T-179 Trisector

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please rate T-179 Trisector

10 One of the Best
9%
09 Superior
41%
08 Excellent
27%
07 Very Good
18%
06 Pretty Good
No votes
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
5%
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 22

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: T-179 Trisector

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 am

A few days ago I got my Trisector from one of my Tenyo boxes and again realized it is a wonderfull example of fine engineering by the Tenyo company. The mechanism is so clever ... .
The only drawback of this trick is that it is actually pretty bulky/big for what it does (but this of course is necessary to make it work) and that could arouse suspicion with some spectators.

Trisector is one of those tricks that could be beautifully remade in a nice looking wooden version. The plastic 'blades' could be replaced with nice metal/gold looking swords of some kind.

Did anyone try using a credit card in stead of the blades by the way? I'm currently not at home so I can't try. Use the credit card to slice a bill in three with Trisector, afterwards slice the credit card itself with Credit Slasher or Credit Surprise.

Fot those that didn't know, on Tenyo's official site (http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/tips/index.html) there is a nice tip for Trisector called "Visible Restoration" which was written by Mr. Kazumasa Shimizu.
At the end, when you remove the blades after returning the case to its original condition, do not engage the gimmick; simply remove the two blades. Place the case on the table so that the dollar bill side is facing upwards. Explain that the bill has not yet joined back together, and that you can see the spaces between the pieces of the bill. Have your spectator touch his finger to the center window, and press down firmly when you count to three. When he presses the case, the bill will instantaneously restore, and the spaces that used to be present between the pieces are visibly reconnected. You may now remove the bill.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 am

Great information David.

I tried both the Credit Cards and the Visible Restoration and I do not think that they are practical.

The blades are longer (8mm which is more than 1/4 inch) and have a lip that keeps them in the proper place to hide the huge openings. The credit card does not hide "things" as well. It can be done, but might not be worth the risk.

With the Visible Restoration I think the effect is not that noticeable to warrant putting the prop in control of the spectator. Also the transition is not that quick and it can be noticed by the spec since they are now staring at the panels.

In summation the Reward does not warrant the Risk but that are still very clever ideas. This is of course all my opinion and it is easy enough to try these out for yourself.

To keep with the Raining on the Parade theme, I think the Zig Zag Lady might not be practical as well. The dollar bill is very resilient and slides into the Trisector easily even though it is folded. With the printout, on the other hand, it is very difficult to slide the card in because there are tabs that are used to hold the bill in place and these tabs leave very little height. The bill seems to be more slick and it is also more rigid so it slides in as designed. Also the card does not hold up as well as the bill as far as bending is concerned. After a few uses it starts to look a little ragged. But I am not giving up. I am going to try some different papers to see if I can find one that works better. Stay Tuned.

Lüf Lirpa

Post by Lüf Lirpa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:37 am

It is not appropriate to make add-ons for tenyo items without the express written permission of the company itself. These tricks are designed to be used AND APPRECIATED as they are, not changed. As I have already said today, any alterations or revelations of method are an insult to the creator of the trick and to the company you all say you appreciate so much.
I would not be surprised if this forum is closed down very soon.
First impressions count, don't mess yours up.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:43 am

I doubt it.
Tenyo has a link to this forum on their official web site. They specifically complement John on his add-ons as well.
I think most magic creators appreciate creativity. I think they enjoy when someone uses their product in a new and interesting way. In fact Tenyo posts new routines created by others in the tips section of their website.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm afraid Lüff has a point. Elliot, I would appreciate it if you removed your post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Yes Elliot, you should be ashamed actually, Lüf certainly has a point to consider very seriously!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Ok guys, whatever you say.
But can I join your European forum then? I've got a something-or-other made in Europe so that should be good enough, right?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm

OK Elliot, that's right, by the way, it is NOW 12 o'clock (in Europe anyway), are you gonna change in a Werewolf now?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 pm

For us Dutch the April 1 fun is over... Farewell Lüf......forever......

Per-Aage
Charter Member

Post by Per-Aage » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:11 pm

you fooled me ! :)

I am glad is one year until NeXT 1.april :)
- Its nice to be important, but its more important to be Nice !

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Ha ha! You fooled me also. Good one!

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:31 pm

i knew it :!: i wasn't fooled :lol: by Rob's avatar alone you can sense from his smile that he's just kidding.
i'm sure Rob fooled LUF: :roll: :roll: :roll:
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:47 pm

I was not Mr Lirpa aka Mr April, but I was probably the first who found out he was a joke... I have no idea who was the joke maker :)

I saw some members suffer from Mr Lirpa s posts, so I decided to give a hint now... You look very relieved anyway.

But does the creator of this combination of all the foes of JohnM, to begin with Richard Kaufman, want to tell us his name? Although I believe it WAS JohnM for sure :)

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:56 am

waiting for the ''lady marmalade version'' :)
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 am

With some patience it is not that difficult to adapt it. Anyway, I had no trouble in changing the yen into a euro bill.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am

I don't think there ever was a UK version. I have only seen them with US or Japanese Notes.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:38 am

the lowest denomination uk note is £5 (about$8) so we don't do many bill tricks over here, especially in a recession!
you could perhaps print out a high res fiver to use in the unit then borrow one for the trick. (then run away with it)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Finding the English version of this trick with the dollar bill is becoming harder. Much more prevalent is the Japanese version with the 1000 Yen bill. Of course it does not come with the real bill to use.

Interesting Note:
I have a couple of Japanese Trisectors to sell and I also have a Japanese Midas Machine that I need a Japanese bill for. So I found some good scans of the bill online and figured I would make some one sided Japanese bills. I have done this before for the older US bills needed for the English Midas Machine which came out very well. It had the bill on one side and "Tenyo Ten" on the other.

When I opened the scan in Photoshop there was a warning that it does not allow working with currency, but I was able to proceed and do some retouching. When I attempted to print the bill, Photoshop would not allow it. I exported the bill to print in another program and only a part would print and then it stopped. I received an error in the HP printing software something like failed pixel match. So the printer has safeguards built in too. I then tried various ideas to fool Photoshop and my HP printer with no success. I could not even print the bill in grayscale.

This is a major problem for my Japanese Midas Machine. I have a Japanese Midas Machine that uses a 10,000 Yen bill. The conversion of a 10,000 Yen bill to dollars is more than $100 so it is unlikely that I will get a real one. Stumped for now. :?

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 pm

We had a similar problem in my office. We routinely make copies of checks. We got a new copier a while back and it prints a black page if you try to copy a check (or currency). I found that if I reduce it in size to 60% it will copy which is good enough for us but not good enough for Midas Machine. :(

Maybe you can pick up an old printer for cheap somewhere.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:00 pm

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, printers have been known to print an invisible 'white' code on each page that signifies basic info like date, time IP address etc to help trace nefarious missives.
I was aware there are a lot that won't print notes, I guess the better quality we can print the more scope there is for fraud. Still pretty creepy tho
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:06 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:20 am

Great idea for a new routine Simon -the Kill Bill Machine 8-)