Magic Wagon Ghost Board

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Magic Wagon Ghost Board

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:43 am

See here: http://magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=131&pa=8

Not sure what to think of this one, I also don't exactly understand the effect.

Performer writes on back of slate, brass cover is removed and it is seen that on the front of the slate is the same? If this is the basic effect I will pass, even for laymen it is clear the slate is gimmicked and duplicates the writing ... . Also, this won't be examinable in any way since the Magic Wagon guys don't tell you it can.

This one could be good, but then again I already have quite a few 'slate effects', and similar routines without the use of an akward looking slate are available ... .

What do you guys think? And what is the Richard Himber’s Slate and Nemo Slate effect Magic Wagon is talking about in their discription and e-mail? Can't find any info on them ... .

VictorS

Re: Magic Wagon Ghost Board

Post by VictorS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:16 am

Hi David,

It is a mini version of Ted Lesley Slate Sensational which also inspired by Richard Himber.

Check this out :
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/r ... -mentalism

this is another way to do Mental Epic effects. I like ted`s version which looks more natural like children`s school chalkboard. The magic wagon version is nice, but the line in the middle bothers me. It looks so unnatural. The line should be there because the half of the board is flap able 180 degrees. The mechanism helps to lock everything back. In this effect, it required double writing. Ted`s version is nice, you can make the prediction and spec. choices in different colors which could be possible also for magic wagon`s version. Ted`s describe this effect and secret in his lecture notes, which I have only in German language with only 1 pic, the rest was text. I`m not sure if this could help u.

Victor

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:56 am

Anyway Victor, for me this is very helpful thank you!
I bought MW effects for a short while but I've lost my interest in their products, and like David I must be careful with spending too much money on Magic.
Nowadays I like it more to read books about effects and eventually make items myself.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks Victor, that helps a lot indeed. I'm passing on this new Magic Wagon ... .

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 am

I'm passing too.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 am

I am also going to pass. I prefer Tenyo's Occult Board!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I have never bought a Magic Wagon item.

For me I haven't found any of them nearly worth the price and you can never be sure if the method is even worthy.

I really don't like the twisting of the arm to purchase something with minimal info with not one review that is just released and within mins or hours it is sold out by design as they only make a handful to force people to make a snap decision to grab it up or lose out.

I'm sure there has been some great effects by them in the past but since I have started watching the emails that come very regular now nothing interest me. The only one that mildly got my attention was 4 seasons obelisk I think it was called. I found it likeable as it was trying to be a Tenyo Diabolicus. But just looking at it and knowing the bag was essential to the method since they said so I knew how it was done.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Dragon Altar is very intricate in the Mechanics and it combine wood with brass and a metallic figure.......I think this one worth the money that they asked for it.

Another good example is Ultimate ZIg Zag Card which is much more complex in the mechanics than most of the releases from the last year.......but the cost of it was just about USD 100.-

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 pm

For $225 they should have come up with something custom to hold the brass plate. I think the binder clips cheapens it. Also a beautiful wood frame with a white board does not work for me either. It should have been slate to match the wood and the brass. If it needs to be a white board then an aluminum frame or something more modern would match better. Of course my complaints are all cosmetic and the effect might be great. But at the high price I think it is just as Important to get the astethics right. I am passing too.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Roberto B. wrote:
Another good example is Ultimate ZIg Zag Card which is much more complex in the mechanics than most of the releases from the last year.......but the cost of it was just about USD 100.-
I have been looking for this for over a year. Exactly one came up for sale and sold within 10 mins of being listed for $500! $100 is very reasonable, but $500 is insane. It's too bad so few of these items were made. Now the collector's market has prices that are crazy.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:11 am

Ultimate ZIg Zag Card wouldn't be THAT hard to make (Simon, Rob?) I think ... . It is a principle that has been used a lot, Tenyo's Illusionarium is a good example.
But for 100 USD you couldn't go wrong with Ultimate ZIg Zag Card. Unfortunately I didn't know about Magic Wagon at that time/I didn't receive their e-mails ... .

There are some raving reviews about Ghost Board, well that is to say some people know how it works and they find it worth the price. For me, no, not convinced. I think the handling will be akward with the 'flip-flapping' going on ;)
There are better ways to do these kinds of mentalism tricks in my opinion. But it might be just wat some performers need for their act, and if that is the case this could be a winner :)
Did anyone from this forum buy it? I prefer reviews on this forum since they appear more 'honest' to me ... .

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 pm

The problem I have with the Ghost board is writing on the back after asking the thought of item. Seems awkward. I agree with John M. that the white board is out of place with the nice wooden frame.