Magic Wagon "Adinkra Necklace"

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
guyjr

Magic Wagon "Adinkra Necklace"

Post by guyjr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 am

New Magic Wagon "Adinkra Necklace" now available -

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetai ... d=144&pa=8

This looks a lot like Mikame's "Heart of Gold", which I have. I wonder how much (if any) "business" will happen behind the scenes, so to speak?

bobt1
Charter Member

Re: Magic Wagon "Adinkra Necklace"

Post by bobt1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 am

The Mikame "Heart of Gold" was based on an earlier effect by Eric Lewis. I noticed a card describing the chosen symbol. Wonder why cards are used? Bob

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:51 pm

In my opinion, the pendant deserve better design of wooden easel. The free choice of symbols is great but seems only limited to the symbols given. Would be great if they deliver the blank one to perform Al Koran`s Medallion Effect. I`m not sure on how this prop works in mechanical way but I still love Mikame Heart Gold or Eric Lewis - Savoy better. One of the most deceptive switch ever created.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 am

Hi Victor just ordered one of these,i do like Magic Wagon items very nice quality,will let you know when i have reviewd it :D

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:27 am

Congratz Pete and thanks !! I'm looking forward to hear good news from you ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:08 am

Great you ordered one Pete! I skipped this one because of the high price tag, and because I'm not so into necklace effects, but I love to see your review of it!

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:32 pm

It was dispatched today Rob,just a wating game now. :D

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 am

Snapshot_20150225.JPG
Hello the Adinka Necklace arrived today,very quick,here is a brief description.
A wooden easel is shown upon which a beautiful pendant and chain is resting. It remains displayed in full view and the performer never touches the pendant from this point on. Now, the performer asks the spectator to freely choose an Adinkra symbol on the wooden block and talks a bit about the “lucky pendant” he bought during his many travels in Africa. He then shows both hands empty and immediately lifts the pendant out of the easel. To the spectator’s surprise, ENGRAVED on the back of the pendant is the chosen symbol!
What really makes this special is that the effect is entirely self-contained and when the performer lifts the chain to remove the pendant, the pendant never leaves view and the performer never touches the pendant (not even for a moment).
The necklace easel measures approximately16 cm by 23 cm and 1 cm thick and has been completely hand-crafted from natural aged teak wood with beautiful inlay work and a lightly distressed oil finish.
Each pendant measures approximately 5cm by 6cm and 0.8 cm thick and has been delicately and individually hand-crafted by our own artist.
Each natural teak block measures approximately 2.5 cm squared and has been laser engraved with Adinkra symbols.
My review
Very nicely made,solid and sturdy,nice detail and a strong gold tone chain,6 symbols nicely engraved and an engraved die with the 6 symbols engraved on it.There are 6 cards with the symbol on it and and a short description of the meaning of each symbol,this is given to the spectator to read once he has chosen the symbol on the die.There is nothing mechanical at all.the method is easy but will take a little practice.Best done with spectators directly in front of performer,It was expensive but superb quality. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:32 am

certainly looks like a nice set, are we looking at some future clock technology here?
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 am

Much more simple ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for the review Pete!

guyjr

Post by guyjr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am

I also decided to order this and just got back from a trip today to find it waiting on my shelf (thanks to my dear wife for receiving the mail while I was away!)

I will hopefully have some time to spend with it this weekend... judging by Pete's review above I don't think I will be disappointed by this one, the quality looks very high and I am all for simple methods (requiring practice of course!)

One day, when I'm feeling brave enough, I hope to put together a video demonstrating one of the effects in my MW collection, and will of course post back here.

guyjr

Post by guyjr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 am

Hi all! First, I want to let you all know that I just changed my username here to match my profile on themagiccafe.com. I usually use the other one to keep some sense of privacy online, but since these magic forums are more focused and personal, I decided it's worth it to go with my less obscure online handle.

Anyways... on to my review! (this has been posted also on the Tricks & Effects forum at the cafe)

The latest effect from the ever productive Magic Wagon is the Adinkra Necklace, and what a beautifully made prop it is! This one initially reminded me of Mikame's Heart of Gold necklace, in the sense that in both effects, the magician never touches the necklace as it is being lifted out of the stand.

In Adinkra, you have a stand which holds a beautifully ornate necklace, which is in full view of all spectators at all times. The necklace is held onto the stand by a chain wrapped around the top, and also a small square cutout in the middle bottom portion of the stand.

A spectator freely chooses one of six Adinkra symbols shown on a wooden block (die), and then is presented a card containing a small story about the symbol just chosen. After reading the story aloud, the magician lifts the necklace from the stand by the chain, never touching the pendant, and immediately shows, engraved upon the back of the pendant, the exact symbol chosen by the spectator!

The quality of all of the pieces of this prop are, as usual, top notch. The stand is crafted of beautiful wood, the pendant feels very full and heavy in the hand, and the chains also equally weighty in quality.

Unlike Heart of Gold, which is an incredible effect in its own right, in Adinkra Necklace, the pendant and necklace remain in full view of the audience virtually the entire time. The only time when it is partially obscured from view is as it is being lifted from the square holder, but it doesn't really detract at all from the belief that there has been no interference with the pendant at all by the magician.

This is a very high quality effect, even for Magic Wagon. The only drawback for me is that I would not feel too comfortable handing the pendant out for a closer examination after it is has been lifted out of the stand... the look of things from a few feet away is one of there being an engraved symbol on the back, but that may not hold up to a closer, hands-on examination. Also, it should probably be said that the stand itself cannot be examined, but it has very good viewing angles, at least 120 degrees in the front.

Other than that, the true secret of this effect will remain completely hidden, and was a real treat to learn when I received this one. A little bit of misdirection is required in order to keep eyes off of things at the critical time in the performance, but with practice, the move is fairly easy to accomplish.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:41 am

Recently there was a very cheap offer on ebay, I was really tempted to offer, but for an unknown reason I didn't do it. Afterwards I regretted it, because the trick was sold really cheap and for this price I would have taken it too, even if the trick is supposed to be quite simple.