MAGIC WAGON

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

MAGIC WAGON

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 am

Magic Wagon's stuff is great, although not always as innovative as some say in my opinion. While the quality is always top notch, the tricks themselves are sometimes (not often), 'so-so', but still OK of course :)

You've probably already found it, but Stevens Magic Emporium still has Pencil Without A Middle (one that I skipped, my budget isn't sufficient to buy every item they sell unfortunately ...): http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/pencil ... gic-wagon/

Greg C
Charter Member

MAGIC WAGON

Post by Greg C » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I agree about Pencil Without a Middle. Something that small may not be easy to see from 8 feet away.

I guess it could be done a little closer if all the spectators would close one eye.

John B.
Charter Member

MAGIC WAGON

Post by John B. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 pm

Pencil without a middle can be used about 3 feet away. I think they were very conservative when they wrote that.

Peter G
Charter Member

MAGIC WAGON

Post by Peter G » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:41 pm

zingana box is now for sale at the cafe for 300$

SimonC
Global Moderator

MAGIC WAGON

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 pm

I still have my Bermuda medallion which I'm happy to sell or trade for tenyo from my wish list..
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

MAGIC WAGON

Post by John B. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm

I am looking for the Magic Wagon item Tri-Slicer. Please send a PM if you are willing to sell, or see one advertised. Thanks!

John B.
Charter Member

Re: MAGIC WAGON

Post by John B. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:56 pm

I recently bought a Magic Wagon ZIngana box, and it arrived yesterday. I wasn't crazy about the effect when it was released, but the box is better than I expected. The box is nicely constructed and not too big. The routine is way too long and overly complicated though. I would like to come up with a different routine all together. The box although gimmicked can be freely examined at the end which is a nice touch.

I am already thinking about other uses for this. Does anybody else have this and want to brainstorm some different ideas for it? Send me a PM or we can create a thread in the members-only section and open the discussion to all members who are interested.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am

I have this trick but have not used it for the same reason as yours. It is a nice trick though. I have never thought of using it for another effect because I think that the routine that comes with it is the best presentation possible. But now that you've mentioned it, maybe it can be used for shorter effects. I don't have the box with me right now so I do not know if playtime cards will fit. If they fit, one nice possible effect is Kolossal Killer. The box is a versatile one. If you start a thread in the members-only section I'm sure many ideas will come up.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:55 am

Ahh kolossal killer, my wallet is always prepped to crack that one out as my emergency trick. Love it
Now you see me...

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am

SimonC wrote:Ahh kolossal killer, my wallet is always prepped to crack that one out as my emergency trick. Love it
Absolutely correct! I do this trick with a wallet and no one ever asked to examine my wallet. A wallet is a personal thing. People don't ask to get your wallet to see what's inside. Kolossal Killer is perfect as is. Using a box to show that it is the only card in the box is not necessary. I'll post other possible effects once this thread is started in the members-only section.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:57 pm

It's my stand by trick for when you tell people you're a magician and they say "show me a trick then"
There's a great take on it called "heirloom" which I also like.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 pm

I have the Zingana Box and performed 2 times with it. The reactions are overwhelming. The 2nd time I performed for 2 colleagues, and they were really impressed. Especially becuase the box is totally examinable at the end. Only the 3d part with the prices is a bit fishy, but phase 1 (with whom do you go on holiday) and phase 2 (pick 3 cards with destinations) are really surprising. It really is a very clever routine. But I would like to change the 3d phase with the brass plaques for something else.

The nice thing is, that during the whole performance you can, because the 'dirty'work has been done, a) leave the box open or b) close the box after you have put the plaques out.

Of course this only makes sense for those who own the Zingana Box.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm

I am going to post in the members only section, to help protect the secret from the public.

JohnM
Site Admin

New Magic Wagon Item Released

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:21 am

Here is the info on the new Magic Wagon Effect.

http://magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=130

I am going to pass on this one.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:36 am

This is terrible! And, I can't help it, but I hate tricks that use water. I want dry tricks only. Whatever the cleverness is of the die, and although the price is a bargain compared to other MW effects, I'll pas on this too.
I'll stick to my Simonitis :-)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 am

Well I don't completely agree, but that's personal of course :) I just ordered it, the price made it a no brainer for me.

I believe the dice are not magnetic (hooray! :lol: ) but will turn on a side when water is added. You will probably get 6 dice so multiple can be used in one routine (for one or different spectators - let's say you use the die which will turn to 6, 4 en 2 and your prediction is the same - use some magicians force to force the dice to two or three spectators and you will know what every persons number will be ...). The dice, as far as I can guess, will work with any type of glass, so you will not have to use the stand MW provides (which I personally not like that much).

This will work well with Diceolation or just to force a chosen number without the use of some expensive elektronics (like with their Ghost Die).

Yep, I'm pretty enthousiastic ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:16 am

It looks like it would be nice to bring out at a dinner party
Now you see me...

John P.

Post by John P. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:23 am

I was on the fence about this one and I took the plunge. Not very impressive "design wise" but...

What actually convinced me was the story of Poseidon. I think it makes sense because of the use of the water and the trident. That was smart. Like Simon said, seems like a nice piece for a dinner, or to show when friends come home.

I'll post my thoughts once I get it.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 am

David DeTenyo wrote: I believe the dice are not magnetic (hooray! :lol: ).

You will probably get 6 dice so multiple can be used in one routine.

The dice, as far as I can guess, will work with any type of glass, so you will not have to use the stand MW provides.
I think you need the base, otherwise why even have such a plain looking base. If it was just ornamental then they would have made the base Posiden like. They should have done a more ornamental base that looks like Majestic Hydro dice or Dice Penetration. Even if it added to the cost I think it would be well accepted because they person who sculpts for them is very good.

They do not mention multiple dice. I think that would help sales if it had multiple dice so if it does come with six dice they should have mentioned that.

I think the dice and base are magnetic. The water agitates the die and then when it floats to the bottom to settle it turns in the water. Just my guess.

Maybe it works like Diceolation but instead of moving the dice to the different sides of the box, the water does that work. once again just a guess.

I am all for cool props and a brass trident is one, but since it serves no mechanical purpose in my opinion it is overkill. It does support the Posiden theme, but I think that too is overkill to envolk the power Posiden in a glass of water.

Someone mentioned on the Cafe that they were charged shipping but that is only because the price is below the minimum amount needed to get the free shipping from Magic Wagon.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:46 am

Magic Wagon should have provided an alternative die with sea creatures on it. Whale, Shark, Seahorse, etc. That would work better with the Posiden theme.

Also etching the glass with a sea floor motif would have been nice as well.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:46 pm

We'll have to wait and see ... I'm really puzzled now.

The advertisement does say "The effect can be performed with any numbers from 1-6."

and "Please do not confuse “Dice of Poseidon” with any other gimmicked dice we have previously produced. Each set has been painstakingly hand-crafted by a skilled craftsman using the total of three different manufacturing processes for gaffing each die which are very unique and really complicated to produce.

I can only hope there will be six different dice or at least you can do something so the outcome can be different each time, if that is not the case I'll probably be pretty upset to be honest ;)

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm

What sound weird for me is that you first put the dice in the cylider and then pour the water......I mean before putting the watter you already have a selection!!......so that means the water rotates in some way the dice???.....so you reveal how the trick work in front of the spectator??.....something don't fit well here...

The trident is beautiful but I don't like the fact that is just ornamental.......except if it work similar to Tenyo Eye of the Idol and the results varies depending where you put the trident.......but I son´t think so.

I will pass on this one......the price is lower than the previous releases but it's still something expensive to buy....
Last edited by Roberto B. on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:I can only hope ... you can do something so the outcome can be different each time, if that is not the case I'll probably be pretty upset to be honest ;)
Maybe the base can be set-up like Eye of the Idol to influence the outcome.

Once again I am just guessing and can be totally wrong.

On the bottom of the ad it does say "Dice Size: 1/2 inch" and not "Die Size: 1/2 inch" but it would have been easier and smarter to mention multiple dice and show them but maybe they do not want to show or mention anything that would hint at the method.

Like you said we will know sooner than later.

John P.

Post by John P. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:01 pm

I think I have a good idea of how this works, and I don't think it's magnetic.

They mention that everything "can be handed out for examination", so can't be magnetic. They also say "no palming", thus, no ditching. If it works as I think it works, it's brilliant.

But I have to agree with you JohnM. They should have put some more effort in designing the product. A nice ornamented base with a waves motif, maybe a different glass, and dice with sea creatures. It would be much more appealing if they did that.

With such a smart idea of using the Poseidon theme when I look at the props (assuming they are just what we see in the picture) it just looks too bland. Could look like a masterpiece, but unfortunately seems unfinished. I have to admit that I had second thoughts about it, and I still do, but I'm a mentalist, so I couldn't stay away from this. I'll review it in some days.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm guessing the water serves a purpose (or a porpoise) and it's usually to disguise a thread, or warp the view. Intriguing. Perhaps the die has, instead of a magnet, an air bubble which would pull a certain number top wise but that's small enough not to make it float to the top.
Now you see me...