how lucky I was. It only has been the last year or so that I learned about collectors of Tenyo and since, I have decided to increase my own collection, which I am ashamed to say is only 10,… and after viewing some of your profiles, it’s a good thing there is not a minimum to join this site lol. I’d say I have about 50 tricks in total, so that would give me a 1 – 5 ratio of Tenyo tricks, not too bad. This week I was able to pick up, Eye of the Idol, love it.

Triva part of my intro:
Giving into the Canadian stereotype, I adopted the forum name, “Arctic Allan”, but in fact, I have actually been to the Canadian Arctic for work. I worked and lived in the Territory of Nunavut in a small place called Chesterfield Inlet,… pinpoint that on Google earth! This was really a once in a lifetime opportunity. When I was there, I saw polar bears, belugas, tasted arctic char, and witnessed many other amazing things that only the Arctic can offer. Any questions about the North? Fire away.

Looking forward to all the Tenyo Mania here, great site John!
Allan

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Allan from the Great White North

Post by JohnM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Welcome Allan,

Having your first trick being Prison Box made it tough for every other trick that followed to live up to. That is my easy #1 favorite.

By the way that is a COOL name. Get It. :lol:

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:00 am

Welcome to the community Allan and thanks for the fantastic story :)

Warm regards from Indonesia,
Victor

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am

Welcome!!!.......I checked the place in Google Earth.....very interesting.......I like isolated towns and places.....they catalize your relationship with nature.

What was your work there??

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 am

hello Allan! prison box and eye of the idol are two corners to have already. I'm excited for you that you still have so many treasures to discover, and the eureka moment when you've been watching the trick performed on YouTube (usually by Roberto) for weeks, scratched your head about how it works, ten it arrives on your doormat and you open it up and go 'ahaaaa!'. priceless.
I had a whole pile of notes and sketches of theories from when I was trying to work out prison box, it was like an interactive logic puzzle.
looking forward to hearing more about your frosty adventures, we have our own polar bear here, he's called per.
nice to meet you, have fun!
si
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:32 am

Thanks for your introduction Allan! Canada is one of those countries that is on my 'to visit' list - you guys have so much ROOM, something that is becoming a big problem in countries like Belgium.

You're clearly bitten by the Tenyo virus, and there's no cure as you might have read, apart from buying tricks :lol:
There are a lot of affordable items you can still find in the next few years I'm sure, also some discontinued ones.
I do agree with John about Prison Box, it is one heck of a mini illusion, one of Tenyo's finest, this one is hard to beat!
Browse the forum and you'll see what items you'll like. Or even better, ask away! 8-)

Welcome to the forum!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 am

Welcome along Allan, yes prison Box is an awesome start to your Tenyo Adventure,i would also recommend crystal cleaver as a must buy,mini zag if you can find it and wonder window which is a great spin on the glass board effect. I hope you have a great time here at this Tenyo carnival.. Gaz Pratley.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 am

Hi Allan, welcome to this forum. A few years ago I obtained Prison Box for the normal price on a German magic webshop, but since then all these little gems were grazed away by greedy Tenyo collectors.

Welcome and glad to hear you also own other non-Tenyo tricks!

Per-Aage
Charter Member

Post by Per-Aage » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 am

Welcome to the Tenyo Forum Allan !

Its great to have you here with us :)

Per-Aage (Polarbear)
- Its nice to be important, but its more important to be Nice !

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 am

Welcome, Allan!

Prison Box is one of the Tenyo tricks I was not able to solve until I bought one.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:52 am

yes prison box is a superb trick a real fooler I couldn't figure this out at all before I bought it! plus it"s designed by a fellow Briton Angelo Carbone.

Arctic Allan

Post by Arctic Allan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks for all the greetings guys, glad to be here, now to answer a few questions and add a bit more.

Hey John,
Yep, Prison Box is one of my favs as well, but, the locking mechanism is showing its age, so I am gently with the old girl now, trying to extend her life a bit.

Hey Roberto,
What was my work in the North? When most of the world thinks of Canada, only a few things come to mind; beavers, moose, trees and a Police Officer riding a horse. I was one of those, no not the wide life one of those Police Officers riding a horse, an RCMP or Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer. But, unlike the thought that comes to mind, I don’t ride a horse, or wear that red uniform (scarlet tunic, original British name for it, or Red Serge we call it mostly) while working. Ever run after anyone with knee high boots and spurs, that’s not easy. As an ice breaker (like the pun?) in the north I use to show magic to the kids, I am sure they haven’t forgotten me. But then one day I made the mistake of levitating my pregnant wife in a store and was called a devil, lovingly I think …. needless to say, I didn’t levitate her again.

Hey Simon,
Yep The Idol is great, paid $125 for it, with a trade in of some magic I don’t use, I think I got it for a good price. My wife is always my first audience to practice on, usually an eye roller, but not for the Idol, she likes it a lot. This solidifies the test that I made the correct purchase and she won’t say, “another magic trick?”. So, I think I gonna stick to Tenyo tricks for a bit.

Hey gazpratley,
I also purchased The Crystal Clever sometime shortly after Prison Box, part of my, “go to” quick grab magic to show people, but I do have my list to pick up a MiniZag and Mini Morphosis. Thxs

Hey Per-Aage,
You’re no stranger to the arctic circle and stories of the north I’m sure, bet you’ve been in -60c ( -140f) weather as well. Now that’s cold.