Finger Chopper

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Pete1805

Finger Chopper

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 am

Snapshot_20150214.JPG
A wooden frame is shown with a finger sized hole through the centre. Out of this frame slides a solid wooden plate with a hole through its centre too. The plate is reinserted in the frame and raised. A spectator inserts their finger into the frame and the plate miraculously passes through the finger. At this point the frame can be cleanly pulled apart and the spectator can remove their finger complete with the solid wooden plate still, somehow, completely wrapped around it. Very different in presentation and effect to most other finger choppers and guillotines on the market.
http://vimeo.com/85274184
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Finger Chopper

Post by SimonC » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 am

Just watched the video for this, very cool :)
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 am

Quite a novel way this is done, think it would be better with a carrot or a cigaror even a silk ,a rolled up playing card :D

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:57 am

This is a great twist on the finger chopper effect. The spectator is usual quite confused at how there finger ended up in the middle of the blade. I was lucky enough to purchase one of the original copies on EBay. They were made by Charles Miller and copy righted back in 1985. My copy is signed by him and carries the model number W-1800. A great little effect!
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am

That looks very nice Peter with the contrasting colors and the fineal on top :D

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:09 am

He made it from Walnut wood. I bet it would be pretty easy to make a base for your version and I wonder if a small drawer pull could substitute for the fineal. In a perfect world it would be cool if both our copies had a metal blade versus the wooden blades, but that is most likely difficult to for a manufacturer to make. ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:10 pm

Really an impossible looking effect! Luckily the female assistant smiled during the chopping of her finger, so no harm was done!

I only have the finger chopper of which I made a video.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:12 pm

I mean Knife through finger:

http://youtu.be/p3BhH9pb6Vk

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Hey Rob, that's cool, I've never seen that effect before and I like the idea behind what is going on. Thanks for posting the video link!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks Peter! Recently I bought a creepy magic set, and to my surprise this effect was enclosed too!

It is very deceptive and a very clever principle!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:33 am

A wonderfull trick indeed, one of the few tricks that is always ready to go! I actually forgot all about it untill Pete brought it to my attention - it is now in my 'go to box' :)
I bought mine at Goochelstudio Kali in Dordrecht - Netherlands. The shop owner ('Kali') had closed his shop (retirement) but I asked him if I could look through his old stuff on a sunday afternoon and he was willing to do that. I drove to Dordrecht and bought some old Tenyo and asked if he had some other interesting stuff. He opened an old cabinet and took a box with a VIKING label on it, took this chopper and performed it on my finger. I was like WHAT THE ...?!
Your version looks beautifull Peter!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 am

Does anyone own a copy of the Clarence Miller finger chopper? I was told that the cheaper copies do not work properly.

I would love to own one of those numbered walnut originals! The Viking one not so much.

I would aporeciate any info you could provide me concerning the one or two copies floating around.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!