T-118 Sidetrack

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-118 Sidetrack

10 One of the Best
44%
09 Superior
13%
08 Excellent
25%
07 Very Good
19%
06 Pretty Good
No votes
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 16

JohnM
Site Admin

T-118 Sidetrack

Post by JohnM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Name: Sidetrack

T-Number: T-118

Inventor: Hiroshi Kondo

Year: 1984

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: T-118 Sidetrack

Post by JohnM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 am

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 am

Superb Trick,one of my all time faves! so so clever!.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:31 pm

I personally didn`t own this trick because it is now becoming one of the Tenyo rare items but looking at the patent and all the principals, I should say it was an awesome Idea from Mr. Kondo and so clever made.

At the first I`m looking at this trick I have no idea on how it worked until I get a book Magic Show from Mark Satteducati. The Side Track in Mark`s Version is similar but he added Anne`s pics as the zig zag lady. After playing around with Mark`s book,this is the last trick that I still had no idea on how it worked, it really fooled me and drove me crazy until I realized the real method after playing with it few times. Even the paper engineering is so clever. I would say Side Track is one of the excellent trick ever created. Here are some snapshots from another version of Side Track : The Misplaced Middle. Hope you enjoy it guys.

To all of you who have opportunity to find this book, grab it and buy it ! So far I know, this is only the book that do a magic for you. (The book itself is the magician, not you who perform the trick in the book)

Cheers,
Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Victor, I am the happy owner of this book, just saw it a few years ago in an American Bookshop in Amsterdam and bought it luckily. I cherish this book, really!

I remade Sidetrack, made a small and a large version. See a video on my channel. In the meantime, after having performed it several times, the small version finally didn't work anymore, the gimmick got stuck, had to throw it away. My bigger version is still intact. I want to make a very complicated version now with a combination of Mobile illusion and Sidetrack, but... too complicated isn't a good idea I believe.

Victor, you could make a Sidetrack yourself, you are a handyman, aren't yo? Saves you a lot of money :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:16 am

Sidetrack is diabolical clever, I love that trick. But it is not really sturdy made, make one mistake and it will be ruined. Also, the clear plastic and black gimmick show some traces of 'moving' after performing it a lot. That's why I actually never perform it. Would love to have a spare though ... .

As far as routines go I really can't say aynthing about it. A 'cutting in half' routine with for example Mobile Illusion could be an idea.

I really need that book by the way - I see it is still for sale. Heard nothing but good things about it :) I once saw a viedo of Mark Setteducati himself promoting and showing a few tricks from the book but can't fint it anymore ... .
In any case here is Mr. Setteducati youtube channel with a few tricks most of us know or own: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkSetteducatti

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:22 am

Rob Rand wrote: I remade Sidetrack, made a small and a large version. See a video on my channel. In the meantime, after having performed it several times, the small version finally didn't work anymore, the gimmick got stuck, had to throw it away. My bigger version is still intact. I want to make a very complicated version now with a combination of Mobile illusion and Sidetrack, but... too complicated isn't a good idea I believe.

Victor, you could make a Sidetrack yourself, you are a handyman, aren't yo? Saves you a lot of money :)
I saw your video Rob, cool that you made it and it works properly too ;) I need to think about right material to make it for myself Rob. The gimmick is so sensitive and we need to find the right material to prevent it from stuck. It looks simple but all measuring and cuts need to be very precise, so the gimmick can move smoothly.
Well....I`ll think about it. ;)

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Roberto,

Can you add the video of the ZigZag lady to this thread? It is such a nice version of Sidetrack, I was trying to find it and thought that this would be a great place to put the video.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 am

John B. wrote:Roberto,

Can you add the video of the ZigZag lady to this thread? It is such a nice version of Sidetrack, I was trying to find it and thought that this would be a great place to put the video.
I already recorded a video of it.......haven't edited yet.

I think this Zig Zag Lady (Misplaced Middle) is even more baffling than the original SideTrack, because of the following reasons:

_ is thinner
_ you don't have the scratch problem thanks to the mat window.
_ and in my opinion the fact that you zig zag no only the card but also part of the yellow frame make it more puzzling.

Regarding the SideTrack....I was thinking....what if the gimmick part is flexible??......you could bend it to the back of the frame eliminating the suspicious open cover....it could be spring loaded to be able to restore de card the middle card section to it's original position.....complicated but still doable.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:48 am

David DeTenyo wrote: I really need that book by the way - I see it is still for sale. Heard nothing but good things about it :) I once saw a viedo of Mark Setteducati himself promoting and showing a few tricks from the book but can't fint it anymore ... .
In any case here is Mr. Setteducati youtube channel with a few tricks most of us know or own: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkSetteducatti
David, I found the German translation version with title "Zaubershow" when I was in Berlin years ago and you know what, the books was stacked in the discounted area and what made me happy, it cost only 5 EUR/book. Unfortunately I have now only 1 copy or the german and english version. It is another thing that I regret :( My original english one was not in a good condition because of termite attack due to the humidity. But I manage to safe and repair the damaged part by myself.

Please try amazon.com...they have also some second hand dealer who sell the books :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

you need to be selective to find a 4 or 5 stars good dealer, even some dealer sell it starting for 0,49 USD and still in a very good condition. The delivery will cost more than the book itself, but you will have almost "nothing" to lose right ?

Good luck !

Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions and info Victore. Yes, I will try on Amazon.

A flexible gimmick is a good idea Roberto, and the right material should exist. It could withstand a small angle (let's say 90°) but I'm not sure the material could be bent 180°. I'm thinking about the material used for the cards in Puzzling Queen or even better Illusionarium/Transpavision. They are a special kind of plastic I believe.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:53 am

:idea: :idea: Yes Roberto, I was also thinking of using flexible material for Sidetrack, I have a toy iPhone smartphone with Bert and Ernie on it with a 'scroll' function see picture
_20140126_195159.JPG
with very flexible material a bit like aluminum foil.
That would be ideal for a Sidetrack without the cover.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am

That is exactly what I mean.......probably some fabric.....or velvet??

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Maybe silk?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:44 am

Yes, you can print on fabric I think, but the colors should be exactly the same as on the card of course. Also, a not-so-transparant window as in the book might help :)

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 am

Managed to find a copy of Magic Show by Mark Setteducati in excellent condition from a book seller
for £1.66p.Excellent book
Pete :D

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 am

Pete1805 wrote:Managed to find a copy of Magic Show by Mark Setteducati in excellent condition from a book seller
Congratulations Pete. For that price, it was really a lucky gift. If you find more of them, it will become a perfect gift for others too ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Pete1805 wrote:Managed to find a copy of Magic Show by Mark Setteducati in excellent condition from a book seller
Does he have more? :o

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

how crazy, mine arrived today too! I got it on eBay, used but in good condition for 4.99, bargain!!
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
Does he have more? :o
Think i had the last one

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Ah I see now ... you guys bought is second hand :) I've been tempted to do the same but I'm a bit worried that not all the tricks and gimmicks still work ... . Is the book sturdy constructed?

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:32 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Yes, you can print on fabric I think, but the colors should be exactly the same as on the card of course. Also, a not-so-transparant window as in the book might help :)
David with the fabric you just need to match the background of the the frame......so you just need black fabric.
By the other side the middle section of the card that you take out doesn't have to be fabric....this part can be rigid.
I think this could be another project for the friends of Magic Wagon....they did something similar in the past.....don't remember the name....it was a frame that visually changed a card when you where putting it in or you where taking it out.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Ah I see now ... you guys bought is second hand :) I've been tempted to do the same but I'm a bit worried that not all the tricks and gimmicks still work ... . Is the book sturdy constructed?
Mine is excellent and all the bits are there :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:12 pm

ditto, it's amazing, there are tricks in there that genuinely baffled me (at first ;)) a truly interactive book, GET ONE!!
Now you see me...