Saturday 12/13/14 — Save The Date, Save Your Money

Here we will announce such things as contests, important happenings for the Forum or its members and anything else that needs special attention.
JohnM
Site Admin

Saturday 12/13/14 — Save The Date, Save Your Money

Post by JohnM » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:13 pm

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Saturday 12/13/14 — Save The Date, Save Your Money

Post by SimonC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:11 pm

:D :D :D :D
that looks amazing john, I know how long you've been working on this so I have no doubt it will be a work of art.
a lot of thought and testing and trials has gone into this, john possesses a level of patience I can't get my head around, this will be exceptionally well made. it certainly looks very slick.
exciting stuff!!!
congratulations john :)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 am

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:52 am

oooohhh....
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:14 pm

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Phwoarrrr! It gets better and better! Love that clip too, nice touch :)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:58 pm

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:14 am

drumroll.......
:D
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:27 pm

woah! I love the look of this, I can't work out if that's some magic carpet/anti gravity rock technology on the mat, is the rubber floating? that's a spooky pic too. no idea what this trick is but it looks wicked!
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 pm

SimonC wrote:woah! I love the look of this, I can't work out if that's some magic carpet/anti gravity rock technology on the mat, is the rubber floating? that's a spooky pic too. no idea what this trick is but it looks wicked!
What you are looking at is Houdini's Spirit Slate.

What you are seeing is a handmade eraser. The top of the eraser is wood and the bottom is felt. The eraser is on top of a spirit slate card that goes into Houdini's Black Box blank and comes out with a message from a spirit, possibly from Houdini. When the message on the slate does not match the actual secret message (on a card in the string tied envelope) that Houdini told his wife for the purpose validating the possibility of talking to the dead, the eraser is taken to the message and just a handful of letters remain that spell out the secret message.

There is an anti gravity aspect to this trick. The magnets for the skins are reversed on one side of the Black Box device so you can have your spectator try and center the séance skin on the Black Box. The resistance is very strong and with the right spectator, the felling is as if a spirit is pushing back against them. It works very well and is spooky.

The very spooky picture is of a 1934 Arthur Conan Doyle séance. I then added Bess Houdini and the gentlemen surrounding her from a picture from the final Houdini séance of 1936.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:42 am

Epic :D
Awesome graphics :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:54 pm

got to be soon now....
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:49 pm

I did check at 15:16pm ;)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 pm

I am still writing. I have a few hours left. I think I will make it before the clock strikes midnight.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:59 am

Better late with the information than late for dinner. :) :D :lol:

http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/buysell/h ... black-box/

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:47 am

I can see why that took so long to prepare!
Congratulations on your new release John, I know you've been working on this a long time and it's clear to see why! I knew you were working up a new presentation based on Houdini but 3?! Wicked :)
I think you've created a new classic. Oh and thanks for adding the CNC pic, we need to promote manufacturing processes as much as possible, I can use that in my classes on Monday!
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:51 am

There sure seems to be a lot of work that went into this - congratulations! It looks great. I really would like to see a performance video of it :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:I really would like to see a performance video of it :)
Me Too!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Here is additional Information about the development of Houdini's Black Box that I just posted on the website. It will give you some insight into the development process. Sort of like a behind the scenes movie on a DVD.

About The Houdini’s Black Box Project

The Houdini’s Black Box Project has been in development for close to two years.

A few years ago I developed many add-ons to use with Tenyo’s Black Hole including the simplified versions of Houdini’s Metamorphosis Trunk and Houdini Handcuff Escape but many magician’s could not use them because they did not have Tenyo’s Black Hole. The Black Hole was so hard to find even if you were willing to pay a small fortune to get one. I had a broken Black Hole so I knew how it worked and I first made a version in plastic that worked well but did not look that great. I then created a CAD file for the device and brought it to a local machine shop to see how much it would cost to make the device using a CNC router machine. I thought that they would simply take the computer file and make the device, but it was not as simple as that. There was a lot of testing and set-up that took time and money but I stayed with the project and eventually had 50 devices made that cost many thousands of dollars.

My next goal was to have a hand lettering artist paint the monogram on the device in gold paint. I thought this would be a simple task as well but I went to three different artists and none could do it well. I never met with a forth artist who showed some great hand lettering work on his website because his estimate was $120 per device. The search for a hand letterer ate up a lot of time. Finally my friend Simon in the UK did a test with a laser machine and we learned that with a low powered laser, the image could be etched into just the surface of the device. Since the power was low, it only removed the flat black anodized layer and did not cut the aluminum. I did not want laser etching that cut into the aluminum because it is a modern process and Houdini’s Black Box is something that Houdini supposedly carried around with him back in the early 1900’s. I found a place locally to etch the monogram into the device and I do them 10 at a time.

Besides spending a lot of time getting the hardware right, I spent a good amount of time working on the routines until they were just right as well. The routines are solid and each is different even though they use the same method.

I looked long and hard for the right photography to use with the three presentations and then I had to perform some really difficult photo retouching with some of the images. The modified photo’s for the Houdini Handcuff Escape took days of work until it looked right.

I also looked long and hard for the right materials to use with the three presentations. I bought four different chains, three different handcuffs, two different leather ropes and many different magnets before I found the perfect ones.

I tried many different printing processes and papers to get the right feel and look to the cards, skins and posters. In the end I decided that I would print, trim and finish all the cards in house so I could control the quality of the printing. I have printed many pages of tests to get the right color that is rich and accurate. Four different high quality papers are used to make the 24 provided cards, 4 skins and 3 posters. I use a new X-Acto blade for each Black Box set so that the cuts are as clean as can be.

Since I make much of this by hand, each Houdini Black Box is made to order. I would estimate that it would be about 2 weeks from order to shipping for each item.

Houdini’s Black Box is not a limited edition in the traditional sense. I do not want to create a situation that someone is buying this because if they don’t act quickly, they will miss out on getting it. I want each person to have and take their time to evaluate Houdini’s Black Box before purchasing it. This is not an inexpensive trick, but the value and the amount of magic that you get for your money is far greater than what you get from others currently making premium micro magic items. I am totally sure that this is a great item and will sell well based on it’s own merits. Since I make all the cards by hand there is only so many that I can and I am willing to make so it is limited in that sense. I had 50 devices made in the first run and I am not sure if I will make more. I can’t imagine more than 200 of these being made but like I said, I want everyone that wants one to get one without having to pay exorbitant secondary market prices.

Houdini’s Black Box is something to be played with and performed. It is not made to be a magic collectible that looks good in your collection but is never used. It is a lot of fun to play and practice with.

Since I enjoy using Houdini’s Black Box it will always be evolving and improving. There are already two more unique presentations that will be available with magnetic skins that will be sold separately. Also I will have available for sale replacement cards and parts. I plan on making a performance pack which would include a full set of cards to use so you can keep a set of mint cards.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:36 pm

I am really impressed with the enormous development time that went into your Houdini project John, and it's also great to hear that this item is meant to perform, not to stand on the shelf like most of the Magic Wagon item.
And because the quality is outstanding it can be performed over and over again without fear of ruining the prop. It is also great to hear that spare cards can be ordered afterwards, and even alternative cards.
That us also the nice thing, that it remains a work in progress concerning routines and cards.

Anyway, I already sent you a mail to order one, and will wait patiently when mine is ready to ship!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 am

Congratulations John!!

I know that you have been working on this since a long ago.

It looks fantastic!!

Perfection, perseverance and passion.....all in one!!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:43 am

JohnM wrote:Since I enjoy using Houdini’s Black Box it will always be evolving and improving.
As I was making the first HBB sets for three members of the forum, I came up with an improvement.

The back of the secret card for the Houdini's Spirit Slate was previously blank as seen in the top left of the picture. The back will now be a replica of an actual Houdini business card. This adds to the set another historical Houdini artifact. I was thinking that maybe Houdini wrote the message on a playing card or a business card. When I found the image of the business card, I knew it would be perfect. It had to be recreated from scratch so that it will look as good as a printed business card and not a low res internet image.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 pm

C 8-) 8-) L!
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:39 am

Wow! Great to see the official release! I saw this at John's house a while ago and it is really fantastic. One very nice thing about it is that if the gimmick gets jammed, it can be unscrewed and repaired. The quality of everything is really top notch and the cards look great.