New Magic Wagon: Monarch Prediction Chest

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

New Magic Wagon: Monarch Prediction Chest

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:55 am

See here: http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=142

I ordered one. I doubted because I don't think the box will be examinable but after some consideration I took the plunge. What I like is that many routines are possible, so it is very versatile.
And for the price I sure hope the box is very cleverly gimmicked :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: New Magic Wagon: Monarch Prediction Chest

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:50 am

Yes I ordered one too.

This should be the ultimate prediction box.

When that's really true, I sell all my other ones :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 am

Wow, that is a lot of money.

I hope it lives up to Magic Wagon's description and is worth the money.

"The method is truly a mechanical marvel"

"The engineering behind this is cleverly designed and many hours of workmanship go into making one of these due to the mechanism involved."

"Each chest is completely handcrafted from natural aged teak wood and takes over 100 hours to build."

100 Hours is a lot of time, that is two and a half work weeks. From all that I read, I am expecting something along the lines of the mechanism in an automata.

I guess we will know is a day or two.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 am

Haha yes, when you read the discription it must be fantastic ... and I hope it is! My package should arrive at my doorstep tommorow :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 pm

100 hours?! That's over four days without sleep!
I'm intrigued
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:56 am

I got an e-mail from the Magic Wagon team a day ago explaining that this trick indeed took around 100 hours to build (they read the posts on this forum). I believe explaining this to us is wonderfull.

I quote
For Monarch Prediction Chest, if we are going to make one unit, it will take around 3 to 4 days to finish and there were three people working on this specific item (they are working around 10 hours a day). Therefore, one unit takes 90 to 120 hours to build. And according to our craftsmen, many hours of workmanship go into making the gimmicked part because they have to make several pieces in order to get only one perfect piece.
So there you have it.

By the way I have gotten my Monarch Prediction Chest yesterdat and am extremely happy with it! The mechanism is a work of art and it can be examined after the effect. You have 9 different outcomes without force, and combined with equivoque or other techniques there are an unlimited number of possibilities. This is a great utility item that opens doors to many routines :)
I'm not really considering this to be a problem, but you WILL need to have a good routine and story so the focus is not on the box for a specific part of the routine (when you do the dirty work), the trick is most suitable for stage or parlor, not really close-up.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:23 am

I received mine too yesterday.

First, I didn't understand the instructions :)
Later, the evening, I watched it again, and then I finally discovered the secret thing. That is a good point of course about the examinability of this chest!

It is a great item, with all the small parts that had to be put together.

But indeed, you must think of a clever routine, to baffle your audience. I will sleep on that.

It is really on of the best Magic Wagons ever in the field of mentalism.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 am

Yesterday I received both the email from Magic Wagon and my Monarch Prediction Chest.

My first impression is that it is very nice and the gimmick is of the style you may have found in the intricate magic tricks that were hand made in the early 1900's. In Genii Magazine there is a monthly feature called Chamber of Secrets (my favorite part of the magazine) that shows off the intricate magic items from John Gaughan's collection. For sure this piece could be mistaken for one of those.

I am satisfied with my purchase, although I will probably never perform it just like the other Magic Wagon items I have. They sit on a cabinet in my living room and sadly I do not perform or play with any of them.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:28 pm

this sounds so cool, it's just out of my league. is anyone planning on making a video?
(btw john I haven't forgotten about the BB vid, just waiting for a volunteer)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:58 pm

First I must think of a great routine, then I can make a video.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:04 am

Making a video will not be easy for this one - it will really have to be a parlor-like environment and you'll wife (or someone else ;) ) will have to participate :)
Looking forward to it anyway!
I'm also planning to make some MW video's (Majestic Routine for example) but I must first find the time to reherse ... sigh - still a LONG way to go untill retirement :| ;) .

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:05 pm

The Magic Wagon contest on the Magic Cafe (in the Secret Sessions section) inspired me to create a presentation for Magic Wagon Monarch Prediction Chest. Unfortunately I cannot participate in the contest.

BUT

You can see what I came up with here. It is fun and colorful and very easy to perform.
http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/buysell/iimas/#mpc

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:43 am

I have owned an Owen, Nelson, and Bob Mason Prediction Chests. They are all precision, well-made products. Is this one compelling enough to be considered a new, and unique principle/method? This Monarch Prediction chest looks fabulous!

JOHN: No need to reply to this post. Sorry, I went right by your routine, (very cool) and your picture shows the chest is such a way that I understand the answer to my question.

Thank you,
Bob
Last edited by BluBob on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 am

Another well thought, well designed routine here Mazza :) how's the chest working out? It certainly looks nice
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:07 am

What a great routine John, thanks a lot for sharing this!

Nitrous_doug

Post by Nitrous_doug » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 am

Rob Rand wrote:I received mine too yesterday.

First, I didn't understand the instructions :)
Later, the evening, I watched it again, and then I finally discovered the secret thing. That is a good point of course about the examinability of this chest!

It is a great item, with all the small parts that had to be put together.

But indeed, you must think of a clever routine, to baffle your audience. I will sleep on that.

It is really on of the best Magic Wagons ever in the field of mentalism.
Hi Rob,

It sounds like an interesting device.
Is it limited to "tubular" ie roll-type productions or can billets be used?
Without ever having seen the prop, I'm guessing that the hasp on the front has a lot to do with the production of the appropriate prediction. Clockwise turn for 4 predictions, counterclockwise for the other 4 with the 9th prediction in the "neutral" position - just speculation, of course :)

Is the action essentially silent when activated? Could this be used in a a parlor setting?
Does gravity play a role here in loading the prediction into the final compartment or is this also part of the "intricate" mechanism?

Doug

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Doug

Yes, the productions need to be tubular, and quite small too.
There is no 'turning' move. The mechanism is actually pretty 'straight forward' ( ;) ), nothing very complex.
It is silent, yes.

I have to admit I recently sold mine - while the effect is great with a good routine in parlor situations (in my opinion you need to move around so the heat is not on your hands the whole time) it just wasn't for me.

Nitrous_doug

Post by Nitrous_doug » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks for the details.
When I read "a true mechanical marvel..." I get excited. I play with mechanical pocket watches and locks. I'm working on a Gerlitz-Stotz prediction watch.

I doubt I'll come across one to examine any time soon so will likely fall back to "not sure how they did it...but this is how I'd do it" thinking.

It was the non electric, purely mechanical aspect of the thing that got me excited.
This is relatively trivial from an electromechanical point of view. Not to take away from the woodworking skills but a wireless link can access an index of predictions (single or multiple) quite efficiently.

Doug

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Doug, yes, the Monarch Prediction Chest is a great piece of craftmanship, but basically it is not the mechanical marvel YOU would expect I'm afraid... You still must manually do something and keep it in your hands. The handling is pretty straighforward.

It is more a "real worker's "prop than a mechanical marvel. But it is extremely well made.

I consider for instance the Final Penetration from Mikame more as a real mechanical marvel.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Rob Rand wrote:Doug, yes, the Monarch Prediction Chest is a great piece of craftmanship, but basically it is not the mechanical marvel YOU would expect I'm afraid... You still must manually do something and keep it in your hands. The handling is pretty straighforward.
Well, i would like to know the working of this nice box ;-)
I have some basic idears, not work out in detail but as i have seen
in your Video, there must be done something in a way that it is not visible,
so i believe this will be work at best in a movment with the box, the not so good
thing about this box seems the limitation to very small objects but all in all cool !