Mystic Mirror - Magic Wagon

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Olaf S

Mystic Mirror - Magic Wagon

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:44 pm

Mystic Mirror - Magic Wagon # 210
Release 28th or 30th September 2021
But some slight delay maybe possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olaf S

Re: Mystic Mirror - Magic Wagon

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:52 pm

A beautifully decorated wooden mirror with combined stand is displayed.
The performer now taps on the mirror to prove that it is solid. He then places
a wooden star trap panel over the center of the mirror before immediately pushing
a marker pen right through the star trap, apparently penetrating the solid mirror !

After the penetration, the panel is immediately removed to reveal that the mirror is
completely unharmed and still perfectly solid ! There is no explanation as to how the
marker pen or any object of a similar size could have gone through the mirror !
It looks truly impossible. This is, unquestionably, one of the most clever and
absolutely best penetration effects that we have ever produced.

Mystic Mirror has been inspired by the classic Canary thru Mirror illusion;
however, with our version, it does not appear that it could work the
same way as the original version did.

The wooden mirror and combined stand measures approximately
17 cms tall & 12.5 cms wide & has been completely handcrafted
from natural aged teak wood with a lightly distressed oil finish.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:59 pm

I am not a big fan of MW and currently don’t have any of their items in my collection.
This trick, however, is one of the first I am actually interested in.
I suspect this release will have a price tag in the $300 - $400 which is out of my price range. Since I no longer perform and simply collect, I just can’t justify spending that much on a single item.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:03 pm

I too don’t own any Magic Wagon effects, and it concerns me that I’m unable to see the effect performed before having to make a snap decision to spend that amount of money on it before it sells out.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 pm

PeterW wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:03 pm
I too don’t own any Magic Wagon effects, and it concerns me that I’m unable to see the effect performed before having to make a snap decision to spend that amount of money on it before it sells out.
I feel the same way. I can’t help but wonder if the lack of video performances as well as no high resolution images is part of their selling strategy. The buyers just have to take a leap of faith and hope they receive something great.

I’m not saying this necessarily as a negative strike against MW but just something I’ve often wondered.

I’m sure many of us older members remember a time before the Internet. If you weren’t lucky enough to live near a brick and mortar magic shop, most all magic purchases were a leap of faith. How many tricks did we purchase based off a great description in a catalog, only to be disappointed once it arrived. That disappointment is easier to handle when the price tag is small. For $300 plus, I want to know what I’m getting.

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 pm

Interesting...

Out of curiosity, how having "no high-resolution images" could be part of Magic Wagon's selling strategy? :?:
;)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 pm

Simon Corneille wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 pm
Interesting...

Out of curiosity, how having "no high-resolution images" could be part of Magic Wagon's selling strategy? :?:
I’ve heard others complain about the low res images on the web site. And, that their site is really in need of an update.
Since I don’t collect MW effects, it doesn’t matter to me at all. 😊
I do understand the appeal for those who like the wood crafted and resin affects. If the prices were bit more affordable, there are a few that I probably would have purchased.
I have a tight budget and limited storage and display room so I have to be very selective with my magic purchases.
I will say that I’ve been very lucky at finding many sought after effects at really affordable prices.

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:56 pm

KirkW wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 pm
I’ve heard others complain about the low res images on the web site. And, that their site is really in need of an update.
Oh, yes, for sure, I heard others complaining about their low-resolution images too! Essentially non-frequent buyers who would like to see the items from different angles, etc, before pressing on the "buy button". I can understand them. But I don't understand how low-resolution images could be a "selling strategy" for Magic Wagon... Better photos would logically improve their sales, no? If your point is that their images rarely do justice to their products, I confirm.

So, why don't they comply and put better photos on their website? Well, I would say that one of the reasons (among a couple of others) relies on the limitation of their current website (images' dimensions and weight).

So, why don't they build a new website? Again, there are a few reasons. Here are 3:
1) The cost
2) To preserve access to what became their online catalog over the years. You know how to use it, with the MW numbers in the URL, right? (I personally formulated this request when they were considering a new website, 4 or 5 years ago)
3) Their current website works well for what they do (essentially they add a new product page every month) and their loyal customers are used to it.

Clearly, it doesn't affect their sales. For the past 2 years, they even seem to sell out their stock faster almost every month! Let's see how long it will take this time (bets are open! ;) )

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it", someone said...
;)

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:25 am

The cost standpoint of hosting and maintaining a website is understandable and something I hadn’t considered. :-/
I’m sure this is why video demonstrations are not possible as well.
Magic Wagon obviously has a very loyal following where these issues are of no concern.

As I mentioned in my earlier post. This current piece does appeal to me and if my budget weren’t so tight, I would be ready at my computer waiting to press the “purchase” button.

I believe Mystic Mirror will be a very desirable item that will sell out in 15-30 minutes max.

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 am

KirkW wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:25 am
This current piece does appeal to me and if my budget weren’t so tight, I would be ready at my computer waiting to press the “purchase” button.
I believe Mystic Mirror will be a very desirable item that will sell out in 15-30 minutes max.
I perfectly understand and share your "budget" consideration. I had to make a decision a few years ago and decided to cut significantly my magic expenses (other than Magic Wagon). I skipped several pieces from Alan Warner, François Danis, Thomas Pohle, etc. I bought much less second-hand magic from Joe Long, too. I would say that Magic Wagon now represents almost 75% of my magic budget. I simply had to make a choice. And I perfectly understand that others would have made a different choice. (I'm addicted to Magic Wagon :evil: )

Regarding Mystic Mirror, here is a scoop: I heard today that they made less than the usual 75 sets this time, because of the complexity (or issues they had?) with the mirror. My guess is that they will raise their price tag this time to compensate (this is only my guess). Don't be surprised if they charge $400 apiece, and if they still sell out very quickly.

If I learn more, I will let you know.
Last edited by Simon Corneille on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 am

In my opinion, the Magic Wagon website could stay as it is and it just needed an extra link for a
better photo to an external website that displays images and an extra link to a short demo video on
YouTube to accommodate the desire for more transparency. All this would not cause any additional
costs ... but since Magic Wagon often sells its products without additional advertising, this option
is not really considered - I also think that a simpler increase of the website space would not cost
much more. Website could stay as it is, just with the possibility to display higher resolution pics

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am

I already own Pagoda Mystery and this one seems very similar both in effect and modus operandi ... .

Any thoughts? Could this perhaps be an improved version in some way?

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:28 am

David DeTenyo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am
I already own Pagoda Mystery and this one seems very similar both in effect and modus operandi
Any thoughts? Could this perhaps be an improved version in some way ?

I assume that the mirror is not made of plastic, but of real mirror glass and thus better protected
against fine scratches, but I doubt whether the back can be shown in this version - Since I do not
own Pagoda Mystery I am interested in this version - Would like to know some more informations

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:33 am

I had the original effect by Jack Hughes. Unlike the Hughes and Pagoda Mystery, the frame with glass or mirror remains stationary. It is not removed/inserted into the stand. This type of effect is very visual and looks impossible. Maybe, the new MW version can also be exameind?

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:03 pm

bobt1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:33 am
Maybe, the new MW version can also be exameind?
It cannot be examined but you can show it all around, while hiding a little something with your fingers. ;)
;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 pm

bobt1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:33 am
I had the original effect by Jack Hughes. Unlike the Hughes and Pagoda Mystery, the frame with glass or mirror remains stationary. It is not removed/inserted into the stand. This type of effect is very visual and looks impossible. Maybe, the new MW version can also be exameind?
So in this new release you do not need to put the frame in a stand as with Pagoda Mystery?

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 pm

So in this new release you do not need to put the frame in a stand as with Pagoda Mystery?
Exactly.
;)

bobt1
Charter Member

Post by bobt1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm

I sold the Hughes version many years ago so I don't recall the exact performance. However, I think the glass/frame was removed from the stand. Then the 2 star traps were hinged downward and all was shown on both sides with nothing to hide. I could be wrong? I did not think the new MW version could be examined. However, if the frame/mirror is stationary, then making it examinable might be easier to construct? Maybe the new version is more deceptive if all is stationary? Anyway, a very visual effect.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks Simon and Bob. I'm still on the fence about this one. If I didn't already have Pagoda Mystery this would be a no brainer ... .

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:14 pm

Simon Corneille wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 am

If I learn more, I will let you know.
UPDATE: Magic Wagon tells me that their target is tomorrow, Tuesday Sept 28.
;)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:11 am

⭐️ Magic Wagon Mystic Mirror for 400 USD available now ⭐️

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=210
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Olaf S on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:25 am

That's a hefty price tag for a fairly simple trick, but I'm quite sure that it will sell out pretty fast anyways.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:43 am

ØyvindK wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:25 am
That's a hefty price tag for a fairly simple trick,
but I'm quite sure that it will sell out pretty fast anyways

I have to agree 😲 we were forewarned, but my hopes were for $350, which would still be a high
price, and additional the dollar exchange rate is not that good anymore. Apparently fewer have
been produced (my guess is 70) as well and of course MW has to price that in and maybe the
production was also more costly than planned & some units could not be produced flawless

Simon Corneille

Post by Simon Corneille » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 am

They finally managed to make 75. They had 60 yesterday, when I posted here. They had to drill +/- 500 mirrors in order to make their 75 sets.
;)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 am

Simon Corneille wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 am
They finally managed to make 75. They had 60 yesterday, when I posted here. They had to drill +/- 500 mirrors in order to make their 75 sets.
Oh, wow. That sounds painful, but I guess the mirror to be drilled is fairly thin, which makes it difficult to drill without cracking.