T-230 Mystic Scope

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please rate T-230 Mystic Scope

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
No votes
08 Excellent
18%
07 Very Good
36%
06 Pretty Good
18%
05 Good
18%
04 OK
9%
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 11

JohnM
Site Admin

T-230 Mystic Scope

Post by JohnM » Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 am

Name: Mystic Scope

T-Number: T-230

Inventor: Tomoyuki Shimomura

Year: 2007

JohnM
Site Admin

PICTURES of T-230 Mystic Scope

Post by JohnM » Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 am

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: T-230 Mystic Scope

Post by SimonC » Mon May 05, 2014 3:35 am

This trick divides me. I love the 'kit' nature of it and the construction of all the props is great so I'm happy to own it. However it's not sure if it's an illusion or a trick, it sits in the parlour trick/curiosity area for me. It's a trick that comes out when I'm showing people the contents of my magic cabinet, but it never leaves the house in my pocket if that makes sense.
It's a great use of the materials required for the effect, and an improvement on hyper vision in terms of performance. Personally I would have kept the esp symbols for mystic scope over the miniature playing cards.
The whole thing looks really cool tho, very nicely packaged
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 am

SimonC wrote:... and an improvement on hyper vision in terms of performance.
Totally agree with Simon. The other good thing, the props is examinable comparing to Hyper Vision. In my opinion : the routine could be improved for the hypnotize experiment, that the spectator feel being hypnotized instead of looking of an optical illusion. Well I haven`t tried it yet. :)

Victor

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon May 05, 2014 5:35 am

ooh, I wonder if there's a way of incorporating the 'material' into a normal kaleidoscope, so rather than one card clearly standing out, it would appear to stand out through the patterns and be much more mysterious. kind of like the tv trick where a magician flicks through the deck and asks if one stood out.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon May 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Mystic Scope is a great trick. Simon and Victor actually said everything what there is to be said about it so I'm not going to repeat :)
I really like Victor's idea of using this one as a 'hypnotizing' experiment - while hypnotizing one of your spectators casually dislodge the gimmick and hand it over, let spec see and then take it back, lock gimmick and give the scope to someone else - I believe that's what your idea was Victor?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon May 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Great idea really! Mystifying. I like the props too! These cute little cards!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 pm

David DeTenyo wrote: I really like Victor's idea of using this one as a 'hypnotizing' experiment - while hypnotizing one of your spectators casually dislodge the gimmick and hand it over, let spec see and then take it back, lock gimmick and give the scope to someone else - I believe that's what your idea was Victor?
Exactly my friend ;) If you perform it well, I`m afraid you can drive people crazy by experimenting this. :D

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu May 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Quick question, as I just watched the. Idea and I'm now interested in one: can you make your own cards? Or are they gimmicked?
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu May 21, 2015 1:52 pm

you can make your own mate.
you've just given me an idea..
I'm going to make four miniature wooden frames to use with the special something's from mystic scope and print four Victorian portraits off to use with the mystic scope, making it a seance scope. I could make a nice wooden stand for the frames too. the scope looks like an old style viewfinder and the decoration o the scope itself fits in with the idea.
ooh the cogs are turning now, watch this space....
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Watching this space Simon,love Mystic scope and your cards idea :D

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu May 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Oh man! And you just finished up The Broken Compass too! Glad that I sparked an idea, but man you're going to run yourself ragged!

Are you going to rebuild the scope as well? Initially, I thought it would look neat with a bit of a steampunk-ish look to it...or maybe a sextant.

Then I reread that you want to have a seance routine for it. I'm not sure HOW that would look or go from where I'm sitting.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri May 22, 2015 2:10 am

Really interesting Simon, making this an old sceanse effect, which makes total sense, is a great idea. Having an Ouija Board, your Mystic Scope item, some magicians force incorporated, a prediction chest, perhaps The Third Eye made to look something old too, ... this would make a complete self working routine with LOADS of spectators involvement, ... ok, my brains are going in overload!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri May 22, 2015 3:31 am

Hyper vision works with it too don't forget ;)
What I have in mind is a murder mystery called "I know who killed me".
You could easily adapt it to be called "A Night at the Opera" and use the "Haunted opera glasses" from hyper vision :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 am

Ok chaps and chapess, here I my final working version of my add-on for Mystic scope called
"The Silent Witness".
I have spent the last week working on the graphics, layout and routine and have finally arrived at a finished item. As with my voodoo puzzle I have been focussing on the graphic elements closely and am really happy with the final result. I will make a video of the effect this evening. As there are several elements to this effect, I won't be making a batch, but will be happy to make them to order. I will work out a price today and post all the information when I put the video up. As I am making two tricks this month, I will combine the shipping cost if anyone decides they would like both.
Here's a sneak peek...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:25 am

I like the vintage look of it, a classical murder mystery, the pictures remind me of JohnM's Black Box with similar old pics including Bess! :)
I'm in, I am addicted to your creations from the very beginning! :)

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:21 am

Another winner!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Looks very good Simon! I like the fact the scope itself now looks like wood. Am I correct if I say a buyer will need a Mystic Scope and you provide the wooden parts to make it look (a lot) better?
Did you make the special 'lenzes' (I don't know the correct word) in the frames?

Oh and green felt ... love it, makes it look so classy!

Apologies, I was editing my post when you wrote your answer :oops:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Yes David, this is an add on for mystic scope so you will need the original trick. In my experience I loved the effect but rarely performed it, with this I've been looking for people to perform it on, I've already performed it loads more tha. I ever did the original. It gives the trick a story and context to hopefully make it more performable.
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:28 am

Really beautifully made Simon... what great piece of art....everything looks perfect !!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 am

That's a helluva job! I think it's awesome that you incorporate these brilliant routines to the work you do. Absolutely brilliant.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:38 am

Thank you very much. Brett you flicked a domino over asking if you can use your own cards in Mystic Scope!

Here is the video, what you see is one outcome performed on my wife. I asked her to make free choices and the end result came out as you see it. Needless to say there are 16 possible outcomes, all slightly different. I have also developed a second set of some of the items which will allow you to perform a slightly more specific revelation at the end which will be included with the set. But they will remain a secret ;)
I will also try and do a Hangout with John at some point to talk through the props in a little more detail.

So here is "The Silent Witness"
https://youtu.be/cFVcnC2lOf0

I will be making these to order and they will be £102 GBP which includes postage anywhere in this life and the next.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:11 am

I can only say: very impressive Simon! You changed a toy-ish trick into a thrilling experience, fun to perform, shivering for the spectator! Did I already tell you I'm in?

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:32 am

Put me down for one please Simon :D

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Just one more question Simon, the reveal of the used kill method, I suppose you use équivoque?