T-251 Flying Carpet

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-251 Flying Carpet

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
No votes
08 Excellent
11%
07 Very Good
11%
06 Pretty Good
11%
05 Good
22%
04 OK
11%
03 Not So Good
33%
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 9

JohnM
Site Admin

T-251 Flying Carpet

Post by JohnM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Name: Flying Carpet

T-Number: T-251

Inventor: Lubor Fiedler

Year: 2011

JohnM
Site Admin

PICTURES of T-251 Flying Carpet

Post by JohnM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm

JohnM
Site Admin

VIDEO of T-251 Flying Carpet

Post by JohnM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

VictorS

Re: T-251 Flying Carpet

Post by VictorS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I didn't own this one but looking on the optical illusion effect and how Lubor Fiedler came to this idea,I would say it is a very good trick. It packs small n plays big.The material of the props especially the carpet could be improved from my point of view.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:48 am

My kids really like this one so I do it pretty often.
I always get one of 3 reactions:
1. Wow! That really cool!
2. Big Deal. It's just 3D glasses
3. What am I supposed to be looking at?

Reaction #3 is from a number of people I've encountered that just can't see the effect for some reason. I make a whole show of pretending to balance on the carpet only to feel really silly when I find them just staring at me quizzically. To them it just looked like I standing on the floor.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 am

It's a cool litle illusion but nothing more than that. I'm not making an effort to show this to anyone anymore because of the reasons Elliot mentioned and the hassle to set it up properly.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 am

Elliot W. wrote:My kids really like this one so I do it pretty often.
I always get one of 3 reactions:
1. Wow! That really cool!
2. Big Deal. It's just 3D glasses
3. What am I supposed to be looking at?

Reaction #3 is from a number of people I've encountered that just can't see the effect for some reason. I make a whole show of pretending to balance on the carpet only to feel really silly when I find them just staring at me quizzically. To them it just looked like I standing on the floor.
Elliot you are right, a number of people just can't see the effect. My remedy for those that can't see the effect is to have them squat, stare at the carpet, slowly stand up, and move from side to side. Before I start I explain that this is not a magic trick but an optical illusion, some people will see the illusion and others may not. Let them look at the box as a reference point and tell them that the carpet is now higher than the box. Everyone whom I've shown it sees the illusion after some time.

I really like this optical illusion. Some people can see the effect without the blue stickers but the illusion is greatly heightened if the blue dots are on the mat.

We must not present this trick as a levitation trick because nobody will ever believe us. It is an optical illusion that is simply beautiful to see.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 pm

I think this is a great optical illusion, but not a magic trick. In my opinion this should not have been part of the yearly tricks but released as a stand alone "toy."

Also, the package is very large and takes up a lot of room to store.

You can get the exact glasses that Tenyo bundles with the trick here, but unfortunately there is a minimum order of 50 at 75¢ each ($37.50).

A US magic shop had them for sale individually so I bought 6 more pairs for a total of 8 spectators, but I have never performed it for more than one person. Unfortunately that magic shop is now closed.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:40 pm

I know no one believes it as a levitation effect but I still present it that way just for fun. It gets people interested when I show the words "flying carpet" on it. I also tell them that last time I did the trick the carpet flew up and hit someone in the eye so it would be better if they where these protective glasses. ;)

Sure they realize what is going on when i do the trick but I still like to have fun with it.
I guess what I like about it is that is is just entertaining and something a little different than the usual magic tricks.

Bob I'll have to try your tips for making it work next time someone doesn't see it. i'm just wondering what it is that creates the problem for them seeing it.

I definitely have to pick up some more glasses as well. Mine are getting kind of worn. It seems little kids like to smoosh the glasses against their face thereby bending the cardboard and plastic.
Amazon has them at $15 for a pack of 10.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:55 pm

I imagine Lubor Fiedler has a giant version of this as his living room rug, and a screen made of the material in the glasses, coating the glass on a sliding door into the room so as you come in for tea he's like 'oh hello just having a float' :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 pm

I don't own it, but gas anyone tried it with an animal or a baby, something sleepy like a turtle or a kitten, as a tabletop trick?
Now you see me...

Shan

Post by Shan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 pm

My friends love it .... I tell them it's more of an optical illusion
One time a friend jumped up and down not believe her own eyes when I stepped onto the floating carpet!!!
I really like how this particular tenyo can amaze many people even though they know I'm not really floating

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 am

SimonC wrote:I don't own it, but gas anyone tried it with an animal or a baby, something sleepy like a turtle or a kitten, as a tabletop trick?
Ali Baba Your Wish is My Command!

How is it that I can see the effect on video even though I am not wearing the glasses?

Is it because they are filming through a lens of the glasses?

If that is the case then it might be cool to try and video it straight away without the glasses and then people can view the video, not see the effect, but then put on the glasses and then see it. Just thinking out loud.