T-200 Undercover Cube

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-200 Undercover Cube

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
No votes
08 Excellent
33%
07 Very Good
27%
06 Pretty Good
7%
05 Good
13%
04 OK
13%
03 Not So Good
7%
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 15

JohnM
Site Admin

T-200 Undercover Cube

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Name: Undercover Cube

T-Number: T-200

Inventor: Petrick and Mia

Year: 2001

JohnM
Site Admin

PICTURES of T-200 Undercover Cube

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:09 pm

JohnM
Site Admin

VIDEO for T-200 Undercover Cube

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:32 pm

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: T-200 Undercover Cube

Post by SimonC » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:33 pm

I love the trick, but it's one of those effects that suffers in my opinion from costing a lot compared to a trick as complex as say, mini-Morphosis. The concept is dpfantastic thi and I suppose that's what we pay for, the secret, and sometimes the more simple ideas are the most devious. So ignore what I just said its great, just arguing with myself here ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:18 am

This is an effect I never actually performed, but I should give it a chance.

I don't know for sure if it is possible but Petrick (& Mia) have released tricks (under their 'Signature Series') that also use a/the red cube which would make for a great routine. I think but am not sure it is exactly the same cube as the one provided for Undercover Cube.

These are the effects from the Signature Series, they make a great routine:
1 - Convert A Ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VglCHSUJKr4
2 - Cubic Feat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxiHb9KNQ6M
3 - Slicy Dicey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKR7tjYgeHg
4 - Die-Namic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kbv7TTDF4g

If the cube in Undercover Cube has the same dimensions it can replace for example the second routine (Cubic Feat) - I find that trick a bit childish, it's very clear how it works, even for laymen.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 am

Not a fan of this effect at all [sorry] i performed it to 2 different people and they figured it out almost straight away! i also think the method is a bit obvious tbh.[ sorry] gaz...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Here is a link to a routine for this trick by Bob D.

http://funstuffonly.com/tenyoforum/view ... f=34&t=418

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Rise from your grave!

Just got this in the mail today. Glad to say it's the first Tenyo that I figured out--and got correct. Woohoo.

As for what to do with it, I think you have to beyond the instructions for this one. Not a fan of it, although I see three different effects being done with it: Penetration, vanishing, and a color change.

Not all at the same time :D. Although that would be something. Off the top of my head, the orange cube looks to be the same dimensions as those plastic freezer-cubes that you out in drinks. Would be a good way to introduce the props instead of just 'here's a cube, here's a box, here's a cup, and no looking!'

I'm trying to work in a vanish routine in which you wouldn't need the cup
Where's my colon?!

ConorA.M

Post by ConorA.M » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:51 am

I really really like this trick! When I initially saw the effect I personally thought that the effect itself tipped the method, as the spectator knows with certainty where they placed the cube. In my experience, by turning the effect into an escape it incrementally strengthens the trick. I begin by allowing the spectator to examine the cube and the box. After visually demonstrating what to do with the props, I have the spectator (under the cover of a handkerchief) open the box, place the cube inside, close the box and then place the whole thing isolated on a pedestal (the mug). After removing their hands from under the handkerchief, I have them place their finger onto the lid of the box to seal it closed. I then show my hand empty, reach under the handkerchief and mysteriously 'pull the cube' through its locked chamber - I then lift the curtain for the grand reveal.

As they react, I give a shocked gesture to the cube that I have placed before them on the table, giving me a brief moment to swiftly lap the gimmick.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:12 am

I just found one of these, and I'm looking forward to receiving/playing around with it. I agree with Brett that a good presentation will require you to go beyond the instructions to come up with something unique. Frankly, that is what I enjoy most about collecting Tenyo.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:10 am

Glad to hear you like this one Conor. I really should give it a chance in an actual performance, combined with, as you guys suggested, a nice routine and story, which is essential with this trick.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Great work, Connor. After evaluating my idea of what I want to do with it, it made me realize that I should probably use the damn cup.

I have been pretty much an avid 'I'm not using a damn cup!' user of Undercover Cube.

The problem is that it CAN be easy to figure out, like what has been said already. So you need A LOT of misdirection with this one.

What does this mean?

You need to have a routine that is VERY WELL SCRIPTED!

Not too hard. You just need a lot of elements to keep your audience occupied.

- In my routine, I'm intending to use a stopwatch to see 'how fast' they can assemble the box together underneath the handkerchief. I believe that this will keep the audience occupied on how fast they can assemble it as opposed to figuring out the method.

- I'm starting to think that a cup, box, or something is essential to the final reveal. This way, the audience is kept occupied on the orange cube and not the method.

I think you could also do 'impossible location with the cube instead of using a cup, but I haven't weighed the pros and cons yet
Where's my colon?!

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Bummer! The person I purchased mine from realized that he had already committed to another buyer. Hmmmm..... :cry:

I don't suppose anyone here has an extra that they are interested in selling (??).

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:35 pm

EvanS wrote:Bummer! The person I purchased mine from realized that he had already committed to another buyer. Hmmmm..... :cry:

I don't suppose anyone here has an extra that they are interested in selling (??).
Oh man, that stinks!

They are sort of difficult to come by on the EBay, but I will keep a lookout as I'm always on there scouting. I'll PM you as soon as one pops up on my radar.

However, Shrinking Pen is like the younger brother of Undercover Cube
Where's my colon?!

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:40 pm

Thanks, Brett! New or used is fine. I have one more lead that I am following up on, but I'll take all the help I can get.

You never "need" it until you have your mind set on it. :)

Thanks again!
Evan

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:42 am

I think it is still available from European shops.
Here: http://www.dynamitemagic.nl/shop/index. ... anguage=DE
Or here, very affordable: https://www.stolina.de/catalogsearch/re ... cover+cube

Both shop owners speak English if I'm not mistaking, but shipping will be a bit higher than from US shops.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks, David! I actually just found one from a US seller. Brand new and unopened, along with Eclipse. I have always been a fan of Harris's Twilight, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Tenyo re-invented it.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Brett H wrote: I think you could also do 'impossible location with the cube instead of using a cup, but I haven't weighed the pros and cons yet
Granted, I don't yet have this, but your idea of cube to impossible location reminded me of David Regal's "Power of Love," from Approaching Magic. It would require a bit more routining (and not even sure if the two would work well together, or make sense) but I am going to look at it from that angle once I receive the props.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm pretty sure you said you're getting one, but one popped up in EBay for $75 in English packaging.

Rather expensive for just the English packaged one, but it's new, and I haven't seen one pop up on EBay since last August.
Where's my colon?!

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks, Brett! I appreciate you looking out for me.

I found one for (thankfully) less than that. I wound up purchasing Eclipse from the same seller. Combined shipping is always a plus. :)

I have a few ideas for the presentation, and I'll post them here once I've had a bit of time to play.

Thanks again!
Evan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:10 am

EvanS wrote:Thanks, Brett! I appreciate you looking out for me.

I found one for (thankfully) less than that. I wound up purchasing Eclipse from the same seller. Combined shipping is always a plus. :)

I have a few ideas for the presentation, and I'll post them here once I've had a bit of time to play.

Thanks again!
Evan
All right! That's good! I hope you get it and work on that presentation soon!
Where's my colon?!