T-167 Future Clock

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-167 Future Clock

10 One of the Best
15%
09 Superior
23%
08 Excellent
15%
07 Very Good
38%
06 Pretty Good
8%
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 13

JohnM
Site Admin

T-167 Future Clock

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:07 am

Name: Future Clock

T-Number: T-167

Inventor: Toru Suzuki

Year: 1994

PICTURES of T-167 Future Clock

VIDEO of T-167 Future Clock

Future Clock on PLANET TENYO

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: T-167 Future Clock

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:33 am

Future Clock is one of the Tenyo effects that I have never performed for anyone. And while I really like the concept and the fact the clock and holder are examinable I did have problems getting the 'exact' hour when I tried it out. But this has to do with me not practicing enough I suppose ;)

As far as routines go I think it is nice to draw a clock on a piece of paper and let the spectator draw the hand of the clock. You then pull the clock out of its case and behold ... it matches.

Another possibility is use another magic effect in combination with Future Clock. The spectator writes his hour on a piece of paper while the magician doesn't look. The magician then 'peeks' (by using another magic trick/method) and without knowing the time the spectator chose, the Future Clock is taken out of the holder and the time matches.
The best idea using 'another' trick is a routine by John Mazza called 'Sherlock Holmes Clock': http://funstuffonly.com/tenyo/buysell/add-ons-for-sale/ which uses Mindscanner to devine the chosen time.
If you don't have Mindscanner you can also use a light colored (actually more or less see-through) manilla envelope to put the card in. The manila envelope is then put into another envelope. The concept is used by Paul Daniels in his ESP mind reading trick which you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkrdiSlUFnk . It is basically Larry Becker's PSYCHO (which I am happy to own) that he performs.

And why not use a 12-sided die and take advantage of the fantastic Die Divination Box magic trick :idea:

So many possibilities ... I should really give this trick a chance :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 am

I`m the one at the moment who give 10 for this trick. The main reason, this is one of Tenyo trick with very clever mechanism from my opinion and it is possible to hand out for examination because of the locking system. Although this was made from plastic and need extra care to handle it, it was beautifully made and reminds me on the the classic magic clock made by Jean Robert Houdin in the 19th century. And of course, the combination with Big Ben and Sherlock Holmes story made this trick perfect. Thanks JohnM for the ideas.

I strongly remember at the time I bought this trick, although I had already the clock in hands and see how it worked, I still had no idea on how could the needle move. There were no connections between the needle and the clock itself and that fooled me badly. Until I finally realized that the illusion was so perfect and really fool my eyes. I still feel very lucky to own this as one of the best Tenyo has invented and as probably best plastic version Tenyo has ever made ;)
Last edited by VictorS on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 am

vsuperanto wrote: I strongly remember at the time I bought this trick, although I have already the clock in hands and see how it worked, I still have no idea on how could the needle move. There are no connections between the needle and the clock itself and that fooled me badly. Until i finally realize that the illusion is so perfect and really fool your eyes. I still feel very lucky to own this as one of the best Tenyo has invented. ;)
I was also fooled by the needle move......... :shock:

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:42 am

vsuperanto wrote:I strongly remember at the time I bought this trick, although I have already the clock in hands and see how it worked, I still have no idea on how could the needle move. There are no connections between the needle and the clock itself and that fooled me badly. Until i finally realize that the illusion is so perfect and really fool your eyes. I still feel very lucky to own this as one of the best Tenyo has invented. ;)
Good point. Most people miss that. I did for a long time. The hands move but they seem to be not attached to anything. No gears no nothing. Really cool.

I gave it (6) Very Good because there is really no good presentation for it.

Here is a confession. I have never performed Future Clock for anyone and I have never performed Sherlock Holmes Clock for anyone as well. I carry the Future Clock and Mind Scanner in my case all the time but have yet to go to it. Someday the situation will be right and I will spring it on someone, maybe a history lover. But it hasn't happened yet.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:13 pm

I love the workings and that it is a tenyo with a slightly higher skill level with remembering the positions on the chain. What I would love and what would make me use it more if it was a pocket watch size. I would use it all the time as a wearable trick.
It's still a great part of my collection
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:22 pm

I remember when I received this I was very surprised as to how big it is. But I actually like the fact that it is nice and big and I think this is one of the nicest looking props that Tenyo has made.

I agree it needs a good routine for it to be a really great trick. I also think the move that has to be done is a little suspicious especially since the focus is on the clock when the move is done. I've tried it on a couple of family members and they noticed it right away. But then again they have seen a couple of hundred Tenyo tricks so they know what to look for. Maybe others would not notice as much.

Shan

Post by Shan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:07 pm

This is one of the tricks I don't have and like the sound of it...
But I realize it rarely appears on eBay or magic stores...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Siusiuc wrote:But I realize it rarely appears on eBay or magic stores...
Not true they are on ebay all the time and the prices are pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... ld=1&rt=nc

Including one right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TENYO-T-167-FUT ... 3f3c7e18cc

Shan

Post by Shan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:57 pm

No wonder... I always go to eBay.ca.....
Thanks john! I have messages the dealer to see if he is willing to sell for $70 uSD including shipping to canada

MerlinsMagicShopMike

Post by MerlinsMagicShopMike » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 am

I don't agree that there is no good presentation for this trick as its always been one of my favorites and also one of my most used Tenyos. Many of my personal favorite tricks revolve around time,watches and ordinary objects. This one fits right in to my routine and is easy to carry and perform. I will agree that it requires a bit of practice to get the correct hour every time, but I have used it and practiced it enough that it is now second nature and I can get it right every time. Mind reading tricks are great but I find that many people are much more impressed when the element of time is involved. The best magic is magic which follows a story line, if you create an interesting story to go with your magic routine you can draw people in to the point where they are actually spell bound and as such even small effects become amplified and then build to a final mind blowing climax. When people who know me ask me to repeat a trick or an effect they usually say "hey can you tell us that story about the time traveller again", or "how about the one about the Gypsy lady".I like to take several tricks and create a little story and work in the tricks to the story. I've had pretty good success at it and people obviously like it better than just demonstrating single tricks.