T-173 Eye of the Idol

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-173 Eye of the Idol

10 One of the Best
50%
09 Superior
17%
08 Excellent
21%
07 Very Good
13%
06 Pretty Good
No votes
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 24

JohnM
Site Admin

T-173 Eye of the Idol

Post by JohnM » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:40 am

Name: Eye of the Idol

T-Number: T-173

Inventor: Tomoyuki Shimomura

Year: 1995

JohnM
Site Admin

PICTURES of T-173 Eye of the Idol

Post by JohnM » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

JohnM
Site Admin

VIDEO of T-173 Eye of the Idol

Post by JohnM » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

VictorS

Re: T-173 Eye of the Idol

Post by VictorS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 am

I own this trick already for over than 10 years...but until today I still remember the feeling to be astonished by the principal at the 1st time I met EOTI. Felt also extremely happy and said to myself : WOHOOO...Finally I had a very cool magic prop using a "Remote Control" !!! :D Whoops :? ...did I reveal the secret... ?? Hope not :)

MerlinsMagicShopMike

Post by MerlinsMagicShopMike » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:42 pm

This is one of my favorite Tenyos to perform, because everyone is always amazed at seeing it. When I have friends over and show them several tricks its always this one that they ask for, "show us that Easter Island trick that you showed me the last time". There are many Tenyos that are clever but this one is a real fooler and people seem drawn to it and I think it has a lot to do with the coolness factor if you will, the colorful little gems and neat little storage case for them. It by its very nature is the heart and soul of what Tenyo is all about in my honest opinion, looks like a toy but fools people with the best of them!

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:09 pm

I would like to see what the gimmick looks like (and the arrangement of the *******).

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:47 am

John B. wrote:I would like to see what the gimmick looks like (and the arrangement of the *******).
John B, I believe we can open the statue in order to see the content and contruction without damage it, I tried it once. But not the "remote control" it was permanently sealed from factory unfortunately. The cool part of the statue that it has locking mechanism to prevent it to rotate and all parts could be separately examined by spectator.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 am

This is indeed a fantastic item. So clever, so well made and looks great too.

The only problem I had was not making the statue move when you put it on the platform with the box in place.

What I do is:
- the surface where I perform on is marked. This is done in advance of course. This makes it difficult to perform it outside my house.
- I take the platform (place it on first marked spot) and Idol (locked). I place idol (unlocked, I never lock it in advance) on the platform and turn it a few times. I ask the spectator in which direction he wants me to turn it and then hide it with the cover.
- I take the box with the gemstones out of my pocket and let the spectator place them on the platform. The box is placed on the second marked spot on table, close-up mat, ... .
- Then I do the trick, several times.
- In the end I lock the statue and let the spectator try, although I often skip this last phase.

The 'original' performance as in the video above is better, but like I said, I have once had someone see the statue move a tiny bit when I placed it on the platform. He grabbed and turned it (I know, lousy audience management!) but of course it would alsways point in the same direction. Perhaps since then I have been paranoid so from that day I used my own routine.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 am

This was on my wish list for a long time and when one finally came up at a time when I could afford it (the stars aligned) I looked on the eBay listing and it was in the SAME TOWN as me, literally ten minutes away, out of all the places it could have been. Makes it much easier to part with your money when it feels like the universe wants you to.
This is the closest thing to real magic I have, much like the nut and bolt I posted earlier this week, I feel like a wizard as I'm making things move with the power of my mind (technically I am, my mind is telling me to move the jewel case at least ;))
Awesome props, cracking effect, and real magic! (Or as David would know it as, science ;))
My only issue is my idol is a bit tricky to lock, I had a knock off one ages ago and had the same problem.
Watch this space for the FSO exclusive EOTI performance plate, coming soon!
Now you see me...

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:11 pm

I don't have yet the original EOTI, got only the rubbish chinese knock off ( :evil: so bad :evil: )
May i know if the genuine EOTI works perfectly :?:

don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:27 pm

On our weekly chat John and I came up with a cool idea...
A Godzilla themed eye of the idol, with a miniature Godzilla instead of the idol and miniature buildings instead of gems.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:37 am

It works great Jaime, but the set up is important. I also had the Chinese version, threw it away long ago ... absolute rubbish.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:57 am

Someone threw away mine for me, a cleaner at my old job. I'd put it in a plain box. I was gutted but it meant I bought my proper blue box version.
I wonder if the big book will include info on the super rare grey jewel case...
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:19 am

I skipped the Chinese version of this. Based on my other experiences with China Magic I knew that there was no way it was going to work right.
I like the Godzilla idea. It would be great if you can have it "breath fire" and knock over the building after you lift the cover :)
Also what shape would you make the jewel case? Perhaps a nuclear power plant?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am

Elliot W. wrote:I skipped the Chinese version of this. Based on my other experiences with China Magic I knew that there was no way it was going to work right.
I like the Godzilla idea. It would be great if you can have it "breath fire" and knock over the building after you lift the cover :)
Also what shape would you make the jewel case? Perhaps a nuclear power plant?
Nuclear Power Plant. I like that.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am

Yes!
Now you see me...

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:19 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:It works great Jaime, but the set up is important. I also had the Chinese version, threw it away long ago ... absolute rubbish.
Thanks a lot David :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

justme-Rick

Post by justme-Rick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:31 pm

The first time I saw this trick on You Tube I knew I would get one day and about a month ago I did get it. New in it's blue packaging. The box shows shelf wear and some fading and I have to honest, it will stay that way. In the box and new, I haven't got the heart to use it. I just had to have it......

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Use it you will not hurt it. It is one of those tricks that you can play with without ruining the package.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:59 am

Question: Does anyone else find that placement corrections need to be made?
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:02 am

It does but you've reminded me of what I was going to make last year, an EOTI performance plate :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:13 am

Hi again everyone,

I would like to share with you something special. I have already this concept in my mind about 1 year ago for this routine and finally, I glad to share it with you. Tenyo`s Eye of the Idol (EOTI) become one of the rare and collectible Tenyo classic nowadays and no doubt that Mr. Tomoyuki Shimomura was the clever mind behind the EOTI. Many collectors tried to redesign the prop and came up with many great variation of prop decorations. In my routine, I use a very cool pedestal created by Simon Craze a.k.a Jenzoharmonicswhich I found very supportive on this routine. In addition, I borrowed a cool toy belongs to my son, Wayne, the Da Vinci`s Drawmaton created by Robert Sabuda produced by Robotime. It was his birthday present last year :) I redesigned little bit the prop, so it matches to the theme. I put all together in the routine and I hope you will enjoy the presentation and the story. Have a good day everyone !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIPof9Znn8

Cheers,
Victor

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 pm

VictorS wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:13 am
I hope you will enjoy the presentation and the story. Have a good day everyone !

Victor ⭐️ I have enjoyed it very very much 👍

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:22 am

And to make everybody crazy, there is an amazing new super-de-luxe wooden exotic version of EOTI for sale now at Dynamitemagic:

https://www.dynamitemagic.nl/product/aj ... -6076-q11/
00781B63-A46A-4570-AF3B-481FDE4F5D77.jpeg
Woohaa!

Only 275 euro! :o

Something for … you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:31 pm

Extra information about AJNA, Eye of the Buddha:

It is made by Cahyo from Indonesia.

Also for sale at Ronjo.

See link:

https://www.ronjo.com/ajna-eye-of-the-b ... cahyo.html