LOST POSTS ON THIS FORUM

Here we will announce such things as contests, important happenings for the Forum or its members and anything else that needs special attention.
JohnM
Site Admin

LOST POSTS ON THIS FORUM

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:33 pm

Rob emailed me and pointed out that posts since Aug 22nd have disappeared from the forum and he asked If we did a migration recently.

Yes

On Aug 24th when it was time to renew my contract with the service provider it was recommended that I migrate to their newest servers. I was against this but he said the server I was on was being decommissioned sooner than later and he said he would help me do it. I reluctantly agreed to migrate. I thought we successfully moved everything over but yesterday I found out that was not true.

Yesterday both the forum and website were down. It turns out this guy just told me "whatever" to make the new sale. The database files he copied to the new server were never configured. I only found out there was a problem when the previous hosting plan expired after the grace period. Yesterday the tech guy configured the files properly but those were the files copied on Aug 24th (the current database files were deleted when the plan expired yesterday).

I may be able to call and see if they can get the latest database file from "their" back-ups and restore that but then everything from the Sept 15 until when they actually do it will be lost.

So my felling is to just go forward with the loss of messages and not try and restore.

I am not sure what we lost but if you guys feel strongly about trying to get the old data back, let me know and I will look into it. Otherwise we will grin and bear it.

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: LOST POSTS ON THIS FORUM

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:36 pm

BTW I renewed for three years so we should be good for a while

ALSO

Recent new members might have to rejoin

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Well, recently I checked my number of posts, they were 1707.
Now they are reduced to 1662 :(

So 45 posts lost, concerning me.

Not to speak of lost posts of other members.

It must be fate, but I find it pretty amateurish of that guy that isn't able to do a proper migration.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:55 pm

No problem John. We're all gratefull you make this forum 'happen' and that on YOUR expense. Things like these happen.

Lots of posts are lost but that only prooves how popular your forum had become!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:06 pm

I told the tech guy that I want the sales guy reported. He agreed. He said sometimes guys like that slip in.

I think that sales guy was probably a used car salesman before selling hosting services.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Slimy.
Thanks so much for saving the forum John, it's always scary to log on and see the gray screen of doom!
So have three more years in the wood, that's great news! Let us know if we can contribute :)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:50 pm

That's a great idea Simon I was thinking of myself already. :)
Those who can afford can make a donation to JohnM, and I would be the first to do this, because this forum has become invaluable to me.

Maybe a Donate banner is a good idea. As at the Magic Cafe.

And sorry for being a bit pissed off but I am a very active member here but it's what David and Simon say, we're glad that this forum is still in the air. :)

If many people donate a small amount, say 10 $, that would help John a lot!

What do you think guys?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Thank you for the offer guys but no need, it does not cost that much and we are all paid up until August 2019.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Yes it is too bad about the many lost posts. I believe everyone can kind of remember what many were about and post them again. Rob knows he has 45 missing so he will know when he is close to replacing his back. I have no idea what my count was I don't ever look at it. But will look around to see what I think is missing. Mine aren't as important and won't be missed like most others.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:28 pm

This type of thing is not uncommon. Nothing on the internet holds a guarantee of "forever." Posts have been lost on both The Magic Cafe and The Genii Forum.

As John says, it's best to just go forward. If you can remember some of the missing posts, then repost them. If not, then they probably weren't that important.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:00 am

Hi John,
Thanks a lot for your effort taking care all the problems. This community means a lot to me. I have to agree to go forward and we try our best to restore the missing threads. Many thanks again John and all FSO members.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:41 am

Well... that explains some of the PMs that are missing, as well.

I migrated the IBM ring site and lecture site I manage a few years ago, and while the damage in migration wasn't significant it did leave me curious as to how something that should be a core competency of the hosting service can go so wrong.

I also agree with the others, and would be willing to offer a donation to keep this forum in place, even beyond the current three-year term.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:21 pm

I also am more than willing to make the donation to keep this forum up and running. ;)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:53 am

Thank you for keeping the forums alive! Very grateful that we are all able to congregate here!

It's unfortunate that we lost so many posts. Kind of odd that they weren't able to get it all. Weird.
Where's my colon?!