Magic Wagon - Chinese Lion Mystery

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Rob Rand
Charter Member

Magic Wagon - Chinese Lion Mystery

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:40 am

E559E75C-C954-4AC5-A3FF-7E9E405DD678.jpeg
The next release by Magic Wagon will be on Sunday 28 October 2018.

Chinese Lion Mystery

A small foulard draped platform featuring an ornate shade tube cover is displayed. The performer now shows the tube to be completely empty and places it back on the platform. The foulard is then pulled up through the tube to further prove its emptiness. Despite this, the performer amazes the audience by producing a beautiful lotus pedestal from the tube but that’s not all! He then tucks an empty foulard into the tube, snaps his fingers and places the foulard on top of the lotus pedestal. Immediately, when the foulard is lifted, is a Chinese lion statue resting on the pedestal!

The effect can be performed without body or table loads of any kind. The mechanical method for this item is absolutely ingenious and it has been inspired by the Aldini Bowl Production which is a cleverly designed version of the legendary Westgate Bowl Production.

The photos really do not do justice to this very elaborate piece of magic apparatus! This is, without question, one of the finest and most exquisitely detailed effects we have ever produced. It is absolutely stunning in appearance!

Chinese Lion Mystery measures approximately 13.5cms in diameter and 16.5cms high including the tube. The round platform is only 13mm thick and adorned with three beautiful lion paw carved legs. The entire outfit is extremely detailed and each set has been painstakingly and individually hand-crafted by our own exclusive artist.

Also included but not shown in the image is a black foulard cloth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Rand on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Maguc Wagon - Chinese Lion Mystery

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:42 am

This is an item I will definitely not purchase, because it is absolutely not my style. Regardless of the clever mechanism.

Olaf S

Re: Maguc Wagon - Chinese Lion Mystery

Post by Olaf S » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:59 am

Rob Rand wrote:This is an item I will definitely not purchase, it is absolutely not my style
Regardless of the clever mechanism ...
I would have liked Magic Wagon to have produced this trick with different materials.
The round table made of wood, the lotus platform made of golden resin, lion in white or black soapstone design. The square tube could be a beautiful painted one. These are my spontaneous thoughts about this release, can also be other material combinations, of course more expensive.

Simon Layland

Re: Magic Wagon - Chinese Lion Mystery

Post by Simon Layland » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:36 am

I love the look of this, I'm in.
Simon from Aus (but English)

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:13 am

Hi, I have the Westgate Bowl production made by Warren Hamilton. It is a classic stage type effect and has great oriental decor (as all Hamilton items have). It does require some careful handling. The production is a bowl of water. The Aldini version (to me) seems like a lower quality item than the Hamilton version. I believe the working is the same as the new MW item. The MW does have an addition of the lion statue at the end. I would assume that MW has somewhat improved the handling? By the way, I probably have the largest collection of Hamilton oriental decor effects. William King Jr. had the largest collection. However, after his passing, his huge magic collection was auctioned. Bob

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:29 am

Simon Layland wrote:I love the look of this, I'm in.
I'm not sure if I'll choose it, the trick is quite obvious even for a layman, even if he doesn't know exactly how it was done technically. The good thing about this MW trick is that it has never been produced by Magic Wagon before .. and is therefore a real novelty .. I am also not sure how far a smooth handling is possible and whether there are not also suspicious noises. In any case a good object for the showcase but is this sufficient as a purchase argument ? Have to contemplate this !

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:50 pm

After having een this video of the Original Aldini Bowl trick:

https://youtu.be/d4QmMNOroMs

My opinion is: what a stupid trick!

I'm Dutch, so I can sometimes be very rude in my opinion ;)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:43 am

Rob Rand wrote:My opinion is: what a stupid trick !
I don't find this trick so stupid in the Magic Wagon version at all
Through its small size and "double appearance" it has its own charm
With a convincing presentation, the effect can also be quite impressive

This seems to be the original Aldini Bowl Production version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:33 am

The Aldini bowl production (which Olaf shows a picture of) was based on the Westgate production (video that Rob linked to), and the big difference is the added legs in the Aldini version. The point of that was to be able to get rid of the assistant, which is necessary in the Westgate version.

I agree it looks like a stupid trick in the Westgate version, but I think the Magic Wagon version will be a little less stupid. Not really a fooler, though. Wonder if this will sell out quickly...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:31 am

Well ok, the trick as seen on the video looks stupid and pretty old fashioned. I didn't mean to say that the MW version is stupid as well.

The MW version will be for sure an improvement, and fun to perform. And it has the extra surprise of the lion popping up.

Of course it's all in all great that you can buy a mini version of this effect.

What prevents me from buying this effect is the style. Some may like it, I like more a less ornamental style.

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:01 am

Some comments on the older Westgate Bowl Production:
- some versions were able to produce both silks and a bowl of water
- the Hamilton version did not require an assistant. At the start the foulard was wrapped around the tube cover and the all was seen resting on a table. There were no legs as in the later Aldini version so all remained flat on the table. All was picked up from the table and the effect proceeded. This required handling practice.
- producing a bowl of water makes the effect more amazing. However, it's not practical for close-up.

The MW added lion statue production seems quite small so I don't think it adds anything. It might have been added to make the effect different from the older versions?
Bob

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

I ordered a copy, Its a good price.
http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=184

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 am

Simon Layland wrote:I ordered a copy, Its a good price
Me too :-) I also found the price is a fair deal
It looks like demand isn't overwhelming ...
I'm curious to hear the feedbacks

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 am

I am on the fence- will think about today. I like it as a collectible, but I don't think it is a good trick.

The workings are a bit obvious, and they importantly don't show a photo of the silk draped over the stand (kind of an important point since the silk is required for the method). The photos on the ad are a bit deceptive, and make it look better.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am

John B. wrote:I like it as a collectible, but I don't think it is a good trick
Even if it seems obvious, it's a classic magic trick, in addition a second appearance sets a highlight
At first I wasn't that impressed but now I'm very excited about the detailed artful workmanship
The table, the pedestal and the square cover can also be used seperately for other purposes

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:44 am

John, I agree with no photo showing foulard comment. Every illustration from past magic catalogues showing this effect included the covering foulard. It is important to show that covering. Otherwise it seems like a miracle production. Bob

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Sold out

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:42 am

I'm surprised it sold out so quickly, but it's obviously good for Magic Wagon it did. Will be interesting to see if any videos of the trick pops up, but I hope so.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:24 pm

ØyvindK wrote:I'm surprised it sold out so quickly, but it's obviously good for Magic Wagon it did
Will be interesting to see if any videos of the trick pops up, but I hope so.
I was also very surprised that this trick sold out so quickly, because there were not many positive comments in circulation. Of course there were Magic Wagon products that sold out in less time but I think "The Chinese Lion Mystery" has roared very well .... I'm not sure if I will make a video of this trick because he could be too easy revealed in a video. But I am positive that he does well in a live performance. My assumptions to the used trick techniques were denied by Magic Wagon, which makes me now particularly curious how all will be performed secure and smoth.

Simon Layland

Post by Simon Layland » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Olaf S wrote:
ØyvindK wrote:I'm surprised it sold out so quickly, but it's obviously good for Magic Wagon it did
Will be interesting to see if any videos of the trick pops up, but I hope so.
I was also very surprised that this trick sold out so quickly, because there were not many positive comments in circulation. Of course there were Magic Wagon products that sold out in less time but I think "The Chinese Lion Mystery" has roared very well .... I'm not sure if I will make a video of this trick because he could be too easy revealed in a video. But I am positive that he does well in a live performance. My assumptions to the used trick techniques were denied by Magic Wagon, which makes me now particularly curious how all will be performed secure and smoth.
With 396 Magic Wagon Facebook members, The MC members (probably a lap over in members) and of course the members here Magic Wagon only needs 15% of those members to buy, plus there is only a new release every few months these days making it more affordable.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

I passed on this one. As much as I like the look of this, there is likely a lot of set-up with the silk draped over the table, and I think it won't really be practical. I am curious to read the reviews when they come in.

Maybe it is a better piece on display on a shelf.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 am

I didn't buy it either. I have nothing against MW's resin pieces, I think they look beautifull although some more color would be nice.

This is one of those tricks I really need to see a video of. After reading the description several times I doubt this will fool anyone however. A little table with a piece of cloth covering what's under it is somewhat giving away the secret, but perhaps with some clever handling and a good routine it might work nonetheless.

I think it's great to see MW once again make an effect from the old days in miniature form! This is the way to go in my opinion. Glad to see it sold out so quickly too.

Buying a magic trick to put it on a display shelf is a bit above my budget I'm afraid ;)
Olaf S wrote:I'm not sure if I will make a video of this trick because he could be too easy revealed in a video.
Most of the tricks seen in videos are figured out pretty quick by most of us; don't let that influence you in diciding to make a video of it :)

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Since I have the Warren Hamilton Westgate Bowl production, I also skipped this MW item. However, even if I did not have the Westgate, I don't think I would have purchased. I think the production is too small. Seems like it could almost be palmed or have a pouch in the silk. I think this type of effect benefits from a large production like a bowl of water. The large production item eliminates close-up performance. Bob

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:11 pm

That's a good point Bob … It's definitely less impressive than the stage version ...

It's probably nice if it's permanently placed on the chimney piece. When someone admires it, you can do the magic. But then the cloth must be already placed of course.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm

I personally don't like the over carved resin made tricks especially when they are painted gold. Reminds me of cheap gaudy 1960's ceramics sold at flea markets along side of the velvet Elvis paintings. :D

They go to the trouble to carved them to mimic they are made of wood why paint it gold. They have the carving talent over there in truck loads they should be made of wood for the high price they always want for their pieces. If it cost more because each one has to be hand carved then it would be worth it in the end product as each one would be a true collectable as no 2 are exactly the same. It would also stop them from the over done carving too if they had to carve each piece. Sometime less is more. ;)

They other thing that just can't be is each time they come up with a new product that always say something like with this one "This is, without question, one of the finest and most exquisitely detailed effects we have ever produced. It is absolutely stunning in appearance!" Well I am not stunned most the time. ;)

Just my opinion but bet there are others that feel the same way..... maybe not. :|

Having to use a silk to make this work being so small it's too easy to hide a load so don't think many will be impressed but I would still like to see this one done on a video.

I never got started collecting MW as they are very expensive and made way to often with no videos and no time to think about if you really want it. I'm sure once you start collecting MW you can't stop. Collecting is a addition I know all too well as I have an Antique/Vintage Padlock monkey on my back. I have them in every corner of my house and can't stop buying them and bringing them back to be full working again. They are like magic puzzles to me. There is nothing like the feeling of getting something mechanical I have no idea how it works from the 1800's early 1900's locked up with no keys and figure out how to make a working key or find the combination reviving it to be functional again. Have use many in magic routines. Ok now I got that out there back to the show. :D

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"