Magic Wagon Z-frame

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Magic Wagon Z-frame

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 am

This new MW reminds I believe all of us of Sidetrack :

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=147

I really love the design and consider it as a Sidetrack Improved Version With New Clever Mechanism...

So... I ordered it :)

BillD

Re: Magic Wagon Z-frame

Post by BillD » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 am

Sidetrack on steroids!

I am tempted....

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:15 am

it's a shame they don't make videos as I'd love to see this one in action, it looks cool :)
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:25 am

Does it do anything a Sidetrack doesn't? You can put a signed sticker on the jumbo card in Sidetrack in the same place as with the card shown for Z Frame.

Sidetrack is nice because the frame in which the jumbo card is held is no larger than the card: it fills it completely. This version from Magic Wagon has an enormous frame to hold a little card in the middle. Looks kinda pretty, but doesn't make a lotta sense.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:46 am

I like this Z-Frame a lot, because of the great design, a piece of art, comparable with the great items Simon makes. :)
I have tried to make a Sidetrack myself, after I figured out how it worked, and it remains a fragile item, a lot of people have sent their broken Sidetrack to JohnM who is able to fix it perfect.

This variation of Sidetrack will be less fragile, and of course it's a big frame, yet it still can be a convincing performance. Lay people often consider a big frame like this as a design choice. It will be a great effect to perform!
I just can't help liking it, I also liked, and still like MW's Ultimate Penetration Frame.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:24 pm

This line from the description raised a big concern for me.

"Due to the method used, this effect is best performed a few feet away from the audience."

If using a Jumbo card like Side Track it might be OK but with a standard sized card I think that is awkward.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:04 pm

The few feet away story is less alarming than it is in reality, Simon Corneille, the inventor of this trick, said he didn't understand why they came up with it, it can withstand close inspection.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Anyway, I will give a review when I received it, and probably make a video :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing it in action. It certainly is a lovely looking item :)
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:12 pm

I think the advantage of this item compared with the Sidetrack is that in this one you can see thru it!.......it looks that there is no place to hide the first half of the gimmick.

Where does it come from?.....how does it connect with the second half??

Thats the real mystery for me.

Very interesting item.......maybe over engineered....but most of us like that ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Rob Rand wrote:The few feet away story is less alarming than it is in reality, Simon Corneille, the inventor of this trick, said he didn't understand why they came up with it, it can withstand close inspection.
Quoting myself, funny enough someone on the Magic Cafe mentioned that my quote 'can withstand close inspection' is not really true. I agree, I actually meant to say 'can be seen from a close distance by the audience'.
Sometimes I say something different in English than I meant to say :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:49 am

I eventually passed. This is mainly a price issue for me. Yes, the frame is big compared to the card, but due to the gimmick used a smaller frame (as in less 'tall') would make it look more suspicious, so it is understandable.
I don't think distance will be a problem.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Ok, forget my last comment. I eventually eventually decided to buy it :)

After reading some comments I think this might actually be a very good trick. I was biased because I own Sidetrack, but I actually never perform Sidetrack out of fear of damaging it. So, assuming this is based on Sidetrack's methology (which is REALLy clever), is easy to do and has no angle restrictions, I bought it anyway :)
And I probably won't have to be afraid of damaging it too, since you can use different cards.
We'll see how it turns out :D

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Rob Rand wrote:This new MW reminds I believe all of us of Sidetrack :

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=147

I really love the design and consider it as a Sidetrack Improved Version With New Clever Mechanism...

So... I ordered it :)
===============================================================
Workmanship looks great, but somehow it looks a tad-bit awkward.
I agree with David, that the small card in the very large frame looks suspicious.
I also own two "Sitetracks," and would preform it regularly if not worried about damage.
I do wonder if this mechanism will hold up under years of multiple workings.

Looking forward to Rob's review, and video.
and now, on with the show ...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:27 am

Received my Z-frame today, and I'm really impressed! I never expected that it would work the way it works! Very clever!
An innovative piece of magic, even some nice routines are added from Simon Corneille and John Talbot!
A definitive winner!
IMG_20150422_152216~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 am

BluBob, I do my Sidetrack pretty regularly and as long as you push the extending piece back by grabbing it closest to the frame and pushing it in bit by bit, should be no prob.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:01 pm

does this mean we have another brotherbor video to look forward to? :)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:28 pm

I hope so Simon, I'm so busy with the Carpenter's Revenges at the moment! :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:40 am

My Z-frame finally arrived (I wasn't home last week and thankfully this morning I just saw the UPS van on my driveway when I was walking out my dog ;) ).

Well what can I say, other then this has immediatebly become one of my favourites pieces of magic!
I only played with it for a few minutes but it works perfectly and the secret is actually more devious then what I had in mind! It is BETTER then I had in mind. My initial thoughts were that you could 'see' something 'sliding' but no ... the mind of Simon Corneille came with a great solution to overcome this problem :) There is a litle 'sound' but since this will be performed from a certain distance (not necessary, see bellow) and the trick will be accompanied with a story this is not an issue at all. Actually, when you are 'carefull' when handling the apparatus there is hardly any sound at all. Well done :)

The whole apparatus has a nice, sturdy weight and feel. It looks great and it is actually a lot smaller then what I had in mind! Sure, the frame is larger then the card, but it's seriously smaller then I thought. Again, great!

The instructions are of the best I have ever seen from a Magic Wagon item, well written by John Talbot and Simon Corneille! Clear, color pictures and a well written manual with some great extra routines and thoughts. It doesn't get a lot better then this. Also kudos to John and Simon for mentioning Mr. Kondo and Mr. Settedukati in the manual.

The back panel is held in place with magnets, which makes it easy. I love the nice black felt on the back with the tiny brass screws, this makes it look all the more beautifull. The milky glass is not a big deal and it has been discussed before, so no complaints here.

The distance you need to perform it from the spectator is not a lot at all ... even up close this looks very convincing.

You can clean the apparatus when needed (explained in the manual) and the gimmick can be pulled free from the apparatus, so should there ever be a problem you'll be able to fix it (I don't think there will ever be a problem but heck, it gives a comfortable feeling (unlike performing Tenyo's Sidetrack).

The handling will require a bit of practice, not difficult at all but to make it look as convincing as possible you'll need to follow the patter in the instructions step by step, so a tiny bit of memory work is needed. But again, this is absolutely no issue. Magic tricks don't get a lot more self working than this actually.

This is a fantastic trick, which will likely become a collectable in the future. It is a trick I WILL actually perform when someone asks 'do a magic trick'. It is almost impossible to figure out how it works, even for magicians who know how Sidetrack and other Zig-Zag tricks funstion.

One litle sidenote: when I first opened the package up and tried performing it, the gimmick was a bit 'hard to move'. A litle bend of the supplied card fixed this, no problems anymore.

My score: 9,5/10 and straight into my top 5 Magic Wagon top-tricks-list :)

By the way this is STILL for sale, unbelievable. It's expensive, yes, but if you like cleverly designed self-working high quality magic props this is a must buy. Don't say I didn't warn you in a few years time ;)

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 am

The first time I saw the picture of this trick I immediately decided not to buy it because of the size of the frame. After reading David's review, I changed my mind.

I found this video after ordering the trick.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm

That is a very nice performance, thanks for the link Bob! However, you can make it look even a bit more convincing (if needed when you perform for some know-it-alls ;) ) when you follow the instructions step by step. You won't be dissapointed Bob (I hope!) :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:55 pm

is that a l***rs l***e in there?!
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:32 pm

SimonC wrote:is that a l***rs l***e in there?!
I don`t think so Simon but it should have something to do with the glass and the frame I assumed. The illusion is very convincing.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Still a mystery for me.....waiting for my copy.....:)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun May 03, 2015 4:35 am

Here's a link to the video made by Simon Corneille (the inventor): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wUhIlo8qJA