T-240 Shrinking Pen

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-240 Shrinking Pen

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
9%
08 Excellent
18%
07 Very Good
36%
06 Pretty Good
36%
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 11

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

T-240 Shrinking Pen

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 am

Name: Shrinking Pen

T-Number: T-240

Inventor: Takahisa Inaba

Year: 2009

PICTURES of T-240 Shrinking Pen

VIDEO of T-240 Shrinking Pen

Roberto's VIDEO of T-240 Shrinking Pen

T-240 Shrinking Pen on PLANET TENYO

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: T-240 Shrinking Pen

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:07 am

James Bond's favourite trick! I really wanted to love this trick and I admire it's ingenuity but I've never been able to perform it well. the concept is amazing though. I give it a solid 7 :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:16 am

Well, it's difficult to rate this trick since I never, ever performed it to anyone (as with a lot of other Tenyo's). I think it is, like Simon said, ingenious. However I can not beleave this fools anyone ... yes, if you wish you can hand the little pen out casually, and it does look ordinary at the start, but seriously ... .
I do like the fact you can actually write with the pen (which isn't possible in Invisible Zone for example), and it is very easy to do (although 'lapping' something and/or covering it with a handkerchief never enthousiasms me). So writing is possible, but only at the end ot the routine, unfortunately. Writing with it at the start is also possible, but will most likely give the secret away, because take of the cap of the 'large' pen and you'll have something that looks pretty darn weird!
But, once again, perhaps I'm thinking as a magician ... and built into a larger routine that focuses away quickly to something else this could be a winner. For a children show this might be perfect.

For now I'm giving this a 6, which means I don't think it's that bad ;) I'm going to try it out this evening when we have a visitor and will let you guys know!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:29 pm

My, this one got posted fast! Thank you, David!

And! I'm really surprised that you can actually WRITE with the pen, much like Ultimate Shocking Pen. It gives the option of adding an extra level of depth to the effect.

I'm more than likely going to get this near the end of the month, but I think it does some things better and some things worse than Undercover Cube.

While you have an object that people can relate to, the presentation versatility is a lot more narrow than Cube.

Does the big one write? Or the small one?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 pm

have you seen inception? what if the small one IS the big one ;)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:01 pm

The construction of the trick is pretty clever. I was quite surprise at the first time that the gimmick is something that we can find as day to day object. I never thought of it. The gimmick can be secretly hidden in place and there is a clever way also to pull out the gimmick. The weak points : we have to "hide" something to clean up in order to make the effect possible and the second one, unfortunately the big pen is little bit (1 cm) too long in my opinion. But overall, it`s a very good trick.

Last but not least,the way Tenyo make the front cover packaging is pretty clever in my opinion. Something was made for a reason :) :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:35 am

I gave 'Shrinking Pen' a 9. It's a really good Tenyo with very few flaws to it.

I got one from John a little bit ago because we're going to Disneyland soon and I want to try it out on people waiting in line and such. The effect is fantastic, even better that THEY do the magic and not the magician.
I LOVE Tenyo that don't restrict themselves to a table, AND it's tactile magic. Super powerful effect.

It's a great successor to 'Undercover Cube'. You DO lose the versatility in which effect you can choose (Vanish. Penetration. Even another one that, if I say it, it'll give it away). However, you instead get a prop that people will IMMEDIATELY recognize as a pen, and not an odd prop. So it's a good tradeoff.

My biggest complaint is the sl**v**g. Not a fan, as it makes the trick a tad less versatile, IMO. But the effect is so powerful. I'm conflicted about it.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:54 pm

On Eastern I also performed this one (and Magicians finger as you might have read), and I was surprised people were really baffled!
I'm upping my score to a big fat 7. Not Tenyo's best ever, but still, a very cool trick! And the fact you can write with the tiny (oh so cute ;) ) pen is a huge plus. And it is more or less examinable at the end :D

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:12 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:On Eastern I also performed this one (and Magicians finger as you might have read), and I was surprised people were really baffled!
I'm upping my score to a big fat 7. Not Tenyo's best ever, but still, a very cool trick! And the fact you can write with the tiny (oh so cute ;) ) pen is a huge plus. And it is more or less examinable at the end :D
I was wondering how your performance went!

Honestly, my jaw would be in the floor if 'Pen WASN'T able to amaze. Highly interactive, they do the magic, doesn't come off as a puzzle. It's pretty hard to hate :p

Now 'Finger. That one gets a LOT of flak. How did that one go?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 am

I performed for my mother who basically loves every magic trick, but she REALLY loved this one - especially when I started moving the real finger inside the box - I actually scared her because I held the box closer to her and BANG up the finger went, accompanied by some horrible screaming by me - IT'S ALIVE! :lol: - so, it was fun to watch and we had a good laugh. And that's what it's all about isn't it :)
PS: as with my wife, she didn't realize it was (my) real finger inside the box, so when it start to move people tend to gasp. The moving of the finger isn't part of the original routine I believe since you kind of give the secret (for a part) away, but heck, it's fun and people seem to like it :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:44 am

Just read that last post back David and try to keep. Straight face ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:14 am

You have a very disturbed mind Simon, very disturbed indeed :lol: But what I wrote does read a bit weird :D

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am

Wow... :lol:
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:59 pm

OMG early onset dementia

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:53 pm

I don't think there is a way to write a performance report on 'Magicians Finger' without it sounding a bit...off.

To that end, David tried! ;)
Where's my colon?!

HerveM

Post by HerveM » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm not a fan of this trick. The mechanism is ingenious ... essentially for the magician.
D
Warning! The pen is fragile. When I opened the box, I broke the clip by playing with the pen (before looking at the notice).