T-245 Ghost Lamp

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-245 Ghost Lamp

10 One of the Best
9%
09 Superior
18%
08 Excellent
27%
07 Very Good
18%
06 Pretty Good
9%
05 Good
9%
04 OK
9%
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 11

JohnM
Site Admin

T-245 Ghost Lamp

Post by JohnM » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 am

Name: Ghost Lamp

T-Number: T-245

Inventor: Scotty York

Year: 2010

PICTURES of T-245 Ghost Lamp

VIDEO of T-245 Ghost Lamp

ALTERNATE VIDEO of T-245 Ghost Lamp by the Super Creative JapanMagic

T-245 Ghost Lamp on PLANET TENYO

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: T-245 Ghost Lamp

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:31 am

An excellent trick for sure! It's easy to do and always gets great reactions with laymen :)
I have always been planning to make my own bicycle gimmick, a lot slimmer than the one provided with Tenyo's version ... .
By the way this trick costs A LOT more in Europe or the USA than it does in Japan, so if you want one try finding a Japanese webshop.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:40 am

David DeTenyo wrote:...
By the way this trick costs A LOT more in Europe or the USA than it does in Japan, so if you want one try finding a Japanese webshop.
I also don`t understand this why. It happens also to Tenyo Flying Carpet.

I believe this is the greatest deal you will ever have.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/maru ... tny115787/
Even including the shipping from Japan, it is still cheaper than the price you can get in Europe or US. 1 item left but I think they can restock and it`s still easily available in Japan.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 am

Tenyo discontinued Ghost Lamp recently. I suspect that they will dry up in the not too distant future. If you want one, this may be a good time to acquire it.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:19 pm

I like this trick, it's one of my tenyo that I can perform to my three year old too so bonus points there.
Last year I started work on some wooden chips that I could use instead of the cards. The idea was to have 6 or 8 chips with a different spirit animal etched on them. They would be identical on each side. I would make them by sandwiching two pieces of wood together and hiding a disc magnet close to the surface of one. This would make them activate the lamp one way and not the other. The lamp could then reveal a spectators chosen spirit animal.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:46 am

Steve S. wrote:Tenyo discontinued Ghost Lamp recently. I suspect that they will dry up in the not too distant future. If you want one, this may be a good time to acquire it.
Are you sure about that Steve? I am currently working on an update of my website and like every year I publish a list of tricks that have been discontinued. The Japanese (!) version of Ghostlamp isn't marked as discontinued at this time ... .

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:08 am

Hmmm...I think so. A Japanese friend informed me about two months ago so I am assuming the information is accurate.

Perhaps it would be best to wait until Tenyo officially marks it as such.

Did Tenyo mark Crystal Cleaver as discontinued? I was told to say goodbye to that one as well.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Both "Crystal Cleaver" and "Ghost Lamp" have been officially discontinued. There is still stock in the stores: I saw "Ghost Lamp" at the Tokyo Disneyland Magic Shop last week.

"Ghost Lamp" is going to come out in a new form as one of the tricks in the Party Party Magic line early next year.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:06 pm

We can say goodbye to Vanishing Point and I am pretty sure Invisible Zone as well.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks for clarifying Richard and all the info Steve! Seems Tenyo's 'official' website, even the Japanese version, is a bit behind ... .

Time to buy some extra spares of some Ghost Lamps, Vanishing Points and especially Crystal Cleavers and Invisible Zones!
But the stock in shops does remain pretty high so we should be fine for a year or so.
However even after that there will be so many on the second hand market because they have been sold by the (hundreds of?) thousands I think :)
And as a last resort there is Steve who will have a nice amount in stock ;)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:06 am

David DeTenyo wrote:And as a last resort there is Steve who will have a nice amount in stock ;)
:lol: With some yes and some no. It's interesting how availability greatly varies after Tenyo discontinues a T number. For example, Prison Box, Fortune Sticks, and President's Cabinet all seemed to become scarce much faster than some others. No lingering stock on those I suppose.

I will certainly make available to all of you whatever I can and at a nice price.

Just think how sad we will all be when China Surprise becomes difficult to obtain. :shock:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Further to my earlier post, I had a bit of time today to tinker.
Here are some prototype wooden chips. They are the same both sides but have a 'way up'.
There is a disc magnet close to the surface of one side which activates the ghost lamp.
You could ask the spectator to name their chosen symbol, and you could hold it up to them, turning it as you replace it down. They then hold the lamp in the silk and hover it over the chips. We all know the last bit ;)
What do you think? A good idea or should I leave it at the prototype stage?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:44 pm

I think it's a great idea! They look great and I would prefer to use those instead of the cards.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:49 am

I could call it 'The eureka experiment' as when the bulb reads your mind it lights up:)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:25 am

I love the idea Simon, I think it`s very smart ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 am

I really like the idea Simon, and the chips look beautifull!

However, while the trick is good as it is, I think perhaps there is some room for improvement, and a clever mind like yours can perhaps find a solution for this ... .

- First, the magician will know what the chosen symbol is in advance. In the original routine with cards the magician doesn't see the chosen card. If there is a solution for this (as in: magician seemingly doesn't know what the chosen symbol is) it would be great ... .
- Second, but this is inherent with the gimmicked chips, turning one over could arouse suspicion if you're not carefull ... . Perhaps there's also a solution for that?

Anyway, the above are merely suggestions and in actual performance for laymen all of that could perhaps not be necessary, I'm just thinking as a magician ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:23 am

good call. how about this...

You use the chips alongside a set of marked ESP cards. You ask the spectator to choose a card and place it face down in front of them. At this point you can read the mark and know which symbol is picked. You then proceed to place the chips in a row in between you and the spectator, it is here that you turn the necessary one over. (you can show front and back of each chip as you place them down) The trick then proceeds as we all know...

If I make these, the chips will sit in a wooden holder, this will
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Ghost Lamp is neat in the sense that you can do some neat things with the lightbulb.

Ive tried using the deck that comes with it, and maybe it's because I'm not too proficient with cards, but it feels a bit clunky to use. I like Simon's chip idea as it looks a lot more versatile for presentation purposes.

Also, the variation in the deck colors. is the red deck in the English packaging and the blue for the Japanese packaging? Or was the red one in the 'first run'?
Where's my colon?!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Both the Japanese and English versions come with that red Streamline deck.

The blue deck that Japanmagic is using is his own and I think is sold in Japan.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 pm

My deck is blue...
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 pm

I have a blue one as well (box was Japanese packaging).

John has a red one on Planet Tenyo
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Perhaps it was just luck of the draw and they made equal amounts of both?
Now you see me...

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Really? Interesting! I have never seen a blue one. Now I am on a mission... :D

Should I assume that the blue deck is the same Streamline deck as the red?

That deck Japanmagic uses has a different back.i think it's a regular deck. Is that a safe assumption? HELP!!! :lol:

I was just thinking (uh-oh!), maybe Tenyo changed the back color when they did a second run. We have to get to the bottom of this guys! :shock:

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Steve S. wrote:Really? Interesting! I have never seen a blue one. Now I am on a mission... :D

Should I assume that the blue deck is the same Streamline deck as the red?

That deck Japanmagic uses has a different back.i think it's a regular deck. Is that a safe assumption? HELP!!! :lol:

I was just thinking (uh-oh!), maybe Tenyo changed the back color when they did a second run. We have to get to the bottom of this guys! :shock:

Here's a question: when did you get your Ghost Lamp. I got mine in the summer of 2014 and I have a feeling that I may have got a 'second run' variant.

The only visuals I have seen of the red streamline deck is Planet Tenyo and Stereo's site. I haven't ever seen a 'used' Ghost Lamp in EBay, so there's no way to tell from there.
Where's my colon?!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:45 pm

I think I have seen only two of them open and it was before 2014. If I remember correctly, they were both in the English box. I know at least one was. Those were available early on.

You can typically tell a first run because it will have one of those small round green dayglo stickers with the release year on the front of the box.

As well, any photos of the trick I have ever seen had a red deck.

Tenyo's official demo is from early on and has a red deck. That one should have been from the Japanese stock I suppose.

So, perhaps the early runs were red and the later run or runs were blue.

Or, as Simon suggested, they did some of each for a single run and it's the luck of the draw.

Tenyo keeps us busy in many ways, huh? :roll: