T-104 Black Hole

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-104 Black Hole

10 One of the Best
20%
09 Superior
13%
08 Excellent
60%
07 Very Good
No votes
06 Pretty Good
7%
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 15

JohnM
Site Admin

T-104 Black Hole

Post by JohnM » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 am

Name: Black Hole

T-Number: T-104

Inventor: Shigeru Sugawara

Year: 1980

PICTURES of T-104 Black Hole

VIDEO of T-104 Black Hole

T-104 Black Hole on PLANET TENYO

VictorS

Re: T-104 Black Hole

Post by VictorS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:08 am

Black hole is one of the Tenyo that I underestimated before until I see it in actual. I was lucky enough that BobD shown me this ingenious innocent looking prop when we met at the first time in Dec 2014. Black hole is one of the prop that you will not know how the inner construction works unless you open or break it to see the inside mechanical work. Comparable to Tenyo Mirage and Wonder Window. The one who know how it exactly works it is our JohnM who came up with his awesome Black Hole remake in aluminium namely Houdini`s Black Box : http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/buysell/h ... black-box/

Until this moment I`m still figuring out on how it work although I was lucky enough to own Black Hole since several weeks ago. If you see John`s creation in his sister website : http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/buysell/iimas/ he came up with so many add ons or additional effects using Black Hole. Even with his Houdini`s Black Box, you are be able to create a magical acts. This is one of advantage point that I rate it high (9) because the creativity is unlimited. The missing 1 point is because the prop is only partially examinable. We can built our own routine and it`s limited only by our imagination. Our Simon made a great demo on John`s Houdini Black Box as you can watch it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lyaRWFWuQQ
At the last you can even see the T-136 Geometrick effect on the Black Hole.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:19 am

Black Hole is typical Tenyo Ingeniousness from the past. Clever, practically self working and for the day it came out unique.

I rate this particular trick not as high as some others but it is still a wonderfull item to have in your collection. I advice to those who do not own this effect to buy the new version created by John Mazza, it has so many advantages over the genuine Tenyo version. You can open the frame and use other cards and that elevates this item to new heights. Unfortunately I do not own John version (YET ;) ) but the reviews have been raving and knowing how John focuses on every litle detail this indeed has to be a winner.
In the genuine version you can also slide other cards in (as the one made by John in his Houdini Handcuff Escape add-on) but his completely new version is more suitable of course.

Ok, back tot he basic Black Hole effect. The effect itself is rather simple, and without a good story it really is a 'show me a quick litle trick' kind of thing. Here's a card with a black circle. I push it through the tunnel, the hole falls out and the card has now a hole in it. Simple but great, and when a spectator is holding her or his hand and the hole falls into it it always gets a good laugh.
The only problem I have with this trick (some have it more then others) is that the red card which is inside the frame can sometimes stick a lilte bit out. If you are not carefully handing the case a spectator may see it. However this is only the case with SOME versions I have had in my hands. The one in my collection does not have this (small) problem.
The case can not be examined but it can be shown freely all the way around (IF the card doesn't stick out). The spectator can not try himself, but this is not necessary at all as with many magic tricks.

As far as routine goes I think John provides excellent ideas with his Houdini add-ons.

Another possible effect which uses a Svengali Deck is described by Steve Vil on Tenyo Blogspot: http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.be/2010/05/ ... -hole.html. Basically your Svengali card is forced, then it dissapears from the Svengali Deck, then a blank card becomes the selected card with the Black Hole device.

I'm giving this an 8/10.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:19 am

David DeTenyo wrote:
Another possible effect which uses a Svengali Deck is described by Steve Vil on Tenyo Blogspot: http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.be/2010/05/ ... -hole.html. Basically your Svengali card is forced, then it dissapears from the Svengali Deck, then a blank card becomes the selected card with the Black Hole device.
Guys thanks for the kind words.

A Svengali card, or any bridge or poker sized card is too long for the Black Hole. I guess Steve and no one else ever gave it a try.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:19 am

Ive never seen an original black hole but am the proud owner of an HBB. as we're scoring the tenyo version I've given it an 8 as its a nice idea but once you perform it there's not much scope to expand. HBB on the other hand takes the concept out to dinner, wines and dines it, buys it some lovely clothes and creates some amazing routines with the device. now as a utility device and with a range of extra props to supplement your routines you're onto a big 10.
one thing I do like about the original is the simple design and colour scheme, it looks like a prop from 2001 a space odyssey, perhaps that could link in with the black hole idea?
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 am

JohnM wrote: A Svengali card, or any bridge or poker sized card is too long for the Black Hole. I guess Steve and no one else ever gave it a try.
You are right John. I tried it with the Bicycle playing card too.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:36 pm

I wasn't aware of that ... like many others I never tried it ... . If you have a card trimming machine you could make your own cards but without that would be quite a hassle ... .

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 pm

I tried Vil's idea and it worked for me. He does say to use a Svengali Deck, in which the card in question is cut more short than a normal playing card.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 am

Interesting. Time to try it out myself I suppose :)

magicjeff

Post by magicjeff » Sat May 04, 2019 3:38 pm

just got ahold of this one! I love it!