T-262 Magic Butterfly

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-262 Magic Butterfly

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
9%
08 Excellent
27%
07 Very Good
27%
06 Pretty Good
5%
05 Good
23%
04 OK
9%
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 22

JohnM
Site Admin

T-262 Magic Butterfly

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:43 am

Name: Magic Butterfly

T-Number: T-262

Inventor: So Sato

Year: 2015

PICTURES of T-262 Magic Butterfly

VIDEO of T-262 Magic Butterfly

T-262 Magic Butterfly on PLANET TENYO

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: T-262 Magic Butterfly

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Best trick of last year for me. The gimmick is real Tenyo: ingenious and self working :) I'm not going to write the same review as I did on my site. To be brief, the review still stands. 9/10.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Of the 2015 line, I would say that there is a tie between Magic Butterfly and Security Lock for best trick.
I will say that 'Butterfly is THE MOST fun to perform. Kids love it, adults love it, teens love it. It's a universally accepted trick amongst all audiences.
I give it an 8/10. And I say this knowing that the entire 2015 line is virtually non-inspectable. I think Magic Butterfly is one of the harder tricks to manage an audience with. Everyone is so amazed and wants to see and grab at everything because of how amazing it is, and you virtually have to act as the kid who doesn't want to share their toys.
I think Security Lock & The Alchemist are slightly easier to utilize audience management.

But the non-inspectability hurts the trick a bit. And that requires proper audience management in order to increase the rating. And that's something laymen can't really do 'out of the box'
Where's my colon?!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:59 am

JohnM wrote:Name: Magic Butterfly

T-Number: T-262

Inventor: So Sato

Year: 2015

PICTURES of T-262 Magic Butterfly

VIDEO of T-262 Magic Butterfly

T-262 Magic Butterfly on PLANET TENYO
======================================================
This is a great trick ...

TIPs:
I use the REAL FOUR COLOR cards, and do a sloppy mixing of the cards keeping the correct card on top. The sloppy mixing looks very fair, After mixing for a while (without explaining what the goal of the mixing is about) I suddenly say someone please say "stop." At the very same moment, I add the correct card to the top, and say "please remove the top card and place it face down on the table." I then show the other three color cards which could have been chosen, saying "one color remains please turn it over now."

BACKWARDS A TAD:
After showing my three cards, I lay them down and pick up the Butterfly box, and place it into THE REAR OF MY LEFT HAND WITH THE LATCH OF THE BOX FACING MY RIGHT HAND." I then ask for the face-down card to be turned over saying "one color remains, please turn it over now."

At the same time, I bring my empty right hand over the box as my LEFT fingertips are in position to turn the box over. (under cover of the right hand) I take the box with my right hand, (which aids in completing the move) and finish the "turnover." (fingers of the right hand are on the left side of the box, thumb on right side of the box) I then lay the box down on the table still covered by my right hand. As I lift my right hand from the box the "reveal" is made.

NOTE:
Placing the LATCH OF THE BOX TO THE RIGHT GUARANTEES THAT THE LATCH WILL BE IN THE CORRECT POSITION ONCE TURNED OVER.

Performed in this manner, I have found it to be astounding to the spectator.

I like all of you, find ways to make my presentations personal.

This is indeed a beautiful effect, which I originally gave an 8, but it probably deserves better ...
and now, on with the show ...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:50 am

I love every parts of this trick except the box. I will perform it without the box.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:59 am

Never used the box either ... (as in above description)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:00 am

When I say box, I mean the Butterfly Box. Never used the Black surround box!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 am

As I was looking through the National Museum archives the other week I noticed a dusty box on a shelf marked "Caribbean Artefacts"...
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:40 am

Got your point Bob ;)
Another alternative that I developed that I made an extra butterfly cards with double blank cards, let the spec choose 1 butterfly (which actually I force it), let it vanish and appear in the box. D`lite would be good here also to create additional effect while I vanish the chosen butterfly. Actually if we can let the spec hold the box and the the butterfly appear on their hands, it will create more surprise ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:24 am

There's some free printable cards I made in the Printables thread and a net for an alternative black box it gives the trick an "antiquy feel". I'll find a link when I get home
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks Victor, and Simon, the trick deserves our combined thought process.

Victor: I LOVE the idea of using D'lite. Perhaps the light could be the same color as the chosen Butterfly.

Simon: Can't wait to see where your "link" will take us ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:18 am

Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:31 pm

I've noticed a few things with performing this:

1) I REALLY prefer using a handkerchief than utilizing the black 'What's-in-the-box?'. It's clunky, hard to fit in the close-up case I have, and a handkerchief just works better for performance and has more utility with other tricks in the Tenyo inventory.

2) I feel like I need something soft to rest things on during a performance. Like a close-up mat, carpet, couch. This helps in the 'move'. Not so noisy. Although I'm not sure if the Phantoma Hanky COULD work on a close-up mat.

3) I need to figure out some sort of better 'force'. Because I'm doing this for children in a hospital, I have the cards in double card protector sleeves (card in an Ultrapro sleeve, which is then placed in a top-loader) for ease of cleanliness purposes. So a double-lift it out. And it was recently suggested to me that I could do a 'Hot-Rod' force and I'm starting to figure out a method for shuffling to make it look like you're mixing the cards--which you are; but placing the cards in a position that make it possible and where you'd more than likely get the non-gimmicked card. I'd REALLY like to use a non-gimmicked bunch of cards and use a legitimate force (I have to look at my other 2 cards again as I THINK there's an all green card (I'm about town right now). But seeing how I'm using REALLY clunky card protectors, I'm not sure if I can even utilize a bottom deal--like it would matter, I think maybe the Hot Rod force would work here. I'd still likle to see if anything else is possible.
I'm looking into a Cull force at the moment to see if that would work, but because it's 4 cards we're working with, I think 'Cull would be suspicious.
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Do you know how to do Magician's Choice? If so, then you can use the four ungimmicked cards and no sleight of hand.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:31 pm

I just looked into Magicians Choice and boy is that totally worth working. Especially since I'd much rather use the ungimmicked cards. Thank you for the recommendation as it seems like it has a 'cleaner' feel for a performance. I'll give it a go on my wife this afternoon who LOVES dissecting how magic tricks work (she immediately figured out the gimmick to Ultimate Shocking Pen this morning. Frowny face).

Thanks again.
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Brett H wrote: 2) I feel like I need something soft to rest things on during a performance. Like a close-up mat, carpet, couch. This helps in the 'move'. Not so noisy. Although I'm not sure if the Phantoma Hanky COULD work on a close-up mat.
Sure that will work Brett. Lay the hanky on the table. Assuming you have the box in your right hand and your left hand take one of the hanky corner or vice versa. While you cover the box with the hanky, you can do the secret move and continue to fold the other 3 sides completely. You can add additional effect with the hanky as you perform the phantoma showing that "something" come inside the box mysteriously and the reveal the final outcome. Well just an idea. ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri May 01, 2015 5:25 am

Using the Phantoma hanky for this effect ... brilliant!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri May 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Funny thing, I need to look up Ballerena Hank and watch for its applications. I just recently received Phantoma and working with al these new tricks.
But I'm looking into seeing if there are different ways of 'working the Glorpy' to make the 'butterfly' appear gentler underneath the hanky. I seem to be rather heavy handed with everything.

I tried the Magicians Choice yesterday. Oh boy, I'm a fan. It's not heavy mentalism when you're working with kids (my preference of spectator) and I can show all 4 cards. Magic Butterfly has slowly become one of my 'go-to' Tenyo tricks, I must say. I still need to work on a couple things--including presentation. But the effect is worth working towards.

Now as far as using the non gimmicked cards on adults. Magicians Choice MIGHT work. I know my wife would catch onto it. I'm getting some Max Maven stuff in the mail soon. Maybe some heavier mentalism tactics might put the force under the radar
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri May 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Magician's Choice was designed to be done on adults, not kids. The subtleties are not something that can be learned immediately. You have to use the right language, and be casual about it.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat May 02, 2015 4:49 am

Indeed Jimmy, magicians choice seems very easy but there are a lot of subtleties as you say.

This is a great example of the use of the magicians choice/force with a regular deck of cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJcUNusZ3n0 (strats at 1:25 +/-).

Another way to easily force a card is use rough and smooth. You'll need to make your own butterfly cards for Magic Butterfly (or buy several sets).

Make the 4 butterfly cards and 4 duplicates (use blank faced Bicycle, you'll have to draw the butterflies or print them on the cards, else the rough and smooth won't work as it should), let's say the blue one. Now use rough and smooth method with each card being a double and the top card of each double being the force card (the blue butterfly). Casually fan them out showing each card different and mix up (apply some pressure!). Stack the cards and stop at the card they select as you place one card at a time to the bottom. Lift top card they stopped you at and that will be the force card.
Of course you can also perform the trick with regular cards (and duplicates) but then it won't be a butterfly trick of course.
This routine is based on something I read on TMC but I can't remember who posted it - in any case should one of you guys know please mention her or his name in this thread please.

Here's another idea: use a forcing bag like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGG-BAG-NET-Cle ... 1018880688 . You can tell your spectators you caught butterflies in a 'net' (the forcing net-bag resembles a net). Perform with the four colours in one of the compartments and the duplicates in the other compartment. You'll need several butterflies of course, but you can use any cards or papers, or cut out the butterflies you printed, that's even more convincing.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat May 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Where can I better Lear Magicians Choice?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat May 02, 2015 3:39 pm

I love it when a trick gets everyone talking :) I think magic butterfly is one of those ones that just has a certain something.
Seeing as this thread is getting quite active I'll share a new video here. A couple of weeks ago an anonymous member of the forum asked if I could make the case in wood, and have a treasure map with a missing piece as part of the trick, the idea being that you could do the move underneath the map (much like you guys are suggesting with a hanky) and produce the missing piece.
After some thought about the idea I remembered a prop from Pirates of the Caribbean and a routine and context quickly formed.
So thank you anonymous collaborator, here is my version of Magic Butterfly...

The Broken Compass...
http://youtu.be/sFQu6lX9z0A
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat May 02, 2015 4:34 pm

This is a great combination of ideas Simon! You transform this trick into a fascinating story...

You inspire me to rethink every trick and come up with a story, preferably combining several magic principles... Like your Mystery Rabbit, and now your series if Museum miracles, this is a good follow up to your Vile Vortices.

Now that my Carpenter's Revenge project is finished, I want to take a sabbatical to think of similar 'classic' storytelling magic as you have realized, and keep realizing.

You inspire me to become your... concurrent :) But unlike you, I am a slow developer.
Of course that's joking, we are no concurrents, we can inspire each other in making magic more than a 'trick'!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat May 02, 2015 4:40 pm

And oh yes, I forgot to tell you: that was a fantastic video you made, great music, classic texts in between, beautiful remade Butterfly Box... and great props! This is like magic should be!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat May 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks rob :) The great thing about this forum is we all inspire each other. I'd seen yours and Robertos videos long before I knew you on the forum, and I'd seen johns add ons on eBay before I got mistaken for him on the cafe (a great compliment btw).
This is the best place for us guys, we've got many years of invention ahead!!
Now you see me...