New Features Added to Sister Website

Please post here feedback, recommendations, questions, requests, technical problems, etc. I will use this area to post information about how to best use the forum.
JohnM
Site Admin

New Features Added to Sister Website

Post by JohnM » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:26 pm

I have added some new features to the sister website.

One is a Trick Name Translation page. You can see it and read all about it here.

The other is a Map of Visitors where you can see who is visiting the website by location in the world. This is for the website only, I am looking for something similar for the Forum which is a different platform (phpbb) than the website (WordPress). You can customize the information and maps, so take a look and see if you can see yourself and our other members. Also this will give you a good idea where the Tenyophiles are. You will see the majority of the visitors are in the US and Central Europe with just a small amount of Asian visitors around the edges of Asia. Hopefully the lost in translation page will add more Asian visitors.

Additionally I have been looking at existing pages and sprucing them up. Still a lot of that to do.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: New Features Added to Sister Website

Post by SimonC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 am

That map is so cool, it's amazing how spread out we all are, good old internet :) thanks John :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks for all your hard works John....highly appreciate that !!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:55 am

Those are fantastic feautures - the translation is so incredibly usefull!

We have a Tenyo collector in Bahrain and Pakistan it seems! :)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:31 am

Very nice additions. ;)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Thank you John, for the amazing additions.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm

You guys are welcome. I am glad you find them interesting/useful.

Thanks to research done by Richard W. we now have a Visitor Map for the forum at the bottom of the page.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Cool! Nicely done John!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:37 pm

I can see myself tilting....... :geek: ....very nice!!!!

John....this shows you members and non members?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:41 am

Roberto B. wrote:I can see myself tilting....... :geek: ....very nice!!!!

John....this shows you members and non members?
Yes the map on this forum shows members and guests. The solid green dots are people who visited and the flashing dots are recent visitors.

The map on the website shows guests (there is no membership on the website, at least for now) in red and bots in blue. The blue dot in the upper left corner of the US is the MSN Bot (out of Washington State, the home of Microsoft) reading the site.

The map on the website is more powerful as it shows me a lot more information like how the person arrived at the forum, what the last page they visited was as well as the IP Address. I can also ban an IP Address using the map on the website for instance. if I see a lot of activity (maybe someone copying content) I can put them in "time out."

The map on the forum uses Flash so you will not see it if using an iPad because it does not support Flash.

On the website I currently have two maps at the bottom. The one on the right is the same as the one installed here.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 am

Looks like it is working well now. Glad to help getting on it the forum. More eye candy makes it more fun. Good job tweaking it so quickly to make it work. Looks great, fun to play with the spinning globe. :D

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:49 am

This is so much fun! Would the Magic Wagon guys (Bangkok - Thailand) take a look now and then ... ? I believe they do actually :)

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 am

Excellent work John and thanks for the great effort you have added. I'm happy to see the whole World just inside of FSO forum :D

As i have noticed more or less there are only 10 members who are consistently active(as of now and thanks to them) but shocking to know that almost 300 visitors viewed this site for the last 7 days and probably have read some of the threads...awesome :!:

For the ''Map of Visitors'' there are two color dots, What does the color represents :?:
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:52 am

Jaime C. wrote:As i have noticed more or less there are only 10 members who are consistently active(as of now and thanks to them)
We have 20 members of the forum who visit every day and I would agree that about 10 of us create most of the content and posts. I wish some of the other members would post more. I revised the requirements for Full Membership (http://funstuffonly.com/tenyoforum/view ... ?f=2&t=798) and now it takes 10 quality posts to get the Full Membership and access to the Member Only Sections. I also posted that Full Members need to continue to post to maintain their status (http://funstuffonly.com/tenyoforum/view ... 7813#p7813). So hopefully some others will get involved and make this forum even better. The key is quality posts and not any specific quantity of posts. The recent picture intensive posts by Siusiuc and Victor were fantastic and enough to carry them for a year although I am sure they both will post more. There are some exciting things coming, especially for the website and I might limit access in the future to the forum and the website. So I suggest getting "on board" if you like what we are doing and want to be able to continue to access the content. One last note is that the Advisory Board has discussed making this forum private, which can be done with one click. One plan is to go private and open it up to the public twice a year for a month to let people see it and to get new members.
Jaime C. wrote:but shocking to know that almost 300 visitors viewed this site for the last 7 days and probably have read some of the threads...awesome :!:

The approximate 300 visitors per week is for the website not the forum. The map on the website is more powerful and shows more information plus it has been running for a couple of weeks where I just installed the map here today.
Jaime C. wrote:For the ''Map of Visitors'' there are two color dots, What does the color represents :?:
On the website map, the red dot represents a guest and the blue represents a bot.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Dear John,

The cross reference list you made is awesome! Thank you for doing that. I have noticed that some of the Japanese names are missing from the list of Japanese-English page you created. Although I do not speak Japanese, I have a Japanese Astro Coin right now and I was able to find the matching characters from the package. So The Japanese name for that one is this: アストロ コイン And the name means the same: Astro coin according to google translate.

After successfully doing that I started to check for pictures of other Japanese packages and try to find the matching characters.

Psychic money: サイキックマネー (i think it means the same)
Illusion truck: イリュージョントラック (it means the same in Japanese)
astro coin: アストロ コイン (it means the same in Japanese)
syncro boxes: シンクロボックス (syncro box)
Animation frame: 魔法のフレーム ピノキオ (It means something like that: Pinocchio magic frame)
Magical door: マジカルドア (i think it means the same)
Image generator: On the Japanese package there are two titles the bigger title is this: 予言のシャツ
And below that smaller this: イメージジェネレーター (The fist one means Shirt of prophecy, the other one Image Generator)
Geometrick: エッシャーの穴 (Hole of Escher)

Those are the ones I could do until now. I hope I could help expanding the list. I think all the Japanese characters are correct. But it would might be good to check the translations because I just used google translte for those.

I hope I could help a little bit to complete the list.

Botond

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:41 pm

I just realised, that I basically could just check the official Japanese Tenyo site for the missing Japanese names.

http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic/library/index.html

So it seems that there is a much easier way to do this than what I did. Anyway it was nice to refresh my memories of the Japanese alphabet. (I tried to lean Japanese few years ago - mostly because my obsession with Tenyo, but I gave up the course after one semester because after months of practice I sill was not able to write all the letters of the hiragana correctly.)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:28 pm

JohnM, what a great idea of the worldmap of visitors to be seen! It reminds me of the magic map that Harry Potter used at Hogwarts, where he could trace people walking around, and even saw who they are. Was that map not in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, and was used in the next HP books? I read them all, really loved it!
Great to see these glowing points! Yes, Amsterdam is present too, that must be me! :)

And 11 visitors from Thailand!! Magic Wagon Magic Wagon!!!

Big Mazza is watching you :lol:

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:26 pm

kellebotond wrote:Dear John,

The cross reference list you made is awesome! Thank you for doing that. I have noticed that some of the Japanese names are missing from the list of Japanese-English page you created. Although I do not speak Japanese, I have a Japanese Astro Coin right now and I was able to find the matching characters from the package. So The Japanese name for that one is this: アストロ コイン And the name means the same: Astro coin according to google translate.

After successfully doing that I started to check for pictures of other Japanese packages and try to find the matching characters.

Psychic money: サイキックマネー (i think it means the same)
Illusion truck: イリュージョントラック (it means the same in Japanese)
astro coin: アストロ コイン (it means the same in Japanese)
syncro boxes: シンクロボックス (syncro box)
Animation frame: 魔法のフレーム ピノキオ (It means something like that: Pinocchio magic frame)
Magical door: マジカルドア (i think it means the same)
Image generator: On the Japanese package there are two titles the bigger title is this: 予言のシャツ
And below that smaller this: イメージジェネレーター (The fist one means Shirt of prophecy, the other one Image Generator)
Geometrick: エッシャーの穴 (Hole of Escher)

Those are the ones I could do until now. I hope I could help expanding the list. I think all the Japanese characters are correct. But it would might be good to check the translations because I just used google translte for those.

I hope I could help a little bit to complete the list.

Botond
Botond,

Thanks for your hard work. I have had a big problem with creating the Translation page, that why it is incomplete.

For some reason, when I go to update the page to the server in WordPress, the server often freezes and the changes do not go through. I am pretty sure it is triggering a security flag back at my hosting provider which is Go Daddy (big here in the US). I think it is a combination of all of the hyperlinks and the Japanese characters. Maybe it thinks it is some kind of spam. When it freezes, it blocks me for about 1 minute from accessing anything on funstuffonly.com including this forum and the html pages that make up my hobby site. I spent many hours on the phone with Go Daddy and they claim the problem is mine even though I only get this error with the Translation page and more than WordPress are locking up.

So to create the translation page I had to do it 2 tricks at a time and cross my fingers. Sometimes the update went through and sometimes it locked up. I slowly built up the page, but now I am at the point that it will not take any more additional lines. Very frustrating. The page took many days to get it to where it is, but I was determined to get this page up there as I think it is important.

My plan is to leave it as is for now and revisit it at a later date when maybe something will change and I can update the page normally.

I do keep a text file with all the lines and I will store your hard work in there for now. The way you looked up the names is very clever. How the heck did you match up the Japanese characters on the box to ones on your computer?

I know all of the Japanese characters on the page as it exists now are correct because they come directly from the official Japanese Tenyo site.

Here is the code that I have left to add. The commas separates the fields in the table:

T-36,Billiard Balls,シカゴの四ツ玉,Four Star Ball of Chicago,,

T-31,Milk Tumbler,消えるミルク,Milk Disappear,,

T-30,Twin Flower,,,,

T-29,Changing Silks,チェンジングハンカチーフ,Changing Handkerchief,,

T-28,What's Next?,残念でした,Were Sorry,,

T-27,Chinese Sticks,チャイニーズステッキ,Chinese stick,,

T-26,Glass Board,,,,

T-25,Silk Serenade,シルクセレナーデ,Silk Serenade,,Pavel

T-24,Crystal Tube,クリスタルチューブ,Crystal Tube,,

T-23,Rainbow Silks,,,,

T-22,Time-capsule,,,,

T-21,Dyeing Paper,,,,

T-20,Cubio,,,,

T-19,Match and Flower,,,,

T-18,Million Flower,,,,

T-17,Coin Through Match,,,,

T-16,Mystic Ruby,,,,

T-15,Cups and Balls,悟空の玉,Goku,,

T-14,Chameleon Silk,変色ハンカチーフ,Discoloration Handkerchief,,

T-13,Kings and Aces,,,,

T-12,Coin Fan,マジカルセンス,Magical Sense,,

T-11,Color Change Flower,,,,

T-10,Silk From Hanky,ハンカチーフマジック,Handkerchief Magic,,

T-009,Funny Dog,,,,

T-008,Trio Cigarette,,,,

T-007,An-Gra,,,,

T-006,In the News,ふしぎな新聞紙,Mysterious Newspaper,,

T-005,Arabian Card,,,,

T-004,Dice Vision,,,,

T-003,Diminishing Cards,小さくなるトランプ,Smaller Trump,,

T-002,Angel's Coin,,,,

T-001,Thimble,本シンブル,Thimble,,

I just tried to add one line of code and it locked me out again. I think the page is done at least for now. :x

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 pm

kellebotond wrote:I just realised, that I basically could just check the official Japanese Tenyo site for the missing Japanese names.

http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic/library/index.html

So it seems that there is a much easier way to do this than what I did. Anyway it was nice to refresh my memories of the Japanese alphabet. (I tried to lean Japanese few years ago - mostly because my obsession with Tenyo, but I gave up the course after one semester because after months of practice I sill was not able to write all the letters of the hiragana correctly.)
No, the ones that are missing from my page are not on the Japanese Tenyo website so you did not waste your time. Thanks again for your help.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Rob Rand wrote:JohnM, what a great idea of the worldmap of visitors to be seen! It reminds me of the magic map that Harry Potter used at Hogwarts, where he could trace people walking around, and even saw who they are. Was that map not in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, and was used in the next HP books? I read them all, really loved it!
Great to see these glowing points! Yes, Amsterdam is present too, that must be me! :)

And 11 visitors from Thailand!! Magic Wagon Magic Wagon!!!

Big Mazza is watching you :lol:
The 11 for Thailand is not unique visitors but probably the same visitor checking out the site on 11 occasions.

Quite embarrassing is the visitor form Flemington, NJ (me) visiting over 60 times. Get a life Mazza. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:18 am

I wouldn't worry john, I check the forum on my ipad/iPhone constantly, and, I'm not proud to say, regularly at work during lessons. Its very addictive :S
Don't we have a birthday coming up?...
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:38 am

SimonC wrote:I wouldn't worry john, I check the forum on my ipad/iPhone constantly, and, I'm not proud to say, regularly at work during lessons. Its very addictive :S
Don't we have a birthday coming up?...
When I finish my plans for the website, it will be very addicting place to visit as well.

This upcoming Thursday is the one year anniversary of this forum.

This forum would not exists if a young fellow with the user name of Jenzo Harmonics didn't stumble into the Tenyo section of the Magic Cafe only to be called "Mazza" and then permanently banned.

My foes can't seem to comprehend that the bannings and the attacks have been a great motivation for me. If you look at the start date of Planet Tenyo, it will coincide with another unfair attack by two of my biggest foes. This was the worst attack against me to date and just like the Jenzo Harmonics banning above, this attack put me into action the next day. Now the results will greatly effect my foe's Tenyo projects which is a nice case of justice being served. Maybe someday they will learn to ignore me as I have learned to ignore them. :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:06 am

ahh a day that will live on in infamy, the sort of thing that can only happen on the internet. imagine being on holiday and walking into a pretentious coffee shop and saying 'hello there, id like a latt-..' and having a load of stools thrown at you and chased down the road. then, at end of said road is neon sign that says 'Mazza's', you walk into a friendly bar (think cheers) and order a frosty beer and have a good, friendly chat with the barman. pretty corny really but if the cafe is a cafe this place is definitely a bar. here's to our first birthday, it's unbelievable it's only been (almost) a year, I've made some great friends and had a great laugh.
cheers!
Now you see me...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Some more missing Japanese names from the list:

T-30,Twin Flower: ツインフラワー (means the same)

T-26,Glass Board: グラスボード (means the same)

T-23,Rainbow Silks: レインボーハンカチーフ (Rainbow handkerchief)

T-22,Time-capsule: タイムカプセル (means the same)

T-21,Dyeing Paper: ダイニングペーパー (Dining paper ? according to google translate)

T-20,Cubio: ひもとダイス(ストップダイス)(Means: Seat of the fire die (dice stop) )

T-19,Match and Flower: マッチと花 (Flower and Match)

T-18,Million Flower: ミリオンフラワー (means the same)

T-17,Coin Through Match: コインとマッチ (Match the coin)

T-16,Mystic Ruby: ふしぎなルビー (Mysterious Ruby)

T-13,Kings and Aces: キング&エース (King & Ace)

T-11,Color Change Flower: 小さい花 (Small flower)

T-009,Funny Dog: ふしぎな犬 (Mysterious dog)

T-008,Trio Cigarette, 火のついたタバコ (Lit cigarette)

T-007,An-Gra: ふしぎなコーラ (Mysterious Cola)

T-005,Arabian Card: アラビアンカード (means the same)

T-004,Dice Vision: ダイスボックス (means the same)

T-002,Angel's Coin: 貨幣の隠現 (Komogen of money according to google translate)

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:09 pm

And here is the rest I could do:

Leather Wild wallet: ワイルドウォレット (Wild Wallet)
Bolted!: 不思議なバインダー (Mysterious binder)
Mirror Mate: 魔法の鏡 (Magic Mirror)
Zig Zag Zig: THEタバコ (THE Tobacco)
Spring Flower: バネ花 (means the same)
See Through Guillotine: シースルーギロチン (means the same)
Space Walking Coin: 飛行するコイン (Coins fly)
Super Vase a la India: ふしぎな壺 (Mysterious pot)
Sponge Rabbit: びっくりウサギ (Surprised rabbit)
Color Fantasy: カラーファンタジー (Color Fantasy)
Occult board: オカルトボード (same)
Magic tube: マジックチューブ (same)
Coin case: コインケース (same)
Astro coin: アストロコイン (same)
Little saving box: コインはどこへ (where coin)
Break-away fan: バラバラセンス (Disjointed sense)
Coin coaster: ふしぎなコースター (Mysterious coaster)
Invisible Man: インビジブルマン (same)
Astro-Tube: マジックライン (Magic line)
Water Suspension: 不落の水 (Water not successful ?)
Against gravity: これが手品 (This is the magic ?)
Coin and glass: コインマジック (Coin Magic)
Sutekina: すてきな手品 (Nice trick - maybe this is not the title but some other text from the packaging)
Milk Tumbler: 消えるミルク (Milk dissapear)
Twin Flower: ツインフラワー (Twin Flower)

There could might be some errors I made, especially in the cases where the translation seems to be odd. I think where google translate gave back more-or less the same result as the English name the japanese characters are surely correct.

For example in case of sutekina I'm sure that those are the characters on the top of the instructions: すてきな手品. But according to google translete this only means: Nice trick. Maybe it is just an advertising thing and on the other side there is the name. Could someone check who has a Japanese version?

http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.hu/2010/05/t-032.html