This one baffled me...

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: This one baffled me...

Post by SimonC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 pm

it may be we've cracked an even simpler and more devilish method!
Now you see me...

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

I have something like it in a small version but uses something different but the same idea if you know what i mean :D

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Simon, with you guys that's a possibility for sure :)

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

I agree with Simon, maybe we have come up with a simpler method? Now I'm curious to see if I'm on the right track, I'll pm you David to see if what I'm thinking is the same or different than Mikame's method.

What I do find funny is that although Simon and I have not spoken about this effect, I'm 100% certain that we are both thinking the same thing :D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 am

I'll pm you Peter with what I think. if we're on the same page you could definitely make one with your fine woodworking skills :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:31 am

This will be quite difficult to produce yourself, trust me. It's one of those effects that is almost impossible to make without the correct equipments/tools, materials and gaffs/gimmickery. It's NOT as simple as: one side of the block has a m****t that gets attracked to 'another m****t' in the 't***''. There's a bit more to it ;)

This trick is one of the most 'examinable' penetration effects I have. And there's nothing taken away or added, it just works when you take it to perform.
Another very examinable version of this block on rod/stick effect is actually Tenyo's version (Super Phanto Block): it works like many other versions but at the end it is completely examinable.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 am

my question is... if it isn't so simple but would still work if it was, what are the pros of making it more complex? I'm glad to hear there's nothing else added or taken away and that it simply 'works', that's intriguing:)
just please tell me it's not a bendy knife ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 am

It is not Simon :)
Oh and don't get me wrong, it is not THAT complex of course, but there's something added by Mr. Mikame that makes this one 99,99% examinable. And it's all in the apparatus. I've never seen this 'special thing' (or better 'special principle') in any other magic trick.
By the way there's one part of the routine that's not very easy to perform - not vary hard either, but still ... . Tenyo's version is easier for example.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:14 am

Ok David and I have now talked and I must now bow to the great thinker that Mikame was! My version would work and is nice and simple but Mikame went that extra mile and added a little extra feature that makes examination pretty much fool proof. I love the fact that I now see that he one upped my way of thinking, and it gives me a new found respect for the genius he was!!!
Last edited by PeterW on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 am

yep, fair do's that's a very clever gimmick indeed. it's like an insurance policy which covers all eventualities. Peter you and I were still 96.5% there, don't be too hard on yourself ;)
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 am

:D

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Good evening all, I was in my shed yesterday and found my prototypes for dice tower. They are the three featured in this thread and the videos I made whilst developing the trick. They all work well and might be fun to try and customise, it'd make a fun weekend project :)
If anyone is interested and would like to make me an offer then just send me a PM.
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi guys I only have the black version left now, it goes from black dice with white spots to coloured sides with black dots. It works great and if anyone is interested just drop me a PM :)
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sat May 09, 2015 9:04 am

Finger Houdini by Sugawara:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 am

Do WHAT to houdini?!?
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat May 09, 2015 10:28 am

Just saw the video, is this just a case of turning the hand under the hanky, releasing the stick the repositioning it and turning the hand back before the hanky is removed?
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat May 09, 2015 11:53 am

I don't know SImon (I would hope not), but I like it :) Not as a magic trick, because there is a handkerchief that hides 'the move' (which takes a pretty long time to be honest), but it's a cool puzzle!
My guess was some g*** on one of the fingers, but that would be a bit too obvious I suppose.

And yeah ... the title of the demo is a bit akward, I noticed that too when I first saw it this morning :lol:

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat May 09, 2015 12:07 pm

This link will work for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SXaNiwwg_8

Don't think there's any glue used. Look at how easily the guy drops the dowel at the end.

I was fooled.

There's a long tradition of certain magic tricks taking place under a handkerchief or some kind of cover. Just because the magic doesn't happen visibly does not mean it's not a magic trick. I think this is a magic trick, not a puzzle.

$28 bucks from Seo-Magic and I bought one!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat May 09, 2015 12:15 pm

I've got it. I just made one in card and if you notice in the video, the three fingers not in the trap are curled up. As soon as the hanky goes over you uncurl your fingers and drop the stick then as soon as the trap is pulled away your finger and thumb pick it back up.
Perhaps it's called finger houdini because houdini used to tense up his muscles as he was tied up then when he relaxed they would just fall off, a bit like curling up and uncurling the fingers
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat May 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Maybe. One thing is obvious from the price alone ($30) is that it has no moving parts. Seo-Magic's description also says that nothing is added or taken away.

But I don't know if you be certain of picking up the small piece of wood quickly enough if you can't see it.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat May 09, 2015 10:19 pm

I believe that Simon nailed it.

I just tried that solution with an extra dowel and it works flawlessly.

If you don't have a dowel, pick up one of your "Flash drives," and you will see how easy it is to drop, and retrieve it with the thumb and forefinger.
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun May 10, 2015 4:54 am

If you have Ikea stuff, plenty of dowels there too :)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 am

Simon, it seems to me that this trick would look even more baffling if the three curled fingers had been purposely pointed upwards and away from the thumb and forefinger. (As in making an "OK" sign)

Then under cover, the fingers would curl in to do the deed.
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon May 11, 2015 2:03 am

I'll give it a go :)
Now you see me...

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 pm

The first time I viewed the video Finger Houdini, I was not impressed. I agree with Simon's explanation. However, just a while ago, Japanese magician Shohei Moriyama gave a lecture at our magic club. His lecture was about the creations of Sugarawa. One of the tricks he showed us was this trick. He used a very small handkerchief and I did not see any finger movement. Although he explained how it's done, l still bought the trick.

The secret to this trick is that there is a move using the middle finger only. The ring and little finger does not move. Like the Linking Cigarettes the middle finger does a secret move but the moves are entirely different. The secret move is not difficult but requires practice to do it without fumbling. The copy that l got has no English instructions but Shohei gave me a brief demontration on how to do it.

The other tricks that I bought are the Uki Uki Card and Holely Stick. I like Holely Stick very much.